You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Occurrences At My Parents' House

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Occurrences At My Parents' House

 

From the age of about four until I left for college, I lived with my parents in a house surrounded by woods. It wasn't that far back from the road, but just far enough that it was considered to be "in the woods". That alone was kind of creepy, but at least it was explainable. I should mention that my parents built the house, so anyone living/dying there before us is out of the question.

A few months after moving in, I began to notice strange things. One night I woke up in the middle of the night to see a large black figure standing in my doorway, which was always left open. At the time my bed directly faced the door, so I got a good look at it. It didn't have any features. It looked human, but it was tall--it took up the entire space. It appeared to be casually leaning, just looking at me. I wasn't scared, and I went back to sleep.

Later, my bed was moved to the adjacent wall and I could see all the way down the hall from there. A few times from here, always in the morning, I saw a white furry figure, about the size and height of a cat, materialize from nowhere and run down the stairs. We never had any pets.

These experiences confused me more than anything, and I never mentioned them to my parents. My dad completely disregarded any possibility of anything paranormal, the reason for which I didn't find out until years later, and would have told me I'd been reading too many stories. My mom pretty much agrees with anything he says, so I couldn't tell her either.

I also got a weird feeling in the living room, and after a few years I stopped playing in there altogether. I often felt a presence watching me from the doorway or the windows. There was also an old electric (Hammond?) organ in this room that I'll mention again later.

I didn't have any experiences again that I remember until I was in high school, when I first started staying home alone in the afternoons until my parents got home, which was usually late at night.

One afternoon, shortly after I had come home, I was in the den watching TV when I heard a noise in the garage. It sounded like something had fallen or been knocked over, but then it happened again. And again. I thought someone had broken in, so I grabbed my phone, ran upstairs, and locked myself in the bathroom. I called my parents, who came home to find everything in place. I got a very stern "talking to" about my "little joke" after that.

Not long after this, I was watching TV upstairs one night in bed waiting for them to come home. I had the TV on quiet enough so that I would hear the door open when they got home. I heard a squeaking sound and thought it was the door, so I turned the volume down. It sounded like music playing somewhere, but it was just a short phrase, like a broken record. This went on for a good ten minutes before I figured out it was coming from the Hammond organ, which hadn't worked in years (kept for sentimental reasons, I guess), and was unplugged (I checked), downstairs, all the way at the opposite end of the house. I went back to my room to find that a music box I kept on my dresser was playing on its own, unwound. Needless to say I was more than a little creeped out. I put it in my closet under a blanket and for the rest of the night I turned the TV volume up nearly all the way so I couldn't hear it. By the time I went to bed both things had stopped.

The last experience I had while actually living there happened while my parents were home. I was in my room reading when I heard a booming crack and just about hit the ceiling. It had come from the corner of the room opposite me. My parents heard it too. My bedroom adjoined the garage attic and my dad thought a beam had split. But we all went out to check the garage, and it was fine. We went around the front and back of the house to see if any windows or frames had broken, and everything was perfectly intact.

I went back to visit for Christmas a couple years ago. I was only there for three days, and got absolutely no sleep. The ominous feeling had gotten worse since I had left, and it now felt like it was encompassing the entire house. The night before I was leaving, I had just showered and was brushing my hair in front of the mirror in the bathroom. The vanity in that bathroom is separated from the rest by a door, with another leading out into the hallway. There are three mirrors--one that takes up the wall in front of the sink, and two medicine cabinets on either side. If the door is left open (which it was), you can see the reflection of the hallway in the largest mirror. I had just finished with my hair and was about to turn off the light when I saw my mom walking down the hallway in the reflection. She got about halfway to the bathroom door and vanished, almost in a dissolving kind of way. I looked again and nothing was there. Sure enough, she was in bed asleep.

I have not been back to their house for a while now, and I wonder sometimes if it's gotten even worse since. I know if I ask them they'll just deny anything, and I certainly don't want to go back and find out.

Other hauntings by SanguineConscripte

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SanguineConscripte, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

SanguineConscripte (3 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-06)
Hi, all...

To answer your questions:

Yes, my parents still live there. I don't. I moved away for college and live a long way away.

We were probably not the first people to live on that land... My dad once mentioned one of his concerns when the foundation was being dug was "unearthing a dead Indian" (nice guy, eh?)...when we moved there, this place was in the middle of absolute nowhere.

My dad denied existence of the paranormal because my grandfather (his father) was a sensitive and would tell me about things that he had seen. My father claimed this was pure BS. I meant to tie this information in with another post which I haven't gotten around to writing yet.

My parents don't seem to be bothered by any of this at all, but when I went back for a few days I felt like something was watching me all the time. I don't think they pick up on anything, and I considered it best at the time to leave well enough alone.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-22)
SanguineConscripte: I can understand how your parents will not relate to you regarding these experiences, and I truthfully believe they have had there own experiences but do not wish to acknowledge it, it is very frustrating indeed.
As it has already been touched on I have a feeling that whatever this is it is either connected to the land or a particular object within the home or around the home. I hope you get to find out more information regarding this and hopefully one day your parents will open up more to you regarding these expereinces etc. Thank you for sharing with us. 😊

Dan
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-21)
a) As kunwarkh inquired, I'd like to know the reason for which your father disregarded any possibility of anything paranormal.

B) People may think ghosts, but given my own personal experiences in life, I wonder if perhaps you're experiencing what I like to call a time lapse. Basically, you see and/or hear something that happened in the near past or future, and it doesn't line up correctly with the present. Even a fuzzy white creature could just be a *future* pet, in my mind.

C) The black form, since it didn't scare you, may have been some sort of being watching over you. Or it was the remnants of someone from the past or future. In any case, I don't chalk this up purely to spirit activity.

I'd be asking my mom if she's ever had premonitions or seen into other people's pasts or futures.
LilyOfWartune (19 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-18)
Ghost not only haunt houses and buildings, you know... They can haunt any land, property and such. This might be it
They may attracted to your house, maybe because as you said, surrounded by woods... Which makes it very quiet and quite isolated to small extent. Ghosts likes quiet places

And you should talk to your parents, they may deny it but you can see their reactions to find out they hiding something. They maybe refuse to tell because didn't want to make you worried, or perhaps even embarrassed to admit that you were right
And...are they still living there?
savsavvy1023 (1 stories) (42 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-18)
I know you said you were the first people to live in that house, but were you the first people to live on that land? Try doing some research. I definitely think you should talk to someone about what has happened. At least mention something to your mom. She might know something. Good luck! 😁
Rajen (2 stories) (12 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-17)
Hi SanguineConscripte,
This is indeed more scary and creepy. If you feel that it is going to get worse, you first need a confirmation from who is currently living there to know what is exactly happening. Did you ever get to talk to your Mom recently about the events? If not do it immediately. You will get more questions than answers if you talk to them, but it will help you clear your mind. But from what you have shared, my feeling is that, there is some entity that has been with the family for long. Dont know if it wants to communicate or something but it for sure makes its presence felt. Talk to someone from the house as soon as possible.
Momin-Helper (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-17)
I've encountered with some of the things like you have. But certainly yours is worst.

My dad's an army person so we get posted to a different city after every two years. There was this one city, that we had to live in for 6 years. It was like something was stopping us from going anywhere else. In that city 'we' used to see a lot of paranormal things and supernatural creatures. It freaked out almost all of us, except my dad, he never saw anything and never believed us. When we left that city, I didn't feel anything for 2 years, until we moved to the capital of my country (a little away from the capital actually). Here I saw doubles of my own family. For instance, few seconds ago, I see my mom sitting in her own room, I come out, go towards the kitchen and she's right there opening the fridge and getting something to eat. I also tried to talk with her in the kitchen "that you were in your room right now" and all I got was that she was in the kitchen for a long time. Now I didn't discuss anything about this with anyone except my mom in the last days of us staying near the capital city. It was a little late ofcourse so I never figured who was the double of my mom, as she didn't remember anything like that too (so I only think that the one in the room was actual her, as she should've remembered me asking her about the room in the kitchen if it was her in the kitchen, but what can I say, she has memory loss problems). She believed me and comforted me. And helped me in her own religious way (PRAYING).

My point is that talk about this to your MOM, or some other relative or anyone. But you need to get this open so you can be comforted instead of taking it all in alone:) And once again go back into their house without worrying of creeping out.
kunwarkh (2 stories) (55 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-17)
'My dad completely disregarded any possibility of anything paranormal, the reason for which I didn't find out until years later'

I'm sorry, did you find out why your dad denied anything paranormal? Can you please share...

It was really a scary account. I think you should have a talk with atleast your mother, if not with both your parents. They may be in trouble you know, you said you felt that it was worse when you went back. You should make sure your parents and you are on the same page. Just make sure nothing too serious is happening.

But that's just my opinion, apologies if I've said anything wrong. You know better ofcourse 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: