You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Papa And My Family

Real Ghost Stories

Papa And My Family

 

I want to start this off with my own background. I am not a religious person, most would consider me to be an Agnostic, but I more personally identify myself with the overall concept of Deism. I am really the only member of my family with this set of beliefs, which has alienated me in a way. Because of a traumatic childhood, I am overly protective of those whom I love. That all being said, I have a couple of, if nothing else, interesting occurrences revolving around the same past member of my wife's family in my home. This is the first:

In 2008 my wife and I bought a brand new house in a development that had only been started about 4 years earlier. The home is a beautiful, if a little small, double floor 3 bedroom home that is the complete embodiment of what we wanted in a first home.

We had talked about starting a family, and in January of 2010 we welcomed our son into this world. My wife always lamented that her Grandfather, affectionately called Papa even to this day, was not alive to see him. Apparently Papa had a way with children, they always seemed to calm around him regardless of how "worked up" they may have been.

My son was an early bloomer during the first year of his life, walking on his own by 8 months of age, talking in full, coherent sentences by the time he was 1 year old. Now, understand, at this point in time we hadn't told him anything about Papa, nor had anyone else in the family.

In our living room we have a sectional couch and to the left of that is a recliner with a lamp in between. The lamp has 3 shelves, and on the third stands a small urn containing a small amount of Papa's ashes. One day, just shy of my son's first birthday, he approached the lamp with a wide happy smile, pointed to the urn and said "Papa, there's Papa". We still haven't told him much about Papa, but my son refers to him on occasion, even saying "I love Papa".

This occurrence chilled me a little, mainly because my previous life experiences with the paranormal were more frightening than comforting, but knowing that such a beloved, loving member of my extended family may be watching over my house, wife and son, sets the protective side of me at ease. I see it this way, while I don't always believe stories that I am told about the paranormal, I like having the feeling that someone is protecting the spiritual side of my home and its inhabitants while I protect the physical. That brings me to part two of this story.

Right around my son's second birthday my mother came to visit. She attempts to make a trip every January from Florida. My whole life I remembering my mother being very sensitive to the things that most of us cannot perceive in this world. On this particular visit, she was having some issues with her respiratory system, I believe due to some new medication she was taking.

One night during her stay I woke to what sounded like her having a nightmare. I went into our guest bedroom and roused her and she went right back into a restful sleep after thanking me. The next morning, she shared what happened. She was having a hard time breathing, and in her dream she say a figure of a tall man standing at the foot of her bed. She couldn't make out his face or any other features. From the story she told me, the figure started at the foot of her bed, touching her foot in a very soothing manner, then would walk around the right side of the bed and touch her arm and chest (not breasts, chest) in the same soothing manner. She said that she was frightened, but knew that this entity was not there to harm her.

After a couple of passes from the foot of the bed to the right, the figure vanished, that was about the time that I woke her. I asked her to show me where in the room the figure vanished. She took me into the room and stood in the far corner, just next to the head of the right side of the bed. The gears in my head started turning and I pieced it all together quite quickly. The spot she was standing on is directly above the lamp that Papa's ashes sit on. This is about the time that the touches, and their placement have some significance.

My mother has Rheumatoid Arthritis, the kind that has been know to claim lives, and affects every area of the body that has cartilage. This particular visit, she was having some problems with the joints in her feet, ankles, elbows and because of the respiratory problems, her sternum as well. The next day, after this experience, those aches and pains had been reduced to a dull ache and by bed time, they were gone, as was the respiratory issue.

Before I went to bed that night, I touched the urn and thanked Papa for protecting my family.

Other hauntings by abelievermetalfan

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, abelievermetalfan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

clarencetuvera (7 stories) (41 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
Love from beyond! What can top that warm feeling? Lovin' your story this ^________________^ much!
esther91 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
Thank you for the beautiful post. It probably brought me the closest to crying I mean more than any posts I've read recently. Sorry recently lost a loved one and your post brought on an ache of sadness/love. Sounds strange anyway thank you again for sharing. Sorry for the babbling:)
❤ Esther
abelievermetalfan (4 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Thank you all so much for the compliments! While I never met Papa, my wife tells me how awesome he was. She would visit him every day from the time she was a child until the day he passed. I know that they had a special bond, so I find it very easy to believe that he would want to keep her and her loved ones safe.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-22)
Lovely story, just lovely. Papa sounds amazing, you are all blessed.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
shhh_im_sleeping (14 stories) (62 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-21)
I enjoyed your story as well. Another confirmation that after we pass, our spirits do not. Having a "guardian angel" within your home is a blessing. It's rare and I understand your religious views but PaPa's presence is a true blessing.
Ghost_Girl1993 (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-20)
This is a very touching, comforting story. I am sure your father loves you all and is keeping watch over you. It is so nice to hear a happy story on this site. Best of luck!
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-10-20)
abelievermetalfan,
Well, today I've been catching up on reading stories on this site, but not commenting. A rarity for me, as I can usually think of something to say. But story, after story, my mind either would not formulate a cohesive sentence, or what I wanted to say had already been said time and again. (Goes like that sometimes.) Then I read about Papa. This is a real feel-good piece. In reading about his protectiveness of your family (and probably you too) I felt comfort, and I thank you for that. (Personal issues today.)
Thank you so much for sharing this.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-20)
Woops, I mean elbowing my great grandmother. Saw it as I clicked and then the phone wouldn't work in the clowd cover.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-19)
It's the oniuns again. Every time. A very beautiful story. You know, he could go to the light if he wanted to. Maybe he - knowing you have trauma issues and a need to protect- has decided to stay in your corner so you know families work this way and your neverr going to be alianated now. He probably is elowing my greatgrandmother. Awesome gentelman.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-19)
This is a beautiful story. It brought tears to my eyes. Definitely favoriting this. Thanks for sharing!
RoMaNzQ (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-19)
Hi there abelievermetalfan,

This is such an amazingly beautiful story. It has warmed my heart. As human beings, we always wonder what happens to our loved ones once they leave this world... It is such a sense of comfort to know that our dearly departed may leave us in the physical world but continue to watch over us and protect us from the spiritual world.

Thank you for sharing this heart warming story with us. It has definitely made me feel all kinds of wonderful ❤

Blessed Be
RomanzQ
savsavvy1023 (1 stories) (42 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-18)
This is truly a touching story. Papa sounded like a great man, in life, and now in death. Thanks for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: