You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Mist On The Basement Stairwell

Real Ghost Stories

The Mist On The Basement Stairwell

 

Let me start by telling you that I volunteer at a haunted house that is put on for 3 weekends in October. It's such a fun place to volunteer, and I'm SO glad that I got involved.

Let me tell you a little bit about the building. The FIRST (yes first) building was built in the the late 1800's, and burnt down 10 YEARS TO THE DAY that it was built. It was rebuilt (obviously) in around 1900-1910. Anyway, this building is actually a Masonic Temple, and the proceeds from the haunted house go towards the restorations of this historic building, and towards keeping it open, keeping electricity on, etc.

Anyway, I had never been one to believe in ghosts. I need proof of something before I believe. I'm 17, hard-headed, and have to have evidence for EVERYTHING. Anyway, this haunted house takes A LOT of set up, prop building, etc, and we usually start set up the week before, and start building the props about a month or two ahead of time.

The prop building days went off without incident, and nothing happened to me. Well, nothing besides a few kids trying to scare me in the bathroom (which is in the VERY creepy basement. The men's room looks like it belongs in a dungeon. The women's is newly refurbished) by turning off the lights. Which didn't really bother me, considering I expected it because they were giggling like school girls when they did it, and I could hear them laughing all the way up the stairs. I simply did my business, and turned the lights back on. That was really the only incident that happened for the first couple of months.

Now here we are... Ten days away from our opening night. We were all running around like chickens with our heads cut off, trying to make sure that everything was perfect. No detail was too small. The decorations, the lighting, even the placement of props. EVERYTHING had to be perfect. So anyway, my supervisors, let's call them Bob and Jane (names have been changed) said, "Hey Jennybear, can you run upstairs and grab that box of books for us in the blue room?" (We use color codes for all of the rooms, so as not to give anything away and to make it easier for us.) and I said sure. I went upstairs, and retrieved the box of books before coming back to the main entrance, and started heading down the stairs.

As I was going down them though, something didn't feel right. I felt REALLY creepy. Then out of the corner of my eyes I noticed this black mist. I stopped still, and it didn't go away as I noticed it out of the corner of my eyes. I decided I was dreaming, or I was overly tired, and started walking again. Only this time, there were footsteps following me. At this point I was really freaked out. I whipped around and saw...nothing. There was nothing there. I don't know what it was, or if I was just crazy, but I am beyond freaked out. It happened twice more that night.

I have no desire to have the thing, or whatever is removed since it isn't hurting anyone, and I'm not there constantly, but I would like some answers on to what it might be, and if there are any way to make it happy. Any help is appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jennybear772, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

jennybear772 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Stephy,I would tell yo, but I can't disclose my location for safety issues!:C

Elfstone, yes, other people have experienced things. I actually have an update to this story. Just recently, in the changing room for the girls (which happens to be the downstairs girls basement) has been having some freaky things going on. You'd feel cold all of a sudden, and then, you would catch glimpses of a mans face in the mirror. I was talking to one of the people who ran the haunted house, and she told me about an experience she had. She told me that she had been upstairs, and she saw a little girl in the hallway. She followed the little girl to ask her why she was upstairs, and to get back downstairs to the blue room, but the little girl just disappeared in to thin air. I've also recently heard sightings of a "half man" you can only ever see his top half, or his bottom half, but never all of him.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Hi, jennybear. 😁

Cool story! I really don't think it's possible to answer your questions with what little we know. Your experiences could be supernatural or there could be a mundane explanation. Sometimes old buildings have freaky acoustics. The footsteps could have been echoes from someone walking somewhere else. And heating systems occasionally smoke a little when they're first turned on, which could account for the black mist.

If you can eliminate normal explanations, it was probably a ghost, but whose, and whether an active or residual haunting is impossible to say.

Have you heard of anyone else experiencing anything?
stephyw2001 (3 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
HEy I'm in Michigan too! Which Masonic temple is this? What city?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: