You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My First Experience With The Other Side

Real Ghost Stories

My First Experience With The Other Side

 

My first paranormal experience was when I was 19 years old around September 2000.

My boyfriend and I weren't speaking at the time. I rode into town around 8:30 pm to see if I could find him. I wanted to apologize to him for my "diva" behavior. I couldn't find him.

The town of Callao is a very small town. I decided to ride down some back roads to see if he was hanging out with his friends by the boat landings. He wasn't on Lodge Road so I took another road near by called Kissinger Spring Road. Kissinger Spring Road is a vacant road in the woods with very few houses that leads to the water. On this road is a very steep hill before you come to a small bridge.

I was beginning to drive down this steep hill very slowly while riding the brakes. As I was making my way down the hill a man on a bicycle came "flying" by the passenger side of my car. I pressed hard on the brakes to stop because I didn't want to hit him. When I say he was "flying" I mean just that...

The bicycle appeared to be off of the ground because the tires were level with the top of my hood and for some odd reason the spokes stood out to me. The man on the bike had a grim look of panic on his face. A look like he was straining to pedal the bike up the hill.

I remember clearly the curls in his hair. His hair was wind-blown back and he had what looked like a messenger bag that had a strap going across his chest. He and his bike were a powdery white/grayish color.

As he went by me I looked in my rear-view mirror with my brake lights on and he wasn't there. I turned around quickly and looked out the back glass and again, no one was there. I was SHOCKED! I was scared. I proceeded to drive towards the end of the road until I came to a stop sign. I contemplated turning around and seeing if I could find this man on the bike. Then I thought to myself that I didn't want to see again what I had seen a few minutes earlier so I went straight home.

It's been 14 years since I seen that man on the bike but I still remember clearly what I saw. I never thought that night would lead to many more experiences and many more apparitions in my future.

Other hauntings by shhh_im_sleeping

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shhh_im_sleeping, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
shhh_im_sleeping, Ok I got excited after reading this! What a terrifying experience. From your description, I could visualize exactly what he looked like, how creepy. Where you ever able to find any court documents or records to further your interest? Oooh I hope you did!
shhh_im_sleeping (14 stories) (62 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
Oh and one of my Facebook friends said that he was told many years ago that the owner of the mill at the bottom of that hill was murdered but his body was never found (he came up missing so they assumed the blood was his) and they never found the murderer (if there was one). Just blood on the floor of the mill. I'm going to go to the court house tomorrow and see if I can find out who once owned the property. I'm interested to find out...
shhh_im_sleeping (14 stories) (62 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
The man was looking straight ahead while leaning back a little bit. The look on his face was like something out of a horror movie. His eyes were wide and he had a look of sheer panic. I don't ever want to see an apparition like that again.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-10-26)
Well, if pedaling uphill one would think that the rider would lean forward not back. But, what if one is trying to maintain speed and glance back? That would account for the slight 'leaning' back appearance. Did you notice if he was looking straight ahead or if his head was angled over his shoulder?
Very interesting sighting. Let us know what you discover.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-25)
Hello shhh_im_sleeping, I feel that this could be residual, as suggested by you. I may be wrong but still that is the only thing that comes to my mind after reading about your experience.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
This is getting really fascinating! Please let us know what you find out?
shhh_im_sleeping (14 stories) (62 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
This man had loose curls. I'm guessing his hair was about 3-4 inches long. Not super short. I just talked to one of my Facebook friends that lives on Kissinger Spring Rd. I didn't tell her my experience in fear that she would think that I was nuts. She told me that at the bottom of the hill there was an old house and mill. She heard many years ago that there was a murder in the mill in the 1960's. There was no body found but there was blood splatter on the floor. Not long after the blood findings someone torched the mill and later torched the house. As far as she knew no one was caught for the arson. No one was caught for the suspected murder because there was no body... Just blood. She said she was always told that Kissinger Springs was haunted because of the suspected murder. Now I want to go to the court house and see what I can find out about the property. I'm intrigued by what my Facebook friend said.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Okay, so we can narrow the time frame down a little bit more. It was a fifties style bike, he had hair that was long enough for you to notice the curls and that it was being blown back in the wind, and he was riding above the current level of the road, suggesting he was from a time when the road was higher, right?

How long was his hair? If it was above his collar, a date in the early sixties is more likely. Longer, late sixties or seventies. (Men in the fifties wore their hair short.)

You said this was a rural road -- do you know who maintains it? A county or township road board, maybe? They might still have a record of road work done on it. If you could confirm it was lowered, it would lend credence to our theory and knowing when would provide an end date for when your ghost was from.

This is a really fun story! I love mysteries like this! 😁
shhh_im_sleeping (14 stories) (62 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
The bicycle looked like a bike from the 1950's. Large wheels and low handle bars. It happened so quick but those two features of the bike I remember clearly. He was sitting almost straight up but leaning back a little bit. Most bicyclist today lean on the handle bars but this gentleman wasn't. He was leaning back in such a way that it looked like the wind was pulling him back (causing his hair to blow back too). It was scary.
shhh_im_sleeping (14 stories) (62 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-24)
Thank you for all of your comments. The bicycle looked to be from an earlier era. Large wheels (I think that's why I remember the spokes so vividly). Nothing fancy. I like the postal messenger theory. Callao, VA is within 20 miles of Westmoreland County, VA (the homes of George Washington and Robert E. Lee). There is A LOT of history surrounding my little town. I always heard when I was a kid that Kissinger Springs was haunted but to see it with my own eyes confirmed it. Around a year later after this happened I drove back down the same road around the same time at night and saw nothing. My guess is that this "man" was a residual spirit but honestly, I'll never know.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Northcoastie is right. While the first precursor to the bicycle was created in 1817, it didn't have pedals, was made entirely of wood, and was only suitable for well maintained paths. The next version, called a "velocipede" or a "bone shaker", wasn't invented until 1865, the last year of the Civil War.

I did a lot of research on bicycle history a while back for a book. Shh_I'm_sleeping, if you could describe the bicycle in more detail, I might be able to help you date it. Like, were the wheels the same size? What kind of seat did it have? What were the handle bars like?
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
Good theory but I can't find anywhere that Bicycles were widely used in the Civil War, if at all. The earliest documentation I can find is the US Army's 2th Infantry which were issued bikes in 1897. Civil War messengers would be riding horses.
ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
If I can recall American history correctly than there was the Great American civil war during which such messengers were sent from the battlefield to the reserve troops for carrying messages of reinforcement requests from the commander on the battlefield to the commander of the battalions. Maybe he was one of those messengers sort of a employee of the US postal service serving Union Troops or maybe even Confederates.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
shhh_im_sleeping - Hahiha has a very good point. The road/hill could have been changed over time and that could very well explain why he seemed to be hovering. Good story, thanks for sharing it with us 😊
Hahiha (28 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-23)
I've heard other people say this: the ghost might be riding on how high the hill used to be because at some point the level part of the hill.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: