You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dreamcatcher

Real Ghost Stories

Dreamcatcher

 

For my birthday, a good friend of mine got me a dreamcatcher. I had no idea the "rules" of dreamcatchers and put it on top of my cat and watched him play with it. Then, I hung it up in my room above my bed.

That night I was woken up about once or twice to something pulling at my ankles, causing a full body jolt feeling. I shrugged off and went to sleep just fine.

I went on vacation for the weekend and the night I returned some very freaky things happened. It started with the same jolting feeling, then it felt as if someone grabbed my wrist and pulled it. It felt as if someone was trying to wake me up. This happened about 6 times before I heard a female voice say, "See me." I kept ignoring the presence until I got up and turned the light on in my room and attempted to sleep again.

Then, something grabbed my ankles again and threw them up almost causing me to fully lift off my bed. Keep in mind I'm under the covers. I turned onto my back and then I felt a great amount of pressure on my chest and couldn't breathe for a few seconds. This was it for me and I crawled into bed with my roommate down the hall. Everything ended and I was able to sleep through the night.

The next day, I moved the dreamcatcher to my kitchen, not knowing where else to put it. When I moved it, I noticed there was a black mark across where the dreamcatcher was. This was not there before.

I've read that some people believe dreamcatchers can act as a portal to evil spirits. I have been approached by spirits before, especially when I was a kid but the past two years I have had paranormal things happen to me. Never has it felt as threatening as this time. Hopefully getting rid of the dreamcatcher will solve this issue.

Any thoughts?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nicblind, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

mikerman (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-09-22)
I had to look up information this morning I dream all the time and I'm in 52 I have moved in with my daughter and stayed in the spare room. In this room I would dream every night and sometimes my grandson would be in my dreams he would wake up and tell his mum how he would visit granddad in his dreams. I moved into another room that had a dreamcatcher in it from that day my dreams stopped this went on for 5 weeks I told my daughter who didn't tell me she removed it a week ago straight away my dreams started up again this morning I was telling her how things were normal again (my dreams) and she laughed and told me how she had removed it which I found most interesting had to share
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-30)
Nicblind, I would agree with others here on the comments of Dreamcatchers not causing negative events. I have known several Native Americans from many different tribes, although none were shamans, who were valid members. I have not once heard of this happening from an authentic Dreamcatcher. I talked to them about Dreamcatchers and again never heard of this event. I do know however that what granny said is accurate about the Dreamcatcher having to be made properly i.e. Materials, number of knots, type of knots, etc. Etc. I think that after reading these "rules" you have set your mind on the "fact" that the Dreamcatcher caused this to the point that you caused it. I mean no offense just my honest opinion.
nicblind (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-30)
Thanks for the input everyone!

I understand the purpose of dreamcatchers and was excited to put one up in my room. I had no prior knowledge or suspicion of a dream catcher as a portal.

After this experience, I took it down and haven't had any problems since.

Also, the dream catcher was dyed blue and the mark on my wall is a deep black color. So that doesn't explain where the mark came from.

-Nic
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
Femaelstrom: There is a specific way to make them. Everything has to be right, from the kind of twine/string used for the web, to the amount of knots, type of knots, and size, the beads, and the frame.

Http://www.nativetech.org/dreamcat/dreminst.html

Http://www.dancingtoeaglespiritsociety.org/dreamcatcher.php
Femaelstrom (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
I have NEVER had a positive experience with a dream catcher. On the contrary, in MY experience, it only led to BAD dreams.

When my kids were younger, one of them made me one in school. A primitive sort of crude design, but with good intentions. (I hope!) I was delighted and hung it up, and from the 1st night I had bad dreams. It was there for about a month before I put 2 and 2 together, and took it down. The bad dreams ceased.

I'm guessing that it's a spiritual type of device, similar to a crucifix. Native Americans and other cultures, too, perhaps, knew the power behind it, but as laypeople, everyday joes, we simply looked at it as a "decorative" ornament' akin to wearing a rosary as a necklace. (I did that, too, as a teenager, before becoming a Catholic... My bad!)

I'd be interested to hear from a Shaman or medicine-man/woman about feedback on dream catchers. Any takers? Should they be made only by certain people, or be blessed by authoritarian-figures? How do you make them work PROPERLY? 😕
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
Hmmm...the only 'rule' I know about Dream Catchers, is the same as for most 'mystical' things - a belief that it works. Reputedly, any bad dreams get entangled in the threads.
I think lady-glow is onto something with the dye theory, and the 'jolting' you felt unrelated to the dream catcher. Like some of the others, I've no idea how on earth you managed to go to sleep afterwards!
I know, every now and then I will feel a 'jolting' hard enough to wake me. It feels as if my legs (sometimes it extends up to my shoulders) was heavily dropped onto the bed. The following theories have been offered to me as means of explanation;1) my body was actually responding to some action in my dream state (similar to sleep walking), 2) I was beginning to levitate. 🤔 Personally, in my experience, I don't think there's a paranormal cause, it's just my body being weird. The first couple of times, it really freaked me out, but since nothing ever happened afterwards, I simply lay quietly until I return to sleep.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-27)
nicblind,
The Dream Catchers were made to put over babies cradles by N.A. Tribes to keep nightmare/evil spirits away. If the Dream Catcher became full it was brought to the spiritual shaman to have it cleansed and blessed. They are not portals for evil spirits to come though, quite the opposite. So rest assured your cat playing with it didn't harm it.
To clean it take it outside and use a can of compressed air (the kind you use for the computer) with the design facing you to blow away anything attached. If you have to use water use as little as possible.
Stores aren't supposed to sell N.A. Items but they do all the time so please try to buy only items made by southwest tribes.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-26)
I think lady-glow is on to something with the dye theory. Many dream catchers are no more than mass produced decor items.
I can't help but wonder if these events may be the result of your idea that dream catchers attract evil. On some level you expected to experience something, so something happened. The mind is a tricky bugger.
And like Miracles, I would also like to know the "rules." Hadn't heard of any. 😳
nima (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-26)
well you let the cat play with the dreamcatcher, maybe the thing didn't like it being played around by a cat. Must've been offended.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-26)
nicblind - okay, I'll bite. What are the "rules" of a dreamcatcher. I have two of them. One in my bedroom and one in my son's. My point is, I didn't realize there are "rules" either. Just wondering if, after your experience you know what the rules are you'd care to share them.

While we're on this subject, I'd like to know where you read that dreamcatchers act as portals to evil spirits.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-10-26)
Was the dream catcher an authentic native american craft or one of those "made in China" replicas? -The use of dyes and paint is common on the ones made in China and this could explain the black mark on the kitchen wall. 😐
A dream catcher is supposed to filter a person's dreams allowing only the positive ones and catching the bad ones.
...good excuse to crawl into your roommate's bed! 🤔
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-10-26)
Hi nicblind, welcome to YGS. I do not think that dream catcher is a portal for entities to come our realm. I feel that the experiences of someone trying to press your ankle or trying to touch you when you were asleep might have coincided with that of the hanging of dream catcher in your bed room. But I think you are courageous. Like elf said, I would have gone sleepless for several nights if I had such an experience.

But one question. Since you said that you felt like someone was over your chest and that you were not able to breath for a few seconds, could it have been a nightmare that someone was trying to touch your ankle or wrist and that you had a sleep paralysis. I am not doubting your experience. But just need a clarification. Because some dreams are so real and when it is coupled with sleep paralysis, it would look like paranormal. That is why I asked. Please clarify.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-10-25)
What I don't get, apart from thinking a dream catcher is portal for negative entities, is that you had some disembodied thing yanking you around, lifting you off the bed, and holding you down, and then you went to sleep.? I'd have run screaming from the room and probably have not slept for days!
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-10-25)
A dream catcher is totaly positive, it keeps negative things away. To most anglos it means nothing anyway. But nothing "comes through" a dream catcher. It's never a portal. That's why it's called a dream catcher. You might have other issues that caused your problem. Maybe it would be good to "see" them, like the spirit said. If you see them you can fix them.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+4
10 years ago (2013-10-25)
Woh, no the idea is the dream catcher "catches" the evil negative things and keeps them away. Who told you otherwise? It's a native American thing. If you had an experience of an entity pulling on you, that's something different. It sounds like you need to find out what the spirit is trying to tell you, or do a cleansing.
hmb2002 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-25)
Cool story. I've had a dream catcher on my wall before, but nothing happened. I bet it was a spirit that either was already there or somehow "came through" the dream catcher. I wouldn't keep another one if I were u. Now I'm going to take mine down! 😉 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: