You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Possible Reaper?

Real Ghost Stories

Possible Reaper?

 

I have always been a light sleeper. The last few nights I had difficulty sleeping. I went to bed last night at approximately 2200. I tossed a bit, then at approximately 2330, my partner came home and woke me to let me know she was home (as she always does) I went back to sleep. I woke again later at approximately 0100, needed the restroom and was able to fall back to sleep.

I was in a sound sleep... And felt something...it's difficult to describe. I got cold and felt someone looking at me. I turned and noticed a dark, hooded figure standing next to my bed. I felt my heart start pounding. The hood was forward so the face couldn't be seen. The hole (where the face would be) in the hood was noticeably darker than the hood. One arm, or shall I say sleeve, was at its side. The other was bet upward almost at a 45 deg angle. Not reaching for anything just bent. I could not see a hand, nor fingers. Almost as though it was holding a scythe; however, I did not see a scythe. This happened within seconds but, time seemed to stand still.

My first instinct was I needed light. I reached to my headboard where my cell phone was charging (it was much closer than the light switch, which was next to this hooded figure standing in front of my bedroom door at my bed side and I was NOT about to reach in that direction) and didn't feel my cell phone. I looked away from the figure to see where my cell phone was and when I looked back... The figure was gone.

I tried to rationalize what I had just experienced and say to myself "Maybe it was a spirit, ghost or perhaps a person who was in my room." Had it been a person... They could not leave the room without opening my still closed bedroom door. Not a person. I kept hearing the word "Reaper" in my head.

I have always been "sensitive" to different feelings good and bad in a home. I have seen things/people who I would later find out that were deceased. I have never considered myself psychic nor a medium of any kind. I do know this experience was frightening to me. To the point where I did not want to leave my house and go to work in the morning. However, I refuse to allow some "thing" to dictate my life. So my day went as normally as it could, considering how frightening my experience was.

Any incite to what this experience means or meant would be greatly appreciated.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mrluce, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-18)
DevilDinosaur - why do you think people who see the Grim Reaper should also see the scythe? I didn't. Not all situations are the same. And real life situations aren't like gaming.
DevilDinosaur013 (3 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-18)
What I don't get is why you didn't see the scythe, I have read many stories about what reapers look like, but it seems to always have a scythe (you should always be able to see it) 😕
Mike987654 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-04)
You already know what it is. It was death, reaper. I saw the same thing over road kill on the highway. In a blink of an eye it was there and then gone.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-03)
mrluce, It could have been the hooded figure was trying to warn you of something possible. And in return you were more cautious and sensitive to your surroundings that particular day. If you haven't seen this hooded figure since, I wouldn't worry to much about it. I agree with shh_Im_sleeping,if it wanted to do you any harm, it had a perfect chance to do so. Scary experience though
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-31)
Hello mrluce, first of all, we have to eliminate the rational explanations before plunging into paranormal. Like NorthCoastie, insomnia could create a lot of hallucinations and like BJJ, I also experienced a lot of it. Like NorthCoastie commented, many in this site say that "I wasn't dreaming". Dreams don't work that way and many dreams, good or nightmares, tend to happen like real life experiences. Many times even after the dream is over, it would be as if we were living that dream.

Try to give rational explanations. Thereafter, we shall tend to go paranormal. If it happens again or if you see that hooded figure again, then we should turn our attention to paranormal.

You can also enquire others in the house or in the neighbourhood if they have seen any hooded spirit or apparition. That could give us more inputs. Otherwise, with only one sighting of this hooded apparition, I don't want to categorise it as paranormal. No offence meant.

You said that you have been feeling things good and bad at home. That might be because that you are having that sensitivity, which others might not have, to view, hear or sight paranormal. It is not necessary that you should be a medium to have that sensitivity.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-31)
mrluce

I really agree with Foxglove that it may have been a monk or some such person, your in an area were I'm sure there may have been missions and what not. As far as a grim reaper, from what I understand you don't get do overs, its kind of a one time deal with him...
hmb2002 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-30)
hi. I have a story called hooded black figure and hooded black figure 2. My brother says he has seen the exact same thing you did and lots of other stories are about the same thing. Have you seen the ghost since? I don't think it will hurt you, unless you make it mad or something (I don't see why you would do that.) I don't think you have anything to worry about. 😊
Foxglove (23 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-29)
Hi mrluce,

Might be a longshot but is it possible the robes and hood were clerical, like a monk or friar? Lots of early Catholic influence in the great state of NM. Is your property historical at all?
Or, yeah, sleep disorder hallucination is a possibility. Occams razor and all that.
shhh_im_sleeping (14 stories) (62 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-29)
I wouldn't assume it was something negative. This apparition had the perfect opportunity to hurt you if it wanted. Maybe it's a spirit of someone who passed suddenly who once lived in or around your home. Maybe the spirit was once a man that was wearing a hood when he passed. 3 years ago I saw a shirtless man standing in my living room so anything is possible 😆.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-29)
Many people see a hooded figure such as this and nothing bad ever happens to them. Please, try not to worry about it. It was probably a one time occurance and harmless. Oh, and incidently, people have been seeing hooded figures since forever... Long before those tacky hoodies became fashionable. This probably was not a deceased individual.
HoppingCorpse (2 stories) (42 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-29)
My 25 cents if you live in an apartment block.
Maybe someone else was dying and the Reaper took a detour through your bedroom 😜
DarkFlames95 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-29)
You would not be able to see a reaper unless, close to death, or so it is said. Good chance that it was a spirit.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-29)
NorthCoastie - actually someone who is grounded in logic is much better than someone who sees "ghosts" everywhere 😆 So you, along with several others, help balance the site 😉
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-10-29)
I'm probably starting to annoy people buy always being Mr. Logical bringing up sleep related hallucinations every 5 stories here, but there are myriad of sleep related issues that can cause hallucinations. These experiences are especially prevalent if you are suffering a lack of sleep. I've suffered from this on and off my whole life, since I am a very light sleeper and often get caught in that "inbetween" state of sleep, where you are most likely to experience a sleep related hallucination or sleep paralysis, but that isn't exclusive to it. The problem is, when you are caught off guard in your sleep, you really have no clue what you are experiencing. Is it a dream, a hallucination, a ghost? I read it so often here "I know I wasn't dreaming"... Ok, well how do they know that? I have dreams where I wake up and start getting ready for work, only to then wake up for real and realize I was dreaming. Some people find it easier to believe they were visited by a ghost or an alien than experienced a common sleep related hallucination, and that is fine, but there is a probable cause here for these experiences.

I wouldn't be worried about what you experienced. If you start seeing this guy when you are wide awake, or if you have other strange events happening that collaborate with your house being haunted, then you might be on to something else going on. I agree that just because he's wearing a hood doesn't mean that he's evil.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-29)
MaryAnne, I don't think that's a crazy idea at all. Alot of people wear hoodies, so a ghost in a hood isn't so farfetched. It makes sense to me.
Mrluce, I notice you say you had been having trouble sleeping for several nights before this. Lack of sleep can do a number on our perceptions, and sometimes if we're tired enough we see things much differently than they are. Or see or hear things that aren't there at all. I'm not trying to be dismissive of your experience, its just that I'm an insomniac and I know all too well what a tired mind can do. I had a scary sighting myself after a week without sleep. It terrified me, more because I knew it was just exhaustion than because it might have been an entity. I'm not particularly frightened of the paranormal, but I am frightened of falling asleep while driving or cooking. So, from an insomniac point of view, I have to wonder if it was a sleep deprivation issue rather than a paranormal issue. If it was a one time occurrence with that figure, I would write it off as lack of sleep.
If you're sure that it was paranormal in nature, MaryAnne's idea is a very good one. Maybe look into the area's history, maybe someone who used to live around there loved hoodies.
MaryAnneTHEdoll (23 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-10-29)
Maybe it's not really a reaper but a ghost (i'm not trying to scare you) that died with a hood (I know it's kind of crazy).

❤ MaryAnne
mrluce (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-28)
Any incite to what this might be would be greatly appreciated.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: