You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Man Who Died For His Family

Real Ghost Stories

The Man Who Died For His Family

 

I was posted in Fob Anaconda during my deployment in Iraq. I was one of 24 soldiers who manned one of 4 entrances into our base. We covered the north entrance where locals would enter and go through our security scanner, be checked for illegal substances and be routinely verified by our canine division. We came across 80 locals who worked in our base on a daily basis. Half who presented goods in our flea markets for sale at the bazaar and the other half who worked our construction yard doing manual labor and earning American dollars since Iraq's economy was ran by our dollar currency. I had grown fond of many of the Iraq locals during my deployment and began to grow interest in their culture and respected them as equals because I'm not closed minded or racist.

During the end of my tour I noticed that many of the workers had perished because Al Quida spies would denounce their family and murder them when they had exited our base for aiding us and taking American money as a form of payment.

We had a strict procedure of allowing locals inside the base. Each person was assigned a military ID card which had their picture, date of birth, and microchip attached to the card. After they are scanned into our system they go through the x-ray machines to see if they are smuggling any items inside base. During my last 2 weeks something insane happened that was recorded on our reports that raised eyebrows across our company and was the ghost story of the year.

One of my older locals, Hazim, that I generally talked to on a daily basis came in through the X-ray but was acting very odd and pale. For the first time in months he didn't speak to or acknowledge me, he looked sad and uncomfortable so I left him alone. I assumed it was a death in the family or something terrible has happened. I left him alone as he turned in his badge to enter the base. We did a recount on the badge IDs to make sure all the locals were accounted for and that the badges matched the correct number of people. By end of day work period, the same crowd shuffled through the X-ray machines picked up their IDs and made their way back home to their own villages. I noticed that Hazim's badge was still hanging on our wall and still active in our base according to our system. I quickly called construction yard and alerting them that we have a local that may have been left behind in the latrines or possibly wandered off the working area. They double checked their cameras and said all individuals signed in have been signed out and that their records were on spot.

Our platoon Sgt was worried that we might have allowed him inside the confines of the base without checking him through the system. We did a thorough manhunt for him but nothing came up. The base was put on alert and the interpreters were notified of the situation asking individuals to help locate Hazim.

That morning we checked in all the normal locals who were working and noticed that Hazim did not return. So we marked him MIA in our records. Later that afternoon his wife and son came up to our Control point with a cart. She was explaining to the interpreter what happened. The interpreter was pale and sweating as if he'd seen a ghost, he reluctantly turned to me and attempted to collect himself.

Hazim was killed yesterday morning by an insurgent for working for the U.S. He was shot to death around 7:00 am during that time frame his family was held hostage as they were being questioned by the terrorists as to who else had been working with him. Hazim was wrapped up inside the cart, his body cleaned and ready to be buried. We had mortuary affairs come to identify the body. Still crying and mourning the wife handed me his badge that was stained with his blood. I exclaimed, "That's impossible!" as I knew we already had that badge inside the office. I ran in confusion to prove to myself that a duplicate must have been made. And to my astonishment there was no badge on the wall.

I checked the computers, there was also no log of him entering the base on file and I was extremely pissed and thought that someone was playing a sick joke on me. I told the interpreter that we all saw him enter the base and that he gave us the ID. He replied that it wasn't possible since he had been dead since the morning of that day. Puzzled and confused I demanded to check the video recordings of the previous day to counter argue that we were right. The video recording captured Hazim entering the building and scanning through the X-ray captured ON VIDEO and as he got off the X-ray machine he vanishes as he starts to remove his badge.

We watched it over and over again in disbelief because that is physical evidence that he was there and everyone saw him. His wife watching the video continued to cry as she acknowledges his appearance in the video. Our company Commander had us destroy the video as it was in bad taste and morbid to release something like that on Youtube without facing UCMJ charges for uploading confidential footage.

He was buried the same day with all his relatives at his village. His co-worker came up to me and explained that Hazim had been secretly putting aside money hidden somewhere in the base and had kept it away from the Taliban preventing them from robbing him, and instructed his friend to give the funds to his family upon the possibility of his death. His coworker explained to me even in death his loyalty to his family is bound by his soul and his love to ensure that they are taken care of. In a span of a year Hazim had saved 8,000 U.S dollars which was more than enough for his family to live off of for the next 10 years.

PFC Chia

3rd Infantry Division

2nd Platoon

OIF 2006-2007

In memory of Hazim Ashula Muhammod may he rest in peace

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, chia6251, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Amena (3 stories) (9 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-05-09)
What a truly remarkable story. Thank you for sharing. May Hashim find eternal peace.
Waterhammer (12 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-14)
Very touching story, and thank you for your service in Iraq! Only one note, I'm sure it was a mistake, but the last paragraph you mentioned the poor fellow was hiding his cash from the Taliban? As I'm sure you're aware, the Taliban are located in Afghanistan. Probably just a casual mistake, but it would seem that you would have had a keen memory of the monsters who killed your workers at Anaconda, (which is actually Ballad Airbase, Sunni triangle of Iraq, if I remember correctly?). Either way I thank you for your story and encourage referential accuracy so as to more accurately convey the validity of this experience.
Zeromaru (guest)
+2
8 years ago (2016-01-31)
Oh... This makes my eyes watery... 😭
Thank you very much for sharing!
geet10 (4 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-08-15)
Thank you for sharing such a heart warming story. May he rest in peace.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-20)
All I can say is wow. What a wonderfully sad experience. Truly, what an experience! I wish we didn't have war ever. Sounds childish but it's true. It just tears me up inside to read about what's happening worldwide. How many brothers, fathers, sons, does it take for us to all realize we are all equal. Men like yourself, and Hazim, who is just a man trying to help his own. Though I am in Canada, I thank you for being you. Also thank you for sharing this.
I believe Hazim died instantly, as the way you described him, it didn't seem like he knew yet that he was dead.
ERizzy (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-12)
That so weird you literally caught him on tape?! Thats really cool 😆 Man, I wish I saw that tape haha

-ERizzy
WiniPu4 (207 posts)
+4
10 years ago (2013-12-31)
Great story! As former military, I would love to read any other experiences you would like to share.
God Bless,
Wini (USN, Ret)
james911 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-12)
That is such a beautiful and sad story, I have tears running down inside my soul. Thank You for sharing with us.
merimorobe (4 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-07)
I love this story and may Hazim rest in peace! You really are a brave person to re-live this moment and posting the story on this website! Thank you! Wish the video was there!
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-07)
That was the most beautiful memorial. Great story, and truly great service to have respect like this. Thankyou.
esther91 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-07)
Thank you Chia6251 for an awesome read. It was written very well and is now one of my favorites.
❤ Esther
Rustedsoul (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-07)
I read this story and straight away clicked favorite... This is an amazing account... I am not able to compile the words to express what I feel from this story... Just a very big thank you! 😊
jmreyesiii (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-07)
Great story! Too bad the video isn't available. That would have been something to see.
RoMaNzQ (4 stories) (36 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-07)
This narration was truly amazing! It will definitely go into my favourites on this site ❤

"RAHMAT ALLAH ALAYK" Hazim as it is said in Arabic ❤
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-07)
This is a fabulous story - powerful, sad, and yet uplifting - what a testament to the power of love. The factual detail you provide lends a total credibility to the story. Thanks for sharing with us.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-05)
Chia6251, what an incredible story! I believe every word. Thanks for the courage it must have taken to relive these events and post this account.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-05)
All I can say is "WOW!" You have narrated this to the point that no further comment is necessary. Thank you for submitting this and THANK YOU for your service!
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-05)
This story stunned me. Totally amazing. Thank you for sharing it.
Charne35 (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-05)
This is such an amazing story. Thank you for sharing it...:)
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-05)
Hello chia6251, this straight away goes to my favorites. I agree with all elf, Miracles, mama, granny and troyarn. A great story you have shared. May Hakim's soul rest in peace. Wonderfully narrated, a moving account of love and affection towards the family.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-04)
Great story, chia6251. One of the best I've read. Thanks very much for sharing it with us.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-04)
chia6251: This is one of the best accounts I've read to date. I bet you felt like you were going a little bonkers there for a minute 😆. It's too bad you chose to not participate in the discussion, but I completely understand.

Thank you for sharing this post! 😊
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-04)
What a sad story. I have to agree with elfstone810, that posting it on youtube would have not been a good idea. People can be so mean and rude sometimes.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-04)
chia6251 - I know you've said you won't participate in the discussion and, honestly, this is one time I think I'm glad about that.

This had me crying almost all the way through. I don't have the words to say what I want to express, but thank you for sharing this with us ❤
elfstone810 (227 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-11-04)
Wow. Just... Wow. What an amazing story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. It's a shame the video couldn't be preserved, but I understand the rationale for destroying it. Beyond the issue of posting confidential video, Hakim deserves to have his memory treated with respect and not to become an internet sensation, with all the attendant flak that would have generated.

Thank you again for sharing this story and thank you, also, for your service to our country.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: