You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: How It All Began And How It Never Ended

Real Ghost Stories

How It All Began And How It Never Ended

 

When I was 4 years old I had my first paranormal experience. I was playing around in the cafe which my mother and father were running at the time. We heard a ring and my mum picked up the phone. She stood as still as still could be and began to cry. I had no idea what it was about at the time but I later found out that my Grandfather died.

My mother felt guilty because she was never around the last few years of his life so she decided to fly us to the Philippines. She could have taken both my brothers too but I was the only grandson of his that he has never met.

It's tradition in the Philippines to keep the coffin and the body overnight at the family home before parting with it. Morning came and I distinctly remember the open casket and palish face of my Granddad. I never met him or spoke to him so I never had a real emotional attachment to him. I felt quite numb but of course I felt something. That's something you cannot avoid when it comes to the loss of a life. My family told me to kiss his cheeks before sending him down but I was simply too scared. I have never been around a dead body before.

Later that night the family all joined together to talk about all the memories they had of my Granddad when he was younger. My mother said I was very quite throughout the whole trip because I was a shy kid and I didn't know how to talk their native language and she pointed out that one of the very few times I would say something by myself was that night when I stood up and asked everybody who the man walking next to us was. She said that I kept pointing that person out but none of the other family members could see it. They all went quite and begun to wonder if it was my Grandfather saying one last goodbye. My mother said he was more likely to present himself to me because I have never got to meet him before.

When we returned to Portugal my mother said I was paranoid of every little noise I could hear. She said I hated the darkness, especially dark corners, and I would always point out that the curtains moved or the door would open by itself. She said I was never like this until I returned from the Philippines.

As the months went by I had a few more experiences with seeing stuff but the two that are the most profound and terrifying to me was the time I heard a very deep voice talking to me from up the chimney. I don't remember what it was saying but I felt fearful.

One year later I was playing in my Mother and Father's room (it was my play room at the time too). I remember sitting on the floor and all of a sudden I had the uncontrollable urge to look towards the closet beside me. This closet is very dark, spacious and old. It is a type of walk-in closet built into the wall. I stared into it as the chills ran down my spine. I was feeling very scared and weak by now. It felt like I had no strength left in me and that all there was left for me was to just keep staring. I don't remember exactly how it began but from my memory I can recall being dragged into the closet. I tried to fight it but I was like a puppet, dragged against my own will. The closet doors closed and I was left in darkness. I was scared of leaving and scared to stay. I managed to come up with the courage to move and that is all I remember from that particular experience.

I don't remember experiencing anything else in that house after that. I would always look over my back just to see if I could see anything but I was just scaring myself.

When I was 7 years old I moved to England and nothing. The air felt right! When I feel like I'm about to experience something paranormal, something about the air doesn't feel right. It's not the temperature for me. It's something else, something unexplainable.

When I was 17 years old I bought a drum kit. I played on it for a few minutes in the living room and I got this familiar feeling, where my whole attention gets focused on one thing and I MUST look. So I looked... And to my right was a pale face, with blackened eyes and an open mouth staring at me through the window. It was dark outside so I could not see a figure, just the face, the rest would fade to black. By the time it took me to drop my drum sticks, jump like a girl and focus back on the window it had disappeared. I never played drums in that living room again.

Now I have returned to Portugal at the age of 23 and just last week I had this strange feeling again in the kitchen. I was clearing up after having a late night snack and I felt something make a jingling sound, and I realised that my belt had become undone and was hanging down my legs. I rushed to the bin with a napkin in my hand and threw it in there. I left towards the door and I feel something soft under my feet. I move my feet aside and notice that it is the exact same napkin that I threw away just seconds ago. I remember it because of the sauce I had on it and the way I folded it! There's no way it was another napkin.

On another night I heard footsteps through the hallway. It sounded like whatever was pacing through there was walking barefoot.

I wrote down all my experiences just in case any one could tell me if this is all related? Or just random encounters.

If anyone could give me any idea to what is going on I would really appreciate it. Thank you for reading.

- Alex

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Toxmax, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
Tomax, I definitely know the sound of barefeet hitting marble and tile floor. I agree it does have a distinct sound. Just thinking about it and your experiences give me the creeps! Its when you least expect it, when all the activity goes on. Thanks for responding back!
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-08)
Toxmax,
From the information you gave, I think the encounters are not related to each other. But are they paranormal? Initially (before I read the comments) I was thinking along the same lines as spiritwaiting. But then your comment back made me go "Hmmm..."
The face you saw, sounds a lot like on those "Scream" masks: could some neighborhood kid have been playing? I know some of the teens around here do that sort of thing. (The latest fad being 'zombie' makeup and just looking in random windows.)
The napkin: Is it possible that the napkin bounced out, as spiritwaiting suggested, then you perhaps unknowingly kicked it a space before stepping on it?
The footsteps on a marble floor...I've no idea there. What I would suggest is keeping a journal and noting what you experience down. Weather, time of day, what you were doing/feeling at the time can all play into activity, and possibly show you a relationship between events. When things like that happen, you should try and investigate as best you can. For instance, if you don't live alone then the footsteps could have been produced by someone else in the house walking about. I'm just saying, sometimes there are very mundane reasons for what seems unexplainable on the surface. And sometimes, no matter how we look at it we can not find a reason.
Toxmax (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-06)
Hello, thanks for your reply, about the napkin... This thing really scared me because the bin was really far away from where I found it. I really don't think it is possible for a damp napkin to bounce as far as it was found. The house is quite old, but it's built quite tough, we have marble floors and stone walls, the house rarely makes a sound. The sound of skin and weight of feet hitting the marble floor is such a distinct sound, creeps me out just thinking about it, it's been a while since I've had to deal with this kind of stuff...wasn't expecting it I guess.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-05)
Tomax, Ok Interesting events. And you have had quite a few experiences. They could be paranormal related. You most likely saw your grandad walking along side the family. He may have just been saying his goodbyes and wanted to get a good look at his baby grandson. Which is awesome! The napkin could have bounced off of something and landed on the floor. Do you live in an old house? The pacing back and forth could be simply the home settling. When a home settles it makes for some really scary noises. And you could also be sensitive. Which would explain your sense in change of the air. Which is a good thing, because you can start to prepare yourself for whatever it is that's around you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: