You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Attic Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Attic Ghost

 

My husband and I moved into a house in 2010 in Bend, OR that sat empty as a foreclosure for a few years before we moved in. The first photos I took in the house had a bright floating orb that moved strangely in the sequence of photos, which was my first inclination of a possible spirit.

After that I would slowly hear strange noises around the house such as footsteps, or the sound of something falling onto the ground when I was home alone. My husband does not believe in spirits but admitted to hearing strange, unexplainable sounds in the home, such as doors and cupboards slamming, as well as footsteps.

One day when I was home alone the stereo turned on by itself and started blaring loudly, startling me. This has happened at least 3-4 times.

Another time I heard what sounded like a large person come flying down the stairs very loudly, only for there to be no one there. I also heard what sounded like an animal scream or growl in the hallway. And my cat and dog at times seem to see something that I cannot. They never act scared, however. If anything they seem amused, and to sometimes play with something I cannot see. This, at times, makes me wonder if the spirit of an animal possibly lives in our home.

The most physical and frightening incident has to be the attic door. There is attic access in the ceiling of our closet. A person would need a chair to reach the attic door. A few months after moving in my husband was taking a shower and when he got out noticed the attic door was slid open. He asked what I had been doing in the attic while he was in the shower and I did not, at that time, even know there was an attic door in our closet. There was no explanation for this. No person could have reached that door without a chair, and it happened during the 10 minutes that my husband was in the shower and I was downstairs cooking.

Since then the light in that closet turns on by itself at times, and the window opens by itself. And each time that I take a shower, which is next to this closet, I hear strange noises.

I'm convinced there is a spirit in our house but have decided to accept it's presence since it does not seem to try to scare or harm any of us.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, karirosepink, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

melissa1a_ (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
Iv never had to use this technique but salt is supposed to repel spirits, so if you do become worried about the spirit you could put a ring of salt around the attic door, because a spirit can not pass through this and it sounds to me like the spirit is coming out of the attic.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-06)
karirosepink-
I like that you have such a great attitude about it and aren't inclined to go screaming into the night. I'm with the others on getting the place checked for rodents but the attic door opening on it's own is weird. I don't see how a breeze could open it if it's in your closet. I'm with spiritwaiting on checking out the attic but I'd let the hubby do it. Never know what you might find up there!
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-06)
Hello karirosepink, I go with lady-glow. You should first eliminate the rational and scientific explanations before turning towards paranormal. I feel that the opening of the door of the attic could be due to some breeze and other aspects like stereo switching on by itself could be explained scientifically. The sounds that you are getting in the attic might be due to some small animals or rats. Still it is better to first inspect the attic before coming to any conclusion.

If after exhausting all the above theories, the sounds persist and the door of the attic opens frequently even without a breeze, then as advised by lady-glow you can have the house blessed or cleansed.

Kindly respond and clarify.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-05)
karirosepink, I defintely agree with Lady-glow, the lights going on by themselves and the stereo blaring could be faulty wiring and the stereo could have a short in it. Sometimes small bugs could get into electronics and cause that. The attic door could have opened by a breeze blowing through. But again, you say your animals seem to play with something that you can't see, and the orbs in the pics. That is great! I definitely would do more investigating in the attic, because it could have some old belongings, or papers from previous owners etc. It could help. Great story 😊
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-11-04)
Have you checked the attic? -perhaps what you hear is one or several animals living in there.
Did you have a throughout inspection of the house before buying/moving in? -After all it sat empty for some time and this could explain some faulty wiring, plumbing, etc.

I do not discard the possibility of a paranormal presence, specially after the orb you captured in those pictures and it would be a good idea to bless or to cleanse the house in case one of the previous tenants is in need to pack his bags and go to the light.

BTW. Could you please post those pictures?
Thanks for sharing your story with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: