You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghosts At Marinda's House

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghosts At Marinda's House

 

Monday 29th October 2012, found us at Marinda's stately home in the northern suburbs of Johannesburg. Ray (my hubby) was there to do some carpentry work in their laundry area; I was there just to chat and catch up on events. Ray had picked up a few snags along the way, so we were still there as evening fell - much later than we had anticipated.

Marinda is one of Nicky's (our eldest daughter) "oldest" friends. They have been friends for eighteen or more years, so Marinda is like another daughter to us. She kindly fetches Shenay (our granddaughter, who had lost her Mommy to cancer almost five months earlier) from school, feeds her and takes care of her until Nicky can fetch her after work. Nicky had taken on the mammoth task of single-handedly raising her sister's only child.

Marinda's birthday is on Halloween, so Nicky had decided to give Marinda a full "do" with her nails, nail art -- the works! (Nicky is a nail technician in her spare time.) Marinda had also invited Nicky and Shenay for supper that evening. Well, the upshot of all this was we were still there when Nicky arrived after work.

Marinda suggested that Nicky set out her "tools of the trade" on the antique dining-room table. Shenay stood by, ready to hand anything needed to her new "mum". I sat there watching and chatting to the girls.

Now, Marinda's home is old but has been updated in many ways while still retaining a basic old-fashioned look. One of the new innovations was the ceiling of the dining room, with lots of little "spot-light" globes sunk into the ceiling.

Just before Nicky was to start on Marinda's nails, her young son came to the dining room door to ask his Mom something. Marinda excused herself while she attended to her son's problem. Seconds after Marinda had vacated the room, some of the tiny lights on the ceiling went out (?) Nicky and I looked at each other with raised eyebrows but never spoke a word.

Shortly afterwards, Marinda returned, taking her place at the table. Nicky started prepping Marinda's nails, when suddenly all the lights came on again. Nicky, glancing over the emery-board at Marinda, said in a half question, half statement sort of way, "You have ghosts in the house!?" Marinda just smirked, replying, "Well, we know who they are, don't we!"

Friday 17th May 2013, saw us back at Marinda's house, this time to collect Shenay for the weekend. We had arrived a bit too early, and Marinda had not yet returned from the schools with the children. Her maid/nanny came out the front gate to deposit the garbage for collection, saw us sitting the car, and invited us in.

While Ray and I sat in the large antique-looking kitchen sipping coffee, the maid went about her chores. I sat near the kitchen door that led to the long passageway, which had polished wood strip floorboards, covered with carpet runners. The door is always kept closed to keep the dogs from roaming the beautiful home, but I noticed that when the back door to the outside was opened or shut, the door next to me rattled with the compression.

The maid was outside, hanging up washing. Inexplicably, the door next to me rattled but with a somewhat different sound. It caught my attention, and I swiveled my head to the right and watched mesmerised as the brass handle moved creakily down a tad, stopped, and then back up into place. I glanced to my left, noticing that Ray was also witnessing the movement of the handle. For a split second, we both sat there with expressions of surprise on our faces. I swiftly jumped up and opened the door, thinking that Marinda had returned with the children, unheard by us - although we had heard no footsteps in the passage. Usually, footsteps in the passage make a hollow sort of clunking sound. I looked up and down the passage: not a soul in sight! I shut the door and sat down again, very perplexed.

About twenty minutes later, we heard children's laughter and chatter coming from the bottom of the garden. The security gate into the back courtyard crashed open; then Marinda and kids came tumbling into the kitchen - all happy to be home.

We couldn't wait to impart our experience to Marinda, but had to wait until the children were out of earshot. Marinda didn't seem at all surprised or perturbed by our tale, but she was intrigued. We wondered who it might possibly be - but Marinda wasn't telling! She just smiled her enigmatic smile and left us to draw our own conclusions...

Other hauntings by Fergie

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-05)
Hi Jubeele,

It never entered my mind to ask Marinda's maid of any strange goings on at the house. She is from Zimbabwe, with different cultural beliefs. In any case, I would hate to upset her by talk of spirits in the house - you never know how she may react.

We haven't been to Marinda's house in ages. With the price of petrol these days, we keep our motoring to the bare essentials. But, we will be seeing Marinda on Sunday. Hopefully, I can lead the conversation in that direction. If I do, I will certainly report my findings. 😉
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-01-05)
Hi Fergie, thanks for inviting me to read this account. Those lights sound like the ones we have in our unit. I think they're halogen down-lights. I shall now be looking at mine with a wary eye to make sure they keep behaving! 😜

Did Marinda's maid ever see the lights go on and off or hear the the door handle rattling? I'm just wondering if the activities were only meant for Marinda and close friends of the family. Like the others, I think it's most likely Marinda's late husband saying a friendly "hello".

Do keep us updated if anything happens again the next time you're over there. 😘
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-14)
Lol Val, in my opinion, you have hit the nail on the head! 😉 Yes this is the first time he has experienced anything 'out of the ordinary' and he has been saying that ghosts are a whole lot of nonsense.
It just might be a call for him to wake up and smell the coffee.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-14)
Fergie, curious - is this the first time Miranda's hubby has witnessed anything? The odd thought crossed my mind, that because the bang was hard enough to shake the frame someone was really proving a point. If he's scoffed at the ghost 'theory', then maybe?
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-14)
Marinda paid a visit yesterday, and I have an update. 😊

Not too long ago, Marinda's husband was sitting watching TV alone in their TV room. The door was tightly closed. Suddenly there was a loud bang on the door. When investigating, nobody was there. Later, when Marinda joined him, he asked if she had banged on the door. She denied it, saying that she had been in the bedroom all the while.

This happened a second time, only this time Marinda was with her husband. She says that the bang on the door was so hard that the door shook in it's frame. Naturally, upon investigation, nobody was there. 😉
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
My goodness Krys, did you spend the whole afternoon catching up on my narratives? I am flattered, thank you. 😳

I do so wish you could meet the 'gang' here, I know you would fit in perfectly. Marinda is about your age.
Yes, I am strongly in favour of the 'visitor' being her late hubby.

Thanks for your comment Krys. ❤
KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
I couldn't agree more with valkricry. You almost always sensed Angels presence and if it was Angel you would have "known" as val says. My money is on Marindas late husband too, just popping in to say hi.

Lovely story, I really enjoyed it.
Thank you for sharing!
❤ Krys
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
Hi Val,

Honestly, Ray and I don't scare easily. Maybe because we have never encountered anything evil. The only time that something beyond my ken got my adrenalin pumping, was in Kroonstad; (Terror in the Prison) and then there was no hard evidence to say it was paranormal. I am far more fearful of the living, than of the 'living impaired'

You have a very valid point Val. There was no definite sign, or feeling, that it really was Angel; just a blind hope. It was far more likely to have been Marinda's late husband - or even someone from the houses' past.

I am glad you enjoyed my tale, and thanks for commenting. 😁
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
Hey Fergie,
These do read like small signs meant to say "Hi". Honestly though, some people would totally freak at the door handle moving by itself. So scary is in the eye of the beholder I guess. But if gut feelings weren't stirred up, then I'm thinking it wasn't meant to scare.
At those particular moments, that you experienced things, I'm thinking it was Miranda's hubby. Although, I don't see why Angel couldn't stop by now and then too. But, if it had been Angel there those times, I think she would have found a way to let you know it was her, or you would've just 'known'. I can't quite explain it, but it's a bit like the white feathers. You instinctively 'know' which ones are from Angel from ones that just happen to be there.
Anyway, I enjoyed this.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
Babygoatpuller, thank you, as usual, for the compliment. 😊

Marinda has hinted that she suspects Angel and her late husband have 'teamed up'. I know they were on good terms in life, so why can't they be in the hereafter? Marinda seems amused that that may be the case.

On a side note: Marinda, Nicky and Angel once shared a flat, so Marinda knew Angel very well too. I think it was during this time that Marinda met her first husband.

Thank you for your lovely comment, babygoatpuller.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
Fergie-
You know how I feel about these SA accounts and this is another great one from you.

My gut's telling me it's Shenay's mom with Miranda's first husband "hot on her heels" so to speak. Miranda seems to accept it all with grace and courage and I'm sure you would agree with me when I say, "YAY for her!" 😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
Hi Neph,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. It was most probably just a sign to say that they were still around. The atmosphere in Marinda's house is warm, light and airy, not spooky at all. The incidents only caused a 'raised eyebrows' moment - no chills or feelings of apprehension.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and your comment.

Regards,
Fergie.
Nephylim (10 stories) (79 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
Hi Fergie,

It is so heart-warming to read how your daughter and her friend help each other and that your daughter has taken the responsibility upon herself to raise her sisters child. 😁

I can only guess, but with that much love shared between all of you, I feel that perhaps it may be more of a "Hi, I/we are still here and watching over everyone."
From what I take away from reading your narrative it really seems that the occurrences happening are little signs, in a non-threatening manner, just to let everyone know. The lights went off, then on, not exploding. The door handle started to move then stopped, the door did not swing open (which would have been very creepy and unsettling.)

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Neph
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-08)
LOL Miracles, let's just put it this way - Marinda's first husband passed away in a tragic accident proximately 8 years ago. Her young son had seen his dad on quite a few occasions; not sure if it was in the home though, but often in their car.

Shenay had claimed to see her mom in Marinda's home.
Not knowing the homes' history, Ray and I are surmising that it could be either one, maybe both of them. But who knows, maybe the door handle was residual?

So you are also having trouble with the 'net' today? I can't open my messages! Can't send any either! Maybe tomorrow will be better? Will drop you a line when I can.

Thank you for your comment Miracles. 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-08)
Fergie - okay, you knew someone was going to ask, so it may as well be me 😉 Did you and Ray draw your own conclusions? If so, who did you think it was and why? And did Marinda ever say who it was?

Great story, thanks for sharing this with us 😊 By the way, my yahoo account has been "scrubbed" completely clean. I mean there is nothing in it. No email addresses, no emails, no nothing. It is empty 😢 Looks like I just opened it.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-08)
Thank you Yalisai, Nicky has a few good caring friends - all ready to help out at the drop of a hat.

Thank you for reading Yalisai.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-08)
Hi lion king, Marinda is not usually very talkative about unusual happenings at her house, for reasons only known to herself. After reading my account, which I first submitted to her for her approval, she did confess to experiencing some of the lights in the dining room going off then coming back on again, at various times. All of the lights are controlled by one switch.

On neither occasion were the dogs present, so I couldn't judge their reaction.

I didn't notice anything else at those times, or since.

Thank you for reading, and your comment. 😊
Yalisai (1 stories) (26 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-08)
More than the story I like the way you guys attached to each other! Always nice to have caring friends... After all friends are mean to care...!
lion_king99 (15 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-08)
Scary and mysterious... Why didn't Marinda say anything? Did the dogs behave strange? (sorry, but that is my general question to any person who is haunted and has a dog 😊). Did you notice anything else?

Regards,
~lion_king99

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: