You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Father's Home

Real Ghost Stories

My Father's Home

 

My Mom passed away in January 2011. I stay with my Dad just about every night. He's afraid to stay in the house alone (he worries about burglars). I sleep in the living room on the couch.

One evening about a week after my Mom passed away I was pulling into the driveway with my car, stopped at the end of the gate and checked the mail. As I got back into my car, I looked at the living room window and saw a figure standing at the window looking back at me. The kitchen light was on behind it. The figure had the same shape as my Mom. I moved my car closer to the house with my eyes still focused on the window and as I got closer the figure dissipated.

I ran inside to see if it could have possibly been my Dad. Dad was in his bedroom laying down. He was 77 years old and grieving so he wouldn't of had time to move that quickly from the front window to his bedroom by the time the figure dissipated to the time I got into the house. I brushed it off.

The same night I awoke around 2 am to the sound of furniture moving upstairs. My Dad lives in an old farmhouse. It sounded like the dresser was being pushed across the floor. I went back to sleep and brushed it off too. The next morning I asked my Dad if he heard the noise from upstairs. He said no.

Two nights later I was watching TV and I could hear walking upstairs. Clear footsteps going from my bedroom above the living room to the hallway upstairs. It sounded like someone was walking back and forth from one bedroom to the other. I thought I was losing my mind. I should have gone upstairs to see what I would find but I was petrified! The next morning I asked my Dad again if he had heard the noises from upstairs. He said no. I said nothing more about it.

I brought my 3 year old daughter with me to my Dad's the next night. It was snowing pretty hard. We were watching TV when we both heard footsteps upstairs. My daughter became scared as did I. A few minutes after, the satellite went out because of the snow. It was quiet in the house except for the clear footsteps thumping around upstairs. I left my daughter in the living room for a moment while I ran outside with a dish towel to wipe the snow off of the satellite dish. My daughter settled down after the TV was working again but that was the last night she has spent in my Dad's home.

The footsteps lasted about 2 weeks and then ceased. From February 2011 to July 2013 the house was normal. No more creepy sounds.

August 8, 2013 was a turning point. I went to my Dad's that evening to stay with him. My Dad went to bed around 8 pm and I seen the movie Edward Scissorhands was coming on around 8:15 pm so I decided to watch the movie and record the movie for future viewings. I love that movie, I don't think it's dark at all. It's a sweet romantic comedy. I was sitting at the end of the couch with the kitchen and living room light off. The only light was from the T.V.

Around 9:45 pm the movie was getting close to the ending. I'm watching the TV when I notice a strange light on the wall to the left of the T.V. The wall leads into the bathroom. The light looked like a flashlight shining on the wall and moving around rapidly. I looked towards the front window and seen no car lights. I looked back towards the wall and there was a man! A dark shadow of a man was standing in front of the light play that was on the wall. I jumped back and gasped! Then the man turned to his right and walked towards my Mom's recliner! After he passed by the wall, the lights were gone and so was he! I was frozen with fear and shocked! I leaped across the couch and grabbed the phone. I was going to call 911. I was getting ready to dial when I said to myself, "What am I going to tell them? That I saw an intruder INSIDE my house that disappeared?" I put the phone down and got up off of the couch and turned the kitchen light on. I then looked outside the front window to see nothing out of the ordinary. There's a yard light in the front so all of the yard was illuminated. I then went through the bathroom (passing by the wall where I seen this apparition) to get to my Dad's bedroom. I peeked in on him and he was well asleep. I went and sat down trying to make sense of what I had just seen. I couldn't. I left the kitchen light on all night and stayed up as long as my eyes would let me.

I was relieved the next morning that my Dad and I were OK and nothing had bothered me. I didn't mention this to my Dad. My Dad is already frightened at the thought of burglars. He couldn't handle hearing about my experience with this possible ghost. I went home to my husband and told him about it. He's a skeptic so I'm not sure if he believed me or not. He never said he didn't but he wouldn't say he didn't out of respect for me. I had told my Dad that morning that I was going to stay home with my husband that night. I was actually scared to stay with my Dad. I called my Dad that evening to check on him. He said he was fine and was going to bed early.

The next morning I called to check on him. He said he was fine but the bathroom light wasn't working. I told him that it was probably a bulb so my husband took some bulbs over to my Dad and he also brought his electrical meters to test the wires if he needed to. Bulbs were not the issue. There was no power. The outlet was fine so there was something wrong with the wiring. I whispered to my husband that the wall where the bathroom wiring is located is the same wall where I seen that apparition 2 days prior. That intrigued him. My husband isn't an electrician (he can just check minor stuff) so he said my Dad needed to hire an electrician. My Dad refused. He said he would use a lamp in the bathroom before he paid a man hundreds of dollars to fix one light (the outlets worked in the bathroom; just not the switch). My husband was able to run the power of one of the outlets to the switch so it would work. We still don't know what happened to the power in the wall.

Since that night I still stay with my Dad but I have to sleep with the kitchen light on. I feel more safe with the kitchen light on. Two months had passed and there were no more strange occurrences.

October 22, 2013 I went to stay with my Dad. He went to bed around 7:30 pm and I laid down to watch TV. Around 8 pm as usual I left the kitchen light on. I fell asleep shortly after and I woke up around a hour later. I sat up on the couch and seen that the kitchen light was off. I thought maybe I was still dreaming so I shook my head a little bit and stood up. The kitchen light was off. The only thing that was on was the T.V. I hurriedly went to the kitchen and turned the light on. I went into the bathroom which leads to my Dad's bedroom and I peeked in on him. His TV was off and he was asleep. I thought to myself that my Dad probably came out of his bedroom into the living room and saw me sleeping so he turned the kitchen light off. I felt better thinking that so I turned the TV off and went to sleep. I slept well but around 3 am I started having strange dreams. I was dreaming that I was in a haunted house and as I was walking up the steps I felt a cold, clammy hand on my bare back. It was a chilly strange electrical feeling that grossed me out!

Around 5 am I woke up but continued to lay on the couch until 5:30 am. I was relieved to see the kitchen light was still on. I got up at 5:30 am and went into the kitchen to talk to my Dad after I changed my clothes. The first thing I asked my Dad was, "Did you turn the kitchen light off last night?" He said no. I told him I woke up around 9 pm and the light was off. He said he fell asleep around 8:30 pm after taking some night-time cough syrup. He said that maybe the power went out during the night. That wasn't possible because my alarm clock was still set (no back up battery). He said he didn't know and neither did I. I did express to him that I like sleeping with the light on so he would know not to ever turn it off during the night. Now that he knows for certain that I like to have the light on, he will be eliminated as a suspect if the light is ever off again.

While I was driving home, I was thinking about my dream and I thought to myself, "Maybe the hand I felt on my back was real!" My night gown is cut low on the font and back. The upper part of my back is exposed while I'm sleeping. I don't know, but after what I have experienced in my Dad's house thus far, anything is possible.

Other hauntings by shhh_im_sleeping

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shhh_im_sleeping, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

tinkyme (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-18)
umm...i have all your stories but 1 thing here, I see is, that if you were sleeping (dreaming) how do you know it was 3 at that time! 😕
shhh_im_sleeping (14 stories) (62 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-10)
Thank you for your comments. Not long before my Mom passed there was an elderly man attacked about 4 miles from my Dad. Some punks beat this man severely for his social security money. I think that's what scares my Dad about living alone.
My Dad told me a few days after I wrote this story and submitted it that he thought the house was haunted. I asked him why he would say that. He said he was sitting at the table eating his supper around 5 p.m. When the microwave came on by itself. Well, I've never experienced that in his home or my own. His microwave is modern (not the old-fashioned turn knob ones). It's only happened once.
I'm not as scared as I was in August. I figured if this person meant me harm he would have done so.
Femaelstrom (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
Sounds to me as though the dream wasn't a "dream", but a REAL experience. You say these apparitions "disappear", & I would qualify them as a "ghostly" experience, so essentially you ARE in a haunted house.

Just speak to whatever entity and tell it not to do things that scare, annoy, or upset you or your father & other family. And NOT to touch you.

If you have additional issues, call in someone, or, if that's not possible out of concern for your father, perhaps someone here can offer advice. They have great suggestions on house-cleansing rituals which invoke the assistance of God and His Angels.

Peace be with you.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
Has he considered an alarm system? It may help him worry less about breakins. Although, I can't help but wonder if it's not burglary that concerns him, maybe he also feels the house is active and doesn't want to be alone.
Doesn't really sound like the activity is aggressive. Maybe you could tell whoever is hanging around that they are making you nervous, would they kindly knock it off?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: