You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Man Appeared To Me

Real Ghost Stories

A Man Appeared To Me

 

If any of you read the story I posted first, you will know what my first ghostly experience was like! At the house I lived in as a child, I had many experiences there after that one!

I remember I was having a sleep over with my best friend from school. Mom let us sleep in her double bed. I can't remember why, but I'm guessing it was because I used to be terrified to stay in my own room, it was creepy! My friend and I were trying to sleep. Well, I was. I thought my friend had fallen asleep!

All of a sudden I heard the loudest BANG I had ever heard. It came from my room (the one I was scared to stay in). The bang was followed by the sound of heavy clanking chains hitting the floor. It reminded me of a ball and chain (classic ghostly association, I now know).

Feeling scared, while thinking that there was nothing in my room that could make such a sound and there definitely was not any heavy chains, I waited for a few seconds before I said to my friend, "Did you hear that!?" Straight away she replied, "YES!" she had heard it too, she too was scared!

Straight after we established that we both heard it we shot up out of bed and ran down the stairs to my mom. We began to explain, "We just heard..." but before we had chance to finish, my mom said, "A loud bang." She said, "Yes, I heard it too". We was too scared to go back to bed on our own and waited up until my mom was ready for bed. She had to stay in the room with us!

I remember I could not sleep as I was thinking too much about it. I knew those two was asleep and I felt alone. My eyes was open, just looking around the room when all of a sudden in front of the bed... Something began to appear.

It was not as solid as the first ghost I saw. This one was a little bit transparent but still solid enough to notice detail. What had appeared in front of me was a man, an old man. He had thin shoulder-length white hair, scruffy looking, and he had white stubble. He was wearing a suit, only without a tie, and his white shirt looked tatty and dirty and his jacket look too big for him and that was tatty looking too.

The man was facing the side looking to the left of me. Not long after he had fully appeared, he turned his head slowly without moving his body, and he winked one eye at me! I saw his eyes contact mine, he knew I was there! I did not see him disappear as I put my head under the quilt and stayed there until morning came.

I did not tell anyone about it at the time, but years later when we had moved, I told my mom about it. She said to me that she saw the ghost of a man downstairs that had the same description. She had seen him poke his head around the living room door!

The loud bang followed by the sound of heavy chains, could not be associated with the man that appeared? Or do you think they are connected? Both the sounds and the ghost are great experiences to remember.

I look forward to sharing more of my experiences with you.

Other hauntings by Ell_Annabelle

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ell_Annabelle, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ell_Annabelle (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-18)
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-14)
A really fun read. You are lucky to live near Stratford Upon Avon, we Americans can only dream what that's like. Thankyou for the story.
Ell_Annabelle (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-13)
I have tried to look information up but all I can find is information about the area being a battle ground which most of Dudley would have been anyway, which is probably connected to the Castle, which at my new House I can see from the living room window, which I love <3

I feel the man was somewhat a paedophile he seemed and looked that way. And no I can't recall sleeping in that room after that, I just never stayed in there. I was probably around 4 years old maybe 5. Which must have been a nightmare for my mom.

Perhaps the Ball and chains where connected to the Battle ground as I know they kept people chained up in underground jails, sometimes for punishment towards servants. Dudley is a very historical place.

I think it's odd to get 2 different activity types which are not connected, in a small amount of time. Although that house had all sorts of different things going on which I will tell in due time. Not only that house have I seen and heard things in though, I have a magnificent story about a ghost I saw in Stratford Upon Avon. Stratford being extremely historical, I feel privileged.

Thank you too all for wonderful feed back, it excites me to see interest in my experience

XxxxxEllxxxxx
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-13)
Hello Ell_Annabelle, I think you should check the history of the house. It is possible, as others elf, val and miracles, that it might have been a mental asylum, jail or castle. Val, until very recently, in my country, India, the mentally deranged persons were chained and after one major fire accident that took place, a law enacted not to chain these poor persons.

Ell_Annabelle, I want to ask you that how you generally feel at your room. Because you said that from your room you heard the loud banging followed by clatter of chains. After this incident, did you sleep in your room and what was the feeling like. As far as the apparition you saw was concerned, was that the only time you saw him? By the way you described, he did seem harmless and as you surmised correctly, I don't think this man you saw was in anyway connected to the banging you heard.

Kindly give us any further information, if you got any.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
Well, the problem with men's clothing is it really hasn't changed much! 😆
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
And I'd forgotten, though, of course, I knew, that there was slavery in the UK too. I tend to think of it as an American horror. I hadn't considered the mental patient angle, either.

I was thinking along the lines of a former castle site or jail, or maybe the location of a gallows.

The description of the ghost is interesting, too. A suit suggests middle or upper class and not a soldier. I know men have been wearing suits for centuries. With a more detailed description, we might be able to date it, at least approximately, though I, myself, don't really know enough about the history of men's clothing to even know what questions to ask.

This really is a fascinating story!
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
Well, chains were sometimes used on slaves... They allowed walking but prohibited running. During the 1800s, (and earlier) they were also used on the mentally disturbed, who were often kept at home in attics and such, when an asylum could not be afforded.
This was a very interesting read!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
Sorry, my computer is going nuts today LOL.

I meant for my comment to continue along this thought. I wonder if it's possible that Ell_Annabelle's home could have been on the site of a former jail where the prisoners may have been shackled like this?

It's just the first thought that popped in my mind, but I do like the castle idea 😊 Personally, I'd prefer that over a jail 😢
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
elfstone - the ball and chain was also used as a form of restraint, as supported by museums in both the States and England.
elfstone810 (227 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

While clanking chains are a classic ghost story element, they're usually associated with old castles and mansions and the like. Places where, at one time, people were actually kept in chains. It's odd for that sound to turn up in a private home. Do you know anything about the history of the house or the land?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: