You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Scent Of You

Real Ghost Stories

Scent Of You

 

It has been four years since my ex (Robz) passed away. Our relationship began through sheer luck when neither of us were actually looking. The chemistry was undeniable and we were drawn to each other like magnetic poles.

It was almost as if the Heavens had opened up and welcomed us on a journey of love, passion, joy and elation. I had never felt this way within such a short space of time about anyone before. Robz was the epitome of the true essence of life. Positive, energetic and just bursting with confidence.

I found myself in love almost immediately and it felt like the most amazing thing ever. Everything was going perfectly and I was never happier. Until I discovered Robz' deep kept secret. Robz was a recovering substance abuser with previous tendencies of violence and irrational mood swings, temper tantrums and so forth.

In retrospect, I think I felt a bit of resentment towards Robz for having not trusted me enough to share this secret with me so I could try to be a source of encouragement during the "sober" phase.

Just as quickly as our love affair had begun, it fizzled out, leaving a very bitter taste in our mouth. Even though we did love each other, Robz' past was fast getting in the way of a future that we thought we could have together.

What drew me to Robz was the bubbly effervescence and light that was resonated from within. As much as Robz had a tumultuous past, the present personality was almost a far cry away. It seemed like two totally different people to be quite honest.

I fell in love with Robz' alluring personality, style, perspective on life AND the way Robz smelt... I know you must be wondering what the flapjack right now lol... But, yes, Robz would wear DKNY (in my opinion the most divine fragrance I have ever smelt).

The moment Robz would enter a room, that scent would engulf me! But alas even that slowly faded away. After our rather quick break up, we thought that we could work on being friends but soon realised that it was not going to happen.

It was around this time that we had lost all contact with each. I had moved to another province for work purposes for four years. Once I had returned to my home town, I had bumped into Robz. It was crazy weird at first and after so many years but that electric pull was still there between us. It felt like all of the negative aspects of our break up dissipated over the years and what was left was the residue of the once unflinching chemistry we shared.

It was during the next two months that we started spending more and more time together. Speaking about the rehab sessions, overcoming the addiction and our dreams and aspirations. It felt all too surreal. We felt as though fate was giving us the second chance that we wanted so badly.

As time passed in those two months, our bond strengthened. We had become inseparable. I thought that everything was beginning to fall into place as it should have four years ago. But alas, that feeling and that need was not meant to be...

Once again, Robz began to change, becoming more secretive, disappearing for days on end with no word. It was like four years ago all over again. Only this time I was stronger and more resilient so I did what I thought was best for us both and I ended the relationship. This time on my own terms. It was an amicable breakup and we walked away without resentment.

Approximately three months after we parted ways, a friend told me that she had seen Facebook wall posts regarding Robz' death. I was in total shock! I thought that my buddy was yanking my chain. I immediately checked the new feeds on FB and saw the hundreds of RIP messages on Robz' wall. I was in a state of shock. TOTAL DISBELIEF to say the least.

Even though we had parted ways, I cared. More than I had realised. Finding out that Robz had passed away over three months ago was the worst... I never got to say goodbye... That is what tore me up... I remember contacting Robz' mum to find out what had transpired which led to such a loss.

I was told that Robz spiraled out of control and went missing for a few weeks and later was found in the company of some foreign nationals that were operating a large drug cartel in the city. Robz had gone from bad to worse. It was a Morphine overdose that finally claimed Robz' life.

It was a very sad way to have passed away...alone. Robz' mum said that Robz' body was discovered three days after the overdose.

Which brings me to the real reason for this narration. It must have been about six months after Robz' passing and I was laying on my bed and snoozed off. I awoke to the scent of DKNY. It was so overpowering that it felt like Robz was laying right next to me. I quickly got off my bed and went to see if we had any guests that I may have not heard coming in. But it was just my mum and dad watching tv in the lounge.

I went back to my room and the smell was gone. So I naturally assumed that I may have imagined it. A few weeks later it happened again. I was at work and suddenly I got the scent of DKNY. And again it was overpowering. It lasted for a few minutes and then it was gone again.

I remember asking my colleagues what perfumes or fragrances they were wearing (mind you, they thought I was a little weirdo for enquiring). None of them was wearing that particular fragrance. Knowing full and well that I was not imagining this, I sat down at my desk and tried to focus and clear my head. In my mind I said, "Robz, if it's your way of telling me you are here, get my attention so I have no doubts that it's you and I am not imagining this."

I waited and waited but nothing happened. Disappointed, I continued to go in for a presentation in our boardroom. I found a seat next to my colleague and settled in for the start of an hour long presentation. By this point I had completely forgotten about the incident a few minutes ago.

So my boss walks in and brings with him our guest speaker. As my boss begins to speak, he introduces the guest speak as "ROB"! Shocked at the coincidence... I sat there just staring into space.

I knew it could have been sheer coincidence or maybe it was the sign I asked for. I really don't know. But in my heart I somehow knew Robz gave me the confirmation I needed.

From that point on, I would smell the fragrance every so often around me. The scent became somewhat comforting and warm after a certain point.

Robz and I may have not been destined to be together in this lifetime but I take comfort in knowing that Robz is still with me from the spiritual realm. To this day the one regret I have is that I never got to say goodbye.

I would like to hear comments from others on YGS regarding my experience. Is it even possible to be able to smell what I was? Also what I have been curious about is if a soul/spirit takes on the same personality as when the person was alive? Do souls change once passing? And how is it that we are able to connect with certain loved ones and not others? It has been years since Robz passed on, why would I still be contacted to this day?

Thank you for taking the time out to read my story. And I do apologize for its length. I look forward to your comments/advice.

Blessed be

RomanzQ

Other hauntings by RoMaNzQ

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RoMaNzQ, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-25)
Such a heart touching read, I'm glad you said writing this has helped you with your healing process because I think it does. I think its correct when someone wrote about the spiritual journey I have been told simular myself. I have also been told that people whom pass and are in distress at this time are... How can I say it... Counselled to understand what has happened to them, before they can start their next journey. I myself have had scent experiences and too believe its our loved ones popping in to say "hello, I'm here" in a gentle way, as any loved ones wouldn't want to scare you in anyway. If you feel comfortable, when you next smell the scent id talk to him, even if its just an hello, I know its you. All the best x
STARRCHiCC14 (31 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-22)
What a touching story. I'm so sorry for your loss. 😢

I also had the same experience like yours. I did smell my (dead) Uncle's cologne especially when i'm home alone but I don't get scared or whatever, actually it makes me feel happy because I know he's just right there, watching over me.
Anyways, thank you for sharing! 😊
RoMaNzQ (4 stories) (36 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
Spiritwaiting and Dan: Thank you so much for your comments and kind words. It is much appreciated.
Dan: Thank you for your input regarding the journey of the soul... It really has comforted me ❤
Spiritwaiting: I am sorry for the loss of your Grandma... I am glad that she continues to make her presence known ❤

I continue be fascinated by the soul...

Blessed Be
RomanzQ
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
RoMaNzQ: A very touching story and I'm sorry about your loss, I have no doubt as to what you experienced was indeed Robz.
In regards to smelling his cologne I can personally say this does occur, a few months after my grandmother passed away I had a huge experience when I was alone at work all of a sudden I could smell the perfume she used to wear quite strongly. This still happens everynow and then but not so often.
I think it was his way of letting you know that he was okay and he knew that you would react to the scent of the cologne. I wish you all the best and thank you for sharing with us here.

Dan
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-20)
RoMaNzQ, I'm truly sorry for your loss of a great love. This is honestly one of the only stories, that literally choked me up. I've done a lot of research on the spiritual journey so to speak. The amount of it is astounding. We come here, as souls to learn lessons for a better spiritual growth. When we pass on, we are still very much alive, but just not in our physical bodies. We go to Heaven, or whatever else you believe in (didnt mean to sound rude), and we continue to learn, our soul never dies, it just has taken on a new form. Our loved ones still visit, and check on us, and believe that he knows, your thinking of him, he knows. Thats the reason, more than likely he gave you confirmation at the meeting, and the amazing scent you've smelt around. Sorry I didn't mean to get spiritual, just trying to help you. I hope it does. ❤ 😊
RoMaNzQ (4 stories) (36 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-20)
Thank you guys.

I appreciate everyones input.

I am glad that Robz personality remains intact ❤

Blessed Be
RomanzQ
lostghostgal (69 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-20)
I did smell my father's cigarette in my bedroom and we don't allow smoke in the house I was like uh oh he is visiting me to see how I am doing or something... So yeah some spirit can sent off the smell to the living.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-19)
I agree with BJJ. He was a wonderful man in his sobriety which is what drew you to him and he's giving you a powerful reminder of the "real" him with his scent. Doesn't matter how he died, but that you knew and loved him at his best.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-19)
I don't believe cause of death matters. A person's personality and character remain the same. There may be some emotional distress if the passing is tragic, but the personality remains the same.
RoMaNzQ (4 stories) (36 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-11-19)
Thank you Cancan and Fergie for your thoughts.

Fergie: Yes it was very difficult for me to accept but as time went by, I had to learn to deal with the loss of Robz but I always take comfort in knowing that Robz still lingers on, even if it is by just allowing me to smell that sweet scent of DKNY ❤.

Just a quick question though, do spirits/souls that have passed on under circumstances such as overdosing actually maintain the same personality as when they were amongst the living or does that change depending on how they passed away?

I look forward to comments and thoughts...

Thank you YGS for affording me this opportunity to share my story... Reiterating the events of that time on this site has helped the healing process and I think I am finally finding some closure...

Blessed be
RomanzQ
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-11-19)
Hi RoMaNzQ, it is a hard knock to hear of a death that way - sorry for your loss.

It is definitely possible to smell a spirit, at least I believe so. I have had so many 'encounters' this way, that I have lost count. I have one post on here, dedicated entirely to such encounters. It has been suggested that smell may take the least energy for a spirit the 'manifest'. Another thought being, they don't want to scare you, by appearing as an apparition.

To me, it would be obvious that Robz was just popping by, every now and then just to say "Hi!", or maybe to ask your forgiveness; ODs are seldom intentional.

I don't think the name of the guest speaker was coincidence, it was confirmation that Robz was around.

Thank you for sharing your touching narration.
Cancan (1 stories) (8 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-19)
I have heard of a lot of story's with ghost's personal scents lingering, at the place I work (in a restaurant) I can smell cigar smell in the weirdest places, when I know no one has been in that area or smoked in the building. Also some one commited suicid here in the parking lot. I believe the cigar smoke is associated with him, he does other things too letting us know he is around

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: