You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Paranormal Perhaps- Is My House Haunted? Or Am I?

Real Ghost Stories

Paranormal Perhaps- Is My House Haunted? Or Am I?

 

I'll start off by saying that although the idea of the paranormal scares me, I am a sceptic. I enjoy the thought that ghosts may exist but have never seen one myself, with my own eyes.

A few nights ago, myself and my partner went to bed. He went to sleep nearly straight away but I stayed awake. I couldn't shake the feeling that we had left our back door unlocked and that started me imagining that we would be robbed. I have a very vivid imagination and once I imagine something, I find it hard to forget the idea.

So now I'm laying awake thinking we are going to have someone trying to get in, and then I hear a noise. A car pulling up out the front of our house. I live in terraces at the top of a dead end hill so this is a little unusual, its about 2:00am. I stay awake listening a bit longer and that's when I heard the sound that really scared me. It was exactly the sound of something heavy falling from a height then bouncing/rolling in my dining room. I imagined it must have been one of the geodes on my dining room mantlepiece falling off, but they would definitely not bounce as they are incredibly heavy.

After listening for ages, I decide it must be nothing and I will find out in the morning what caused the noise (I'm a big scaredy cat so there is no way I would go down and investigate). Then I hear another noise, and I know EXACTLY what it is. I have a little silver-plated pot on that same mantlepiece filled with my childhood milk teeth (a weird tradition of my father's) and I hear the exact sound of this pot being rattled. That's when I know that something must be going on. After listening for what must have been another hour and not hearing anything else, I get too tired and go to sleep.

I reluctantly told my partner the next day about my experience, I knew he would laugh at me for being scared. It turns out the doors had been locked and evidently nobody had gotten in so the noises were a bit unexplainable. Also I could not find the source of the bouncing bang.

This has happened a few times, although not every time has been in bed. We often get loud bangs in the dining room while we are in our living room watching television or working. Our light bulbs keep blowing in the kitchen and bathroom (though I think that may just be our electrics).

The only unexplainable thing I have seen is my bedsheet drastically change positions after I left my bedroom for a few minutes.

I should add, this has happened to me before in a different way. One of my vivid childhood memories was waking up very early morning, maybe 2/3 am. I thought to myself that there is no reason to have woken up then I started thinking, what if there was someone else in the house? I lived with just my dad in a different house. I could hear him snoring from downstairs, then suddenly I heard a voice say "Shhh" and then "She will hear us." I was really freaked out but eventually went back to sleep and thought nothing else of it.

I suppose my experiences have had me asking whether my brain is playing tricks on me and I am hearing things because of what I thought? It's like I'm thinking about things and then hearing them happen. Or am I picking up on something else being there?

To be honest, the idea is putting me on edge and I don't like being in the house alone and I listen to music to help me sleep.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, thatdarncat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-16)
Oh, dear.

I am bit concerned that you were the victim of a break in, here.

The the car and the thumping all point towards someone being in your house- the someone being a living being with the intent to steal from you.

Get thumb locks for all of your windows and triple check the door locks.

Memories from 2-3 years old can be tricky. Time does strange things to our memories and it's hard to discern dream from reality looking back that far.

Mainly, lock your doors and windows. Keep a flashlight and a bat by the bed (or whatever weapon you deem appropriate, just for home defense in case something happens. Much better safe than sorry).
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-18)
Keep that dang door locked! When I lived in a warehouse, I once had terrible nightmares that people busted in the back door to come search the place for valuables, and I was frantically searching for a weapon and a good hiding spot. After those nightmares, I made sure every door was locked and bolted, even though no one ever touched the front door anymore.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-23)
Hello thatdarncat, To me it sounds likea residual haunting, with the loud bangs going on. The car pulling up could have been a lost traveler, pulling up then out. You may have a curious ghost, playing on your fear. Rattling your jar of teeth, and making the sounds of falling objects. I wonder though, like BJJ, you know the imagination tends to over exaggerate things, why didn't you just wake up your partner, and go together to check? I agree with DON'TLOOKBEHINDYOU,if your scared then get all of your windows, doors etc updated. Stay safe
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
I never like car pull up and I always wonder who that is my family go don't know who that so they are stranger or something. I hope everything ok but you should check on whatever it's fall or something before you think paranormal.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
You've given nothing to indicate the you are haunted and I'm with BJJ on this. Why didn't you just get up and check to see if the door was closed and locked? And did your boyfriend "laugh" at you for being scared? Doesn't sound like anything to be scared of. Try not to let your imagination get the best of you.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+6
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
What the? If you thought the door was left unlocked, why on earth didn't you just get up and go check? It's a simple solution to a non-problem. You get your butt out of bed, and make sure the door is locked instead of laying around freaking out. Taking charge of a situation is just that easy. If the noises scared you, waking up your partner and having him help you look around would have been a good idea. Getting a handle on your fear will do you a world of good. Don't let your fear control you, get control of it.
poultrgyst (9 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
Try setting up a motion sensor or similar type of camera in the areas where you think the noises originate. It would be interesting to see what you catch. If nothing shows up, maybe that will help you sleep better. Also, do you have any pets?
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
Hi thatdarncat, welcome to YGS. I want to ask you what was the reaction of your partner to what you said? I feel that whatever it is present in the house seems harmless. Secondly, something is trying to draw your attention. But what is your and your partner's feeling about these experiences. Do you feel that these are negative entities. If so, then you can do the cleansing.

But still I feel that the entity or spirit is not harmful and it is trying to catch your attention for some reason. You can communicate with it in a polite manner and say loudly and calmly that you acknowledge its presence and that you are not to be startled or disturbed and request it to respect your privacy.

Also try to find out the history of the place. Ask your neighbours or others telling them your experiences. That would give you more information.

Please respond and inform us the developments. Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
damion57 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
pretty creepy, the car pulling up makes me nervous, and it is funny how your mind comes up with stuff to go along with what you hear, try waking your partner if it happens again, between the two of you, maybe you can come up with some explanations, either paranormal or not... But the early expierienc as a child sounds like you may have had some company. 😊
DigitalSquare (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
If you and your partner are experiencing these events at the same time then I would believe it is not in your mind. I would suggest trying to debunk these weird occurrences that is happening In your home with your partner. I for one believe in ghost but I will always look for a logical answer first before getting superstitious.

Worst case, if it is a ghost. It is not trying to harm you but just playing with you or curious of you. This will probably end before you know it. Hope I helped.
DontLookBehindYou (17 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
Sice you heard a car pull up in the start, I would suggest that you get all the bolts and locks of all your doors, windows etc. Checked properly.
Because this seems more like a burglary attempt to me.
I pray for your and your partner's safety:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: