You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: An Unforgettable Carol Night

Real Ghost Stories

An Unforgettable Carol Night

 

I experienced this during Christmas when we were on our carol rounds at midnight, like after 12:30 or so. As our church didn't book for a bus some of the members decided to bring their own cars and go for the carol round.

We finished visiting houses in Nerul and we were heading to Vashi through Palm Beach Road. We were 5 of us in the car and we were the ones leading the group. I still remember the song playing in the car, it was "Nearer My God To Thee." It sounded so peaceful to listen to it at that point of time, when suddenly the one who was driving seemed to have lost control of the car and the car just swerved left-right for 5 minutes or so and then everything was normal.

The other four of us inside the car were scared about whatever had happened few minutes ago. When we asked the driver (he is a member of our church) as to what happened and how did he suddenly lose control, what he answered us froze everyone!

He told us that he saw a man crossing the road and going to the other side where, other than mangroves, there is nothing. And to avoid hitting him, he swerved to the left and then lost control. Whereas we had not seen anyone crossing the road ahead and who would, at that point of time, go the other side of the road where there are only mangroves?

I still can't understand is that why only the one who was driving the car could see a man crossing the road and not us? Is it because there are accidents taking place in that stretch? I still remember no one was asleep and there were cars behind us too which asked us as to what had happened and why had he lost control. When he told them the reason they too said that they hadn't seen anyone. Then how come he only was the one to see that man?

I still shiver when I think what would have happened if there was a truck behind us when the car lost control. We would have met with a very serious accident! I thank God for saving us:-) an unforgettable night though!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, annie11, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

VivekThekote (1 stories) (105 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-10-06)
Hi Annie 11, It was a scary encounter, Yes the Mangroves around Vashi are said to be haunted but Thank God you all are safe. The soul of the man may be a wanderer may be waiting for salvation. God Bless All.
instant_crush (1 stories) (30 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-31)
annie11,

I read your story and I believe you. I used to live in seawoods (Kendriya vihar to b precise) and often, went to centre-one in vashi via Palm Beach Road. I remember the elders often saying that Palm Beach is haunted as heck. Maybe what the driver say was a possible victim of an accident. Infact, even the NRI complex, my uncle told me based on his experience, happens to be haunted. *shivers*
sand33p (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-13)
hey!annie11
I've read the story. It gives me shivers. After reading I made a thorough search and found that on sep 13 a speeding Honda city crashed into an omni in which 3 people died. Maybe the driver saw was correct and lose control. Thank god you're safe...
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
Hi Annie11, I think there's been some good suggestions made about rational possibilities with this one. It's common-sensical to start from the rational and work all the way through each one until it gets to a point where things just can't be explained.

Before I experienced the sighting of ghosts, I was a complete skeptic and a total atheist, I am still atheist but am less skeptical now. What I found with my sighting is that it appeared to have been a deliberate event in the middle of the night, and this might help to explain your sighting, but questions need to be asked first.

Do ghosts have the power to reveal themselves to just a few people they choose? Or do certain people have the ability to see them, while others cannot -- a certain light spectrum or a certain angle at which they are seen, like a vapour trail left by an aircraft?

This doesn't explain noises or movements of objects, but if your driver was not tired at the wheel, it may explain the reason why he could only see it and not anybody else.

By his deliberate swerving of the sighting, we may assume that the ghost appeared completely solid to him. If it looked like mist I guess he would have driven straight through it. But it might be worthwhile asking the driver, if you ever see him again, as to whether the sighting appeared completely solid to him or not?

Also, I know how difficult this can be, but find out as much about the area where the sighting took place. If at all possible, it would be useful to locate the exact spot (or as near to it as possible) to find out whether an accident had taken place near there or whether it is something residual, like an old pathway that crosses a more modern road. If this is residual, then it reminds me a lot of a similar case to the ghostly monk, haunting the Stockbridge Bypass, near Sheffield (UK):

Http://www.hauntedisland.co.uk/ghostly-hitchhikers/jumping-ghoul-of-stockbridge-bypass-sheffield

But that ghost has reputedly killed up to 8 drivers.
annie11 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-24)
Red
I agree with you... 😁

DontLookBehindYou
As I said the driver too is a memeber of our church, so the possibility of him being drunk is ruled out. If he was drunk we wouldn't have allowed him to take the wheel in the 1st place...!...and then one of my friend experiencing the same thing... I truly believe he saw something
Thanks for commenting
Regards
DontLookBehindYou (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-24)
Maybe, just maybe your driver was drunk. It is a possibility, right? And in cases like these, no possibilities should be ruled out.
But then again, I live in Mumbai myself and I am aware of that particular stretch. Many accidents have been reported where's the driver has lost control for no apparent reasons.
It is a definitely a confusing scenario.
Thanks for sharing, though:)
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-23)
annie11
As Franklin D. Roosevelt said there is nothing to fear but fear itself, you have nothing to fear from this spirit. My feeling is that this man was hit by a car while crossing the road or died after he crossed the road. Since he doesn't stop when cars are coming tells me that he is a residual haunting as he doesn't seem aware of cars and repeatedly crosses the road. Just tell your friends to drive slower and more carefully on this area.
Regards
RedWolf
annie11 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-23)
Red I happened to share this with one of my friend yesterday and to my surprise he too had experienced the same thing while on a late night drive with his friends which makes me believe that the driver did see something ahead him while driving... It gives me chills...
😐
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-23)
annie11
Welcome to YGS. Since you say that there have been many fatal accidents on this road I would do an internet check to see if there have been any fatal accidents on or near that date in that general area. It may be a residual haunting that happens only that time of year or an intelligent haunting warning people to slow down on that stretch of road.
Here on Long Island they have a list of the deadliest roads and what stretch of those roads are the deadliest. The statistics are frightening. One part of the one parkway is called death alley by police and residents that live by that area.
Regards
Red
annie11 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-22)
The driver is experienced when it comes to driving especially during night and we hav booked him before too for our carol rounds and nothing like this has happened before...
There are many accidents taking place on this stretch some being really fatal so maybe I guess there is something paranormal connected to it...!...
Thanks for commenting though:-)
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-22)
Hi annie11, welcome to YGS. Like lady-glow, I was also thinking if the driver for a few minutes fell asleep. Again I go with lady-glow on the time factor. Because the car lost control, you guys must have thought it was for five minutes. Actually, it could have been just a short period of time. However, the time factor is not quite important and as you said that you did not get yourself into major road accident. Thank God.

But I know Nerul-Vashi Palm Beach Road had some accidents and if possible, you can investigate and ask about it to some of your friends, who regularly use that road, especially in the nights. Perhaps that could give us some clues.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-21)
Hello annie11: Welcome to YGS.
This is an interesting story.
It is difficult to know for sure what happened that night, but since you are asking for help I'd suggest to consider this questions:
-Is there a chance that the driver was tired and fell asleep behind the steering wheel? That could explain why he was the only one who 'saw' the man crossing the road.

-Do you know if any fatal accidents have happened in that stretch of the road? Perhaps he really saw a ghost and the rest of you didn't because your attention was not on the road.

I personally find it difficult to believe that he lost control of the car for five minutes, but any stressful situation alters our perception of time, and probably that's why you think the car swerved on the road for such a long period of time, but I'm glad you guys didn't have an accident.

Thanks for sharing your story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: