You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Devine Intervention, Or Something Else?

Real Ghost Stories

Devine Intervention, Or Something Else?

 

Back in January of this year, I had an incident happen at my home. At the time, I wrote it off as non-paranormal; now I am beginning to have my doubts. Recently I read, and "digested" an account written by triden07 called "Intervention". It gave me pause for thought.

It must have been some sort of precognition that made me write this experience down and send it to my daughter Nicky, plus a few of my choice cyber friends, very shortly after the event.

Let me set out a few of the circumstances that led up to this wry event.

On numerous occasions, shortly after my husband (Ray) had left to visit a friend, our front "door-bell" would ring; our bell is actually fixed to the outside of our front four-foot wall, next to our gate. Each time the bell rang, it would be a beggar asking for a hand-out. Word must have gotten around that I was a "soft touch" as I always had loose change or some food on hand - sometimes an article of clothing that "shrunk in the wash" - LOL. Eventually it started to irk me that nine times out of ten, this only happened when I was alone at home - was my house being watched? I was starting to get the feeling that something "nasty" was in the air.

One day, I decided that enough was enough and put my foot down!

If the following account is slightly disjointed, I apologise. I am going to copy/paste from my personal letter.

***************

Wednesday morning, Ray pulls out our aging Merc, to go visit a mechanic friend, as the 'old lady' has problems starting in the mornings. I am left here on my own, to potter around the house, and see what mischief I can get up to on the internet!

A couple of hours later, our front door-bell rings. I leave my shenanigans at the computer, walk across the lounge floor, to peer nearsightedly through the curtains. I see a beggar standing outside the front gate. (We have a push-button attached to our front wall) I decide not to face this person at this particular time, so I ignore the, by then, frantic ringing and shouts! I tried phoning my hefty neighbour, but it went to voice mail...

Suddenly, I get this 'feeling'...premonition? I don't know? Maybe a warning from someone? Well anyway, I just know that something is up! I can't see this man through the curtains any more... All is quiet!

I crouch down and take off running up the passage. (We have a stable door and the top was open) I fish out our pistol hurriedly from the bedroom, and go to the corner of our "L" shaped passage. I peep around the corner... All clear... I kick off my sandals and charge silently to the front door.

I stand with my back to the wall, just to the left of the front door... Listening intently! I hear a sound just outside the first security gate (we have two), I sneak a peek... I see movement! I swing around pointing the pistol out the front door... Just as this dude moves into view, right there in our front yard! I am in the 'stance', I have a bead on his head... I pull the trigger! The pistol goes 'click'!

I forgot to put a slug in the chamber... What an idiot I am!

Meanwhile, this dude has spotted me... In a flash he realizes I have a gun in my hands... He screams "Ag nee" (Oh no!) and vanishes from whence he came, over the wall.

Five minutes later, Ray rolls up in the now 'purring Merc', to find me still on an adrenaline 'rush'! It took me at least twenty minutes to calm down...

***********

This particular person had somehow learned my Christian name, and was calling me by it! It worried me that he was so familiar with our "intimate" details. Where did he get that bit of information from? Also, Zeus (our dog) didn't bark at this man (so, he had "tamed" Zeus), but let me know by a peculiar sound that he has, that our yard had been entered. That is what really "put my back up" as I knew our gates were locked!

On reflection, if I had shot that man, even if he was trespassing, I would have been in a whole heap of trouble. And, if the truth be told, I would have sworn that Ray left a shot in the chamber! So, if there is no such thing as coincidence: Who alerted me to impending danger, and who made sure that there wasn't a bloody mess (literally) in our front yard? Was this our dearly departed daughter, or divine intervention, or just plain luck?

On an upbeat note, since this event, I have had no more unexpected visits whilst alone at home.

Other hauntings by Fergie

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Fergie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-30)
OMG mamachong, your poor mother-in-law! Isn't it amazing how these vultures 'smell blood' as soon as the man of the house isn't around? I am so glad that she was able to fend off that persistent guy - what a cheek he had! We girls have to stand up and defend our homes and property (and ourselves) when our other halves can not.

Not matter where that warning came from, I will be eternally grateful for it, and blissfully happy that I listened to it!

Thank you for reading, and your comment, Mamachong.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-30)
Hi Swimsinfire, we don't have a community kitchen/pantry here in SA, or not that I know of. The only shelter that I know of is run by the Salvation Army, but there isn't one in my part of the province. I have since been donating to our local old age home, and to an animal shelter which runs a thrift shop. That way, I feel I am helping both humans and animals.

I have the feeling that Angel keeps an eye on me from time to time. 😉 Just recently I have been having experiences which I am still trying to debunk. Nothing 'major', but odd, none-the-less.

Thank you for your comment, I shall do my best to take care.
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-30)
My mother in law had a simular experience after her husband died. It was only two or three days after he died when these guys would show up trying to sell her stuff, would walk in without permission or even knocking. One night he tried to break into her bedroom window. Her dog was trying to attack him to keep him out. She actually used a hammer to keep him out, hit him in the head. Still wouldn't give up. He went to her front door and she hit him with the hammer numerious times when finally he left. He's still alive though.

You do what you have to, to protect yourself. She didn't really get any warning. I'm glad you listened to your warning.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-29)
I'm agreeing with the Angel theory. And generosity is a good thing, but it's really better to give to a community kitchen or shelter. Do they have them in South Africa? Be carefull.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
RedFairy, we are both licensed owners. My hubby, when I met him was in the SAP, so he took me for training before he bought me the pistol. We have a gun safe bolted to the floor and wall - it would take an explosion to dislodge it!

It is the scariest experience Ever, to wake up and find an intruder in your home. That happened to us once, a few years ago. Thank heavens HE wasn't armed. Our arms were in the safe... Hubby got his finger broken trying to grab hold of the sod.

This guy had been to our house a couple of times in the past. I think our dog thought he was 'okay' because he had watched as I gave him food or money. But "genoeg is genoeg" as they say, a person can't just keep on giving every time.

Thanks for reading and your good advice. I live in GP (Gangsters Paradise), so I should know to be careful. Sometimes one tends to forget though. 😉
RedFairy (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
Scary experience! Don't relax your guard. There has been an increase in theft of safes... People are trying to get hold of firearms. Keep your alarms armed when you're home alone, at least the ones you can (outside beams etc). It's scary that the dog seems to "know" this person!

When you say "our" pistol I hope it means you are both licensed to use it... Otherwise someone could end up in even MORE trouble should you ever have to use it! And thank goodness you didn't use it, by the way. I had a similar experience, only they were IN my house, while I slept.

Be safe, be alert! 😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
BadJuuJuu, we do have an alarm system thank goodness, and I have stopped giving hand-outs. LOL, the door-bell doesn't ring half as often now-a-days. This incident made me 'selfish'; I realized that my safety was more important than their need. I now donate unwanted clothing etc to an animal shelter. 😉
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
Babygoatpuller, I am hoping it was Angel that kept me out of trouble. I hope that she is around quite a lot now, as I am going to be home alone more frequently for a while.

Lol, my gut feeling kicked in before Zeus gave his 'signal', for which I am very thankful, else I wouldn't have had the pistol in my hands when the guy appeared in front of the security gate.

Thank you as always, for your comment.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
Spiritwaiting, it irks me when things like this occur. And it makes me pretty nervous when they seemed to wait until my hubby was not at home - sometimes it would be only 5 minutes or so, after he left.

Thankfully, this particular guy has never showed up again. I guess looking down the barrel of a pistol wasn't his cup of tea. LOL.

My precious Zeus let's me know when there is someone here, be it friend or foe, only sometimes he gets mixed up. But yes, thank goodness, we were both okay.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-27)
Do you have an alarm system? If not, invest in one. Stop giving money/food/clothes to people who just show up. I know it sounds cold, but it's possible that the guy was some crack head who's heard about your generosity and decided to take advantage of that. I'm glad that you were prepared to defend yourself, and that someone gave you a warning, but this is scary.
I'm serious about that alarm system. Stranger danger and all that.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-27)
WOW Fergie! I'm going to go with your Angel on this one. You've got great "gut" sense and and she's there to back you up, protect you and keep you out of trouble. Can't ask for much more than that! 😁

Brenda...
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-27)
Fergie, it sounds like this could have been a mean spirit trying its best to enter your humble abode. Using an innocent bystander as a body. It is interesting, these visits only come along when your husband is away. I believe this could have been some sort of divine intervention, saving you from all the trouble that could have come from this. Results, you let whatever it was know you werent playing around, and all has hopefully been quiet ever since. Thank goodness you and your precious Zeus are ok!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: