You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Shadow In My Bed

Real Ghost Stories

The Shadow In My Bed

 

When I was only about two or three years old, I was sleeping in my crib peacefully, in my bedroom that I always found suspicious. All the sudden I was awakened from my quiet slumber to see a shadow hovering above me, trying to grab me.

I could not really make out a face, but the lady was very tall and appeared to have a bun on the top of her head. It was about 3:00 AM. I immediately shrieked of fear and my mother came running to see the problem, and I explained as much as I could using little words to piece what I saw together, like "shadow" and "tried to get me". My mother just figured I'd seen my own shadow on the wall next to me, but I knew for sure that it was a completely different figure.

I had seen the lady standing at my crib every night from then on, not doing anything bad, but it still disturbed me a bit knowing she tried to take me the one night. I never tried talking to the woman, and I barely got any sleep considering I was extremely petrified of what would happen. My mother had noticed my lack of sleep and she finally told me to get rid of the spirit we would just spray air freshener and she would leave. And I did believe that at first, but once we did that, nothing had changed at all.

Nothing really bad did happen, just little things to get your adrenaline pumping but nothing beyond that. The spirit slowly backed off and eventually did not show up at all. About a month after that experience we had just been researching our house's past residences and had seen that a woman had lived here and passed away. I believe that the spirit was not trying to hurt me, maybe she had just missed being around kids or her own child. I never saw the same spirit again, although I still find my room strange.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mellomel21, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

josephgogi (2 stories) (34 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-04)
I remember telling my mom once that I remembered the pony photo I took when I was about 3 or 4 years old. My mom looked at me very surprise and said 'you weren't 3 years old, that was your first birthday!" I remember it was a brown and white pony. I remember the pony's neck kept twitching a lot and I got scared and started to cry. Back then it was very common for someone to bring a horse or pony for bithday photos. They would also bring a cowboy costume. That's the earliest memory that I can recall. So it is possible to remember that far back. I am 51 years old now and I wrote the story titled "Lillie" in this forum.
Nathaniel (37 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-30)
Not true, lostghostgal. I can remember things from when I was 3. What I was doing, thinking and feeling!
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-30)
I am not try be rude, but How you know what going on at early age as a infant between 2 and 3 of age cause no babies will never remember any things what going on until maybe 4 or 5 of age. Plus let you know that freshner air that you spray don't get rid of ghosts that not how it's work. Just that you may notice the other poster kind of scatch their head in wonder as I am too.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-30)
Hi mellomel21, many questions asked and many answered. I do know that people have phenomenal memory power. Still perhaps there could have been some rational information. You said you have been seeing the shadow of a woman hovering over your bed and thereafter you saw the woman herself for quite a long time. Quite interesting. Perhaps she was just missing the kids, like you said. Had it been shadows that you have been seeing, I wanted to ask you for some rational explanation.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Nathaniel (37 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-29)
I just wanted to say that just because the OP was really young when the incident happened, that doesn't mean that they are making the story up. I can remember living in an apartment with my parents and younger brother when I was 3. I used to be really scared to sleep in my own room. Not because anything happened, just being scared to be by myself. So I would go to my baby brothers room, and climb into his crib to sleep with him. I remember if he was awake, he'd be staring off into corners and stuff, and that would freak me out. I never saw anything, but it still scared me. Even though I'd be scared, it was better than being alone.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
mellomel21: I appreciate your answer, my doubts were not about you remembering something that happened at age 2 or 3, but the fact that you 'knew' how to tell the time, and yes, a little about the 3:00 am thing that has been overused in some stories on this site. 😐
One of my earlier memories is the day when my parents brought home my newborn baby brother, I was just over 2 years old.
But after those points have been explained your story makes sense and I think is very interesting.
Thanks for sharing.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
mellomel21, Your very welcome and thank you for responding back. I have a great photgraphic memory, longterm as well. It makes sense, that your mother told you, and you put the pieces together. Great experience and thank you so very much for sharing.:)
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
mellomel,
Hi and welcome to YGS. As a sidebar, you might want to actually put all the facts (even the mundane, logical stuff) into your accounts in the future. The tiny tidbit of your mom telling you of the event and time when you were older may have gone along way into readers understanding.
When I was about 2, I had a very bad experience, that caused me to suffer nightmares for decades. However, it wasn't until I was in my twenty's that my mom broke, and finally told me that those nightmares were actually memories of a traumatic event and filled in the gaps for me. For some reason, my parents thought it was better for me to believe that they were just 'bad dreams', then to know they had actually happened. So, to me it's plausible that you remember this shadow.
Anyway getting past all that, I found your account very interesting. Perhaps this lady simply admired babies.
mellomel21 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
lady-glow and RoMaNzQ to the people wondering how I remembered that far back, I have a strong memory and I'm still only 16 years old, so I can remember seeing the shadow and screaming. I was 2 or 3 so I told my mom "shadow". I know it was 3am because my mother told me the whole story when I was older 😊
mellomel21 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
spiritwaiting, yes, now that I'm older I think that as well. I think she might've lived there before us, and maybe she just missed her family members so she was just admiring seeing a baby. And thank you!:)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
I'm not trying to answer for mellomel but having had a similar experience, maybe I can offer some suggestions without putting words in the o/p's mouth.

When you are dealing with a child who doesn't understand what is going on, you respond to the situation in a way they will understand. A spray bottle filled with "magic" or whatever to a small child, as long as he or she believes it will work, is no different than them believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy. As long as they believe that mommy or daddy is going to take care of the situation by "spraying it away", most of the time a child will believe. Because they believe in their parents and they want to believe the scary thing will go away.

I also had my doubts about the 3am but I wondered if maybe because the story has been retold to mellomel, s/he has been told over the years what time it was.

I try not to provide excuses for people to use but this time, because I've been in these same situations, it makes perfect sense to me. Just my opinion, nothing more nothing less.
DOS (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
Oops, I just realised that somehow I got the author mixed up, so in my last post, I was referring to mellomel21, not RoMaNzQ.
DOS (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
I see that some of the people in the comments are dismissive of this story, in part due to the fact that RoMaNzQ can remember as far back as 2 and 3 years old.

I'm not trying to start a fight here, but I'd like to say that I have a few memories as far back as that. Nothing too interesting. For example, I can remember being in a pram while my mum was browsing clothes in a small store, and the clerk was talking to me. I don't remember what she said to me, but I do remember my mum saying to her "She's not talking much yet". I also remember I was holding a small G.I Joe style toy, and sucking on the legs.

Some people have what is considered "photographic" memory (most of you have probably heard of it), and although I have nothing of the sort, I do have an Aunty who apparently has such a strong memory, she can remember the exact hour that things occurred, the page a particular word was written in a book, and the colour of a shirt that someone wore ten years ago on a particular day. The mind is a crazy thing!

Having said all of that, I know it's up to each of us to make up our own minds about each story here, based on the information the writer gives us. 😁
RoMaNzQ (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
Ok...so here goes, I am in total agreement with the other posters here... Totally MY own opinion:

To be quite honest, I do not believe this story from the way it was narrated. There are way too many holes in your story and not to mention the questions everyone is asking.

So I really mean no offence to you and yes it was an interesting read but as far as facts are concerned, I am not inclined to believe this.

I cannot remember as far back as last week, least of all memories from when I was two and three years old.

Would be interesting to clarify the following though:
1. How did you know it was 3am?
2. I was sleeping in my crib peacefully, in my bedroom that I always found suspicious." Explain HOW you as a toddler knew this was "suspicious"
3. "My mother had noticed my lack of sleep and she finally told me to get rid of the spirit we would just spray air freshener and she would leave. And I did believe that at first, but once we did that, nothing had changed at all." My question here is WHY would your mum discuss "spirits" with a two year old? Let alone telling your that "air freshner" would chase away the lady 😕.
4. Kindly explain HOW you (being a toddler) helped your mum research previous occupants of your house and found out that a woman had died there?

I really do not mean any offence but your story has little to no credibility unless our questions are answered.

Blessed Be
RomanzQ
DontLookBehindYou (17 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-28)
I agree with lady glow completely. How can you even remember what happened to you when you were 2 so vividly? It's totally unreal. Yeah and I even I was about to say the 3 AM thing. You must have been an exceptionally gifted infant to have such a memory and ability to read the time at the tiny age of 2.
No offense.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-27)
Yeah, right! If you were a 2 or 3 year old kid, how did you know it was about 3:00 am?
I do not understand what you mean by:"... About a month after that experience we had just been researching our house's past residences and had seen that a woman had lived here and passed away..." -Do you mean that at age 2 or 3 you helped your mother researching the history of the house? I would understand if she took you to the library or to the city archives, but... 🤔

I do not want to be rude but your story is either made up or you need to be a little more specific and accurate on the information provided in your story.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-11-27)
mellomel21, I feel this was a woman, just looking after you. As she would have her own children. You being so young, its not at all strange you were petrified. But I believe she was just watching over you since, cribs are now known for playing a huge role is childrens deaths. Great story. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: