You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Call From The Other Side...?

Real Ghost Stories

Call From The Other Side...?

 

My uncle passed away in the late summer of 2009 due to lung cancer. We were very close, and when I heard the news he had died I was devastated. There's one incident surrounding his death that follows me to this day, one that I have never told anyone about.

I was babysitting at the time, and the children were in the next room while I was watching TV. It was about 7:40. I was just eating some popcorn when my phone rang. Startled, I let go of the bowl and it rolled to my side, spilling its contents all over the floor. I cursed and looked at my phone. It was my uncle. This was strange. He was in the hospital.

"Hello?" I said. There was silence on the other end of the line. I repeated myself, but there was no answer. "Hello, (Uncle's name)? Hey, hi?" I said again. I became irritated. After another few moments of silence I hung up and began to clean up the mess I had made.

The phone call had been odd, and a weight had formed in my stomach. I suddenly felt scared for my uncle. Visions of one of those heartbeat monitors going flat next to my uncle's bed clouded my mind and I couldn't rest easily for the rest of the evening.

Later that night my mother called. I knew from the moment I picked up that something terrible had happened. "Hello, (my name)?" She said. Her voice was shaking. "Yes, Mum, what's wrong?" I said.

"It's about (Uncle's name), he's..." She didn't need to continue. I was completely frozen, staring into the distance as the reality hit me. My uncle was dead. My beloved, poor uncle was dead.

When the parents came home, I walked to my house. It was a short distance away, only about 10 or so minutes. My father and mother were on the couch. She was crying. I snuggled in between them and began crying too. Then my dad started. We were all crying.

Some time later, when the strange phone call popped into my mind, I asked my mother what he time he died at. She said it was 7:40. Around the same time as the phone call. I nodded, thoughts racing through my head. How could my uncle possibly call me if he was dead at that time?

Sometimes I swear I can smell cigarette smoke in my bedroom at night. I have never smoked in my life, nor have my mother or father. At other times, when I'm alone and my parents are out, I feel my uncle close by. It has never frightened me though, because I know he's watching over me.

Thank you.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, EerieSpector, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Darrell (5 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-25)
I know this is an old thread but would like to comment anyhow. I close friend of mine had the VERY EXACT experience. His wife was in the hospital and he was at home. His phone rang he picked it up and nothing but static. This happened three times. Same exact thing every time. He got scared and jumped in his car and sped to the hospital. When he arrived and rushed in he got the bad news... His wife had just passed away not but ten minutes ago. He has no cell phone so he just got the news then. He was floored... Things happen with no explanation all the time, signs are there you just have to accept the answer your given.
girlcatblox (16 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-14)
I'm so sorry for what happened. 😢
Maybe your uncle was trying to tell you that he was in a better place now and that you should be strong.
RoMaNzQ (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-02)
Hi there EerieSpector:

I must admit, this narration was heart warming as much as it was sad.

I had/have similar experiences with regards to smelling a perfume that my ex would wear. After my ex passed away, I would suddenly smell the scent of DKNY My ex's favourite fragrance)...it was odd at first and after I posted my story (Scent of You) here on YGS recently, I realised that it was just my ex letting me that I have not been forgotten.

It is never easy to lose a loved one. I am glad that your uncle remains close by. Thank you for sharing



Blessed Be
RomanzQ
Arwen1957 (7 stories) (47 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-02)
So sorry for your loss How sad for your family. Perhaps your Uncle was letting you know he is in a good place and that he still checks in now and than on those he loves and who love him
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-01)
That was so sweet. Seems like since cell phones have arived, a lot of people choose to communicate as they pass with a phone. My condolences for your loss. It sounds like you have a sweet family.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-12-01)
EerieSpector:
I'm sorry for your loss.
What a sweet and sad story! Your uncle is letting you know that he is fine and thinking about you; I'm glad you do not feel afraid of his presence.
Thanks for sharing your story with us and welcome to YGS.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: