You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Guardian Angel?

Real Ghost Stories

A Guardian Angel?

 

I've been reading stories on this site for a little over a year and decided it was finally time to submit my own paranormal experiences. I will also share some of my family members' experiences a little later because I feel they should be shared with others.

Before I tell my first few happenings, I would like to give a brief history of places I've lived so it will make more sense in my other accounts. I was born in Colorado Springs, CO and lived there until I was fifteen. I then moved to Las Cruces, NM and lived there about 3 year. I now reside in AZ.

When I was roughly between 4-5 years of age, my family attended a little church in Colorado Springs. We hadn't been in this particular building for very long but the church members had turned it from a run down, barn-shaped gas station into a quaint church. So, although it was small, it was close to everyone's heart.

It was a Sunday morning and my dad had chosen a pew closer to the back, on the left side of the sanctuary I believe, for my family to sit in. My dad stood to the farthest left, at the end of the pew by the armrest, then my mom, who most likely held my infant brother. Next was me and then my older brother on my right side. The two pews ahead of us were empty but the 3rd was occupied by people, although I don't recall who.

The song leader asked us to bow our heads so he could pray for the needs or to take up the tithe and offering. I've always been on the short side and could just barely see above the pews. I remember the feeling of the cool wood against my forehead and thinking to myself, "If this guy prays any longer I'm going to fall asleep!" So with that thought, I slightly opened my eyes and slowly lifted my head to peek around the sanctuary and hopefully ward off my sleepiness while everyone was still in prayer.

What I saw truly startled me and the image will stay with me forever. As a lifted my head from the pew I saw a tallish, blond man slightly to my left, in the pew directly in front of ours. His friendly smile beamed down at me as if to say, "I know you're bored and sleepy, but it's ok because you're still young." He was wearing a nice suit and his entire body seemed to be aglow. Not like he had a spotlight on him or even a sunbeam's glow through a window. It was more of a soft, continuous glow coming off of his entire body. It wasn't overwhelming or even that odd to my 4-5 year old mind. I suddenly became very nervous and embarrassed because 1. An adult had caught me disobeying and 2. He would probably inform my dad after church and I would get into trouble.

I quickly put my head down and closed my eyes until the prayer was finally over. I whispered, "Amen" along with the rest of the congregation and lifted my head to gaze over the pews again. I was trying to avoid eye contact with the man in the hopes that he would forget all about me and not feel the need to tell my dad. I was startled yet again to find NO ONE in the pew in front of me but yet I still didn't quite grasp all that had happened and continued on like normal for the church service. In reality the song leader's prayer probably only lasted 3-5 minutes and when I saw this smiling man and bowed my head back down, the prayer only lasted another minute maybe. So either this glowey man was really good at getting past deacons and quietly leaving again or he wasn't from this realm. I truly believe the latter. In the very least it would explain his odd glowing.

The next otherworldly experience I remember occurred when I was around 5 or 6, in the summer. We were going camping somewhere in Colorado with some other families from our church and, of course, I was ecstatic to be around my best friend in the great outdoors for 3 whole days. I remember my dad pulling up to the campground and parking but before he unlocked the doors to let my brother and I free, my mom sternly told me, "You had both better stay close by. There is a creek and I do not want you two going any where near it. Understand?" My brother and I rigorously shook our heads yes and said we understood. My dad unlocked the doors and we jumped out.

I instantly heard the rush of water so, after seeing my dad preoccupied with unloading all the gear and my Mom getting my baby brother out of the vehicle (I assume my older brother ran off to find his friends), I went in search of the creek. Of course my mom's warning hadn't stuck, so off I ran in the direction I heard the water coming from. I hadn't made it 15 feet past our car when I felt a strong tug on my ankles. I suddenly couldn't get my legs to move forward and I felt, very clearly, hands and fingers wrapped around my ankles. I took a step back and didn't feel the invisible hands so I tried taking a step forward and immediately felt the hands again! I tried pulling forward but I couldn't budge. I stepped back again and looked around me to see if anyone was witnessing this bizarre occurrence unfolding before me but my parents were apparently still busy because they didn't even look my way once. I tried stepping back and forth a few more times before deciding to give up going to the creek and go in search of my friend. I took off for camp and soon forgot all about the phantom hands.

Remembering this event some years later I realized how truly thankful I was for whatever held me back. I didn't learn to swim until I was much older and who knows what could have happened to me if I'd actually made it to the water's edge...

I don't think I will ever not be puzzled by these first paranormal events for me, but I do believe somebody was looking out for me. I have plenty more supernatural things that have happened to me I hope to share soon. Until then, God Bless you and thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Afraidnolonger

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Afraidnolonger, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AllieB (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
That sounds more like a guardian angel than a passed relative or random spirit. The glowing tipped me off.
Afraidnolonger (5 stories) (21 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-18)
Thank you all for your comments 😁 I personally do not think the being in the church was a relative because I am from mostly hispanic descent so most, if not all of my relatives have dark hair and skin. My dads dad is the only caucasian I am related to but he didn't pass on until 2008... The event above happened around 1995 or 1996. I really do not know who or what this person was but I never felt threatened and actually feel privileged to have had this experience. I don't feel hindered by not knowing because I believe someday I will find out 😉
hmb2002 (5 stories) (25 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-16)
adraidnolonger, thank you for an awesome story! I've added you and this story to my favorites. The man in the church, I honestly have no idea who or what he was! Maybe he was a passed relative or just a friendly man that had passed and still visits the church. And I think you did have a guardian angel when you had hands on your ankles. I look forward to more of your stories!
sincerely,
hmb 😊
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-14)
Another blond guy. This guy gets around. The passed relative theory sounds right, but also there are a lot of spiritual beings out there that aren't ghosts. I'm just enthralled by the tall glowing blond guy as I and a few of my friends had an expierience with one who just was there, did good helpful things, and left never to be seen again. Makes you wonder. Good story, thanks much.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-14)
dear adraidnolonger, These are some very interesting accounts you have. The man in the church it seems could have been a former church goer, or a relative that has passed. And the hands on your ankles, in the camp, I do believe it was something protecting you. Because you being so young, you may have needed a little protection for your own good. I believe you may have a passed relative watching over you, they do that. Great experiences, and welcome to YGS.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: