You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Ghost Scaring My Dog?

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Scaring My Dog?

 

My dog Maisy sleeps with me in bed and always has since I got her as a puppy. I get in bed and she snuggles up next to me, I pet her and talk to her for a while and then I turn off all the lights and read YGS on my Android until I get sleepy.

One typical night we went through our routine. I had turned off my reader and was about to fall asleep when Maisy, who was sleeping right next to me, jerked like she was startled and then jumped up to all fours and stood beside me on the bed. We like the room pitch black when we sleep so I couldn't see her but I thought, well maybe she had a doggie dream or something. I put my hand on her neck and coaxed her to lie back down. She settled down quickly but within 2 or 3 minutes it happened again. This time I reached over and turned the lamp on. She was standing beside me, head and tail down, just looking from side to side like she was trying to figure out what happened. I thought at the time it was like she was reacting to getting poked or something. So I got her to lie down again. We were both settled I turned out the lights and same thing happened again. This time I turned on the light, sat up in bed and said out loud. "I don't know who you are but leave my dog alone! If you don't leave her alone you're going to have to leave!" I stayed up for a few minutes, just looking around the room to let them know I was serious. I turned off the lights and we slept the rest of the night uninterrupted.

The next a couple of nights were fine but about the 3rd night when I turned off the lights it happened again. I turned on the lights, sat up and said, "I told you to leave my dog alone!" I turned off the lights and we both slept fine from then on. Except... I started noticing Maisy would get up in bed with me at first, sleep next to me with the lights out, but as soon as I turned off my Android and stopped reading, she would wake up from a sound sleep and crawl down to the trundle bed. She would sleep the rest of the night there. She would do this every night. I tried petting her and holding onto her to keep her in bed with me but as soon as I let go, she'd crawl down to the trundle. I was disappointed but I finally got used to it.

That was a year ago. Now, within the last month, I've noticed Maisy is back to sleeping all night in the bed with me. I was very pleased, as I like the company. A few days ago we were going to bed as usual. I got into bed and patted the covers for her to jump up with me and she wouldn't come up. I tried to coax her up but she was just standing 2 or 3 feet from the bed, whining and looking in my direction. I thought she was just being stubborn so I turned the lights off and laid down. She just stood there whining, something she's never done. I turned the lights back on and talked to her. I took her by the collar and led her onto the bed. She went to the very foot of the bed and laid down but was looking nervously at something up near the head of the bed. I do not generally see spirits and rarely sense them but it seemed to me someone was there. So I said out loud, "Whoever you are, you do not have permission to be in here and you do not have permission to mess with my dog!" Then while, petting Maisy, I said out loud a prayer of protection, the Lord's Prayer and the 23rd Psalm. This seemed to calm Maisy down and she fell asleep at the foot of the bed.

Though I won't say I was scared, I was a little freaked out so I texted my sister about what happened. My sister, Bev, senses and sometimes sees spirits on a regular basis so I like her input when I experience something like this. Since it was so late, she didn't text me back until the next morning. She said (about my experience) that it was funny because her dog had woken her up from a dream about our Grandmother and my Great Uncle stopping by for a visit. Both of whom passed on several years ago. I am thinking if this is Nanny H. Trying to keep my dog from sleeping with me, she will not give up easily.

We slept fine the rest of the night but now Maisy will only sleep at the foot of the bed and when I turn off my reader she crawls down to the trundle. Is it disrespectful to sage your grandmother's spirit?

Other hauntings by cakelehde

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, cakelehde, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-20)
Hmm it may be something or someone other than your grandmother then. And I hear you when it comes to judgmental loved ones. 😉 I'm glad you're going to get a cleansing. I think that would be most beneficial. Please let us know how it goes. 😊
cakelehde (4 stories) (13 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-18)
Hi All! Thank you for your comments. In answer to your questions. Maisy is a very spry 3 year old. She doesn't have a problem sleeping in that bed during the day while I'm not in there. She's a shepherd mix with some grey hound I'm told. Very large but skinny so I don't believe it is a health issue.
I realize it is an assumption on my part that its my grandmother. I just thought of that when my sister had her dream. If it is that grandmother, she was not your typical tender, caring grandma. She was judgemental, controlling and even intentionally hurtful. That being said I came to understand her when I got older and loved her.
I was the one beside her in the hospice when she passed at the ripe old age of 97. That was 2 years ago but maybe she followed me home.
I will need to do a cleansing after the holidays. Right now Maisy and I are sleeping in the family room on a futon. Whatever the problem is, it isn't in there.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-18)
Awwww your final question is so sweet and cute. I agree with the others that a vet check is in order. My toy poodle in her old age is not so keen on hopping up into bed with me anymore, even though that used to be her most favorite thing. Her hips hurt her. My parents give her half a baby aspirin every day. Unfortunately I don't live with my parents so I don't get to cuddle with my puppy often these days.: (I miss her. In any case, I do think that even if it is your Nanny, that bed belongs to you and apparently your dog. No one should be poking, shoving, moving, or waking your dog simply because they disapprove of her presence in your bed. I don't think a saging is necessary, but you man want to inform your Nanny that you wish to respect her but need her to respect you and Maisy as well, or you will regretfully have to make certain she leaves. That's assuming it is your Nanny. It may be just a hip issue or something else. No matter what, best of luck to you. ❤
lostghostgal (69 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-18)
Hi, My Late Cat Taffy was 14 had a stroke before she did she always sleep with me when she jump in bed plus she did see something that I can't see but I can feeling like being watching as soon later in may she got stroke and can't jump in bed anymore and became blind too I love her as my baby. She can see spirit then I can't but I do see her eyes seen something beyond from her. So now in 2011 she passed away. So Guess your dog might need check up before she have stroke or what the poster suggest say joint any of behavior and illness. I know animals can see what we can't see. I love animals ghost story.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-16)
cakelehde,
You do not say how old or what breed of dog Maisy is. From what my vet tells me that medium and large breeds start becoming arthritic and other hip/joint problems around 5. So I agree with Silverthorne and Miracles51031 that a vet check is in order.
Perhaps it isn't a relative that is bothering your dog but another spirit. Try Saging your room saying whatever prayer you feel will protect you and Maisy (have a window open) and tell it that it must leave through that window and may not return. If that doesn't work Rookdygin has a home cleansing method I am told is quite effective on his profile page.
Regards
RedWolf
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
cakelehde - I agree with Silverthorne. If, after having Maisy checked out by a vet and you get an A-okay, I don't see anything wrong with using sage. To me it really is no different than someone living who doesn't live with you telling you what you should do with your animals.

No matter how well meaning, it isn't their home, their dog, nor their business. If you believe it is your Nanny H, tell her how you feel. Explain to her that it's making both you and Maisy uncomfortable. I think I'd make sure she understands that you love her and respect her intentions; however, this is your home, not hers, and Maisy is your dog. Maybe it would make a difference 😕
Silverthorne (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
Personally, I would take her to the vet for a checkup just to be sure she's not having any physical issues. Any change in behavior can be a sign of illness. Sometimes a dog will choose to sleep on a lower surface because of joint pain, it's easier to get on/off something low and causes less strain to the joints. Just to be safe, get her checked out.
If there are no physical ailments, it's possible something paranormal could be bothering her. A family member should know better than to mess with your dog. If a ghost disrespects your home and four legged family member, they need to go. Period.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: