You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Roger Williams Inn

Real Ghost Stories

The Roger Williams Inn

 

About a month ago, my boyfriend and I went on a retreat in Green Lake, WI. We stayed on the grounds of a conference center, thankfully not in the building my experience happened in.

I should explain that this was a religious event and that I have more than a few qualms about posting this here. My boyfriend and all of the friends I was with are very religious, and I am not. I'm only just beginning to understand most of these things. I did explain to them what happened, and they told me, due to my apparent "conversion", that it was a battle between God and Lucifer for my soul (personally, I don't think so). My boyfriend was with me during the experience, and he claims it may have been something demonic. I do think I've had something attached to me for awhile and I may post about that at some point, but it's something I don't like to think about too often.

We had gone away from the large group meeting because I had a headache and there was loud music playing. The building next door was the Roger Williams Inn, built in about 1930 or so (this property is very old and has been gradually built on for about 150 years. There's an old Civil War prison near the entrance). This is where we had gone to register and where some of the seminars were held. The first floor has a split-level hallway where bedrooms used to be.

One of these empty rooms had been designated for prayer. There was nobody around, so we went in. We'd only been in there long enough to look around and I had the feeling that something did not want me there. My boyfriend shrugged it off, and we sat on the floor in the middle of the room. He began praying and no sooner had he invoked the name of God than I received a hard shove forward. Something had placed its hands on my shoulders and pushed me. There was no one else in the room. I sat facing the door and would have noticed if somebody had come in.

I stood up and started gathering my things, blathering that I wasn't staying in there one second longer when I began to feel very nauseous. I dropped my stuff and bolted into the adjoining bathroom, dry heaving. He came in after me and asked if I was all right. I was perched on the edge of the tub, coughing, when a large chunk of plaster fell from the ceiling into the tub, inches from my head. As I said, this building is very old and looks as though it's never been renovated. Parts of it are probably structurally unsound.

He eventually got me back out into the room and insisted that we pray together. After a few minutes, whatever it was dissipated and I was calm enough that I could get up and leave.

A few nights later, I was sitting alone in our apartment (we live together--he was at work) when I heard the sound of falling plaster from the bathroom. There is no plaster in the bathroom. The walls are concrete block and the ceiling is tile. A while later, when he was back, I was sitting with my back against the arm of the couch and something began pulling my hair. I'm a bit worried about this, because if it is what I think is or was attached to me, the last time it touched me I ended up with bruises and scratches on my arms and body. I completely freaked out and started swatting at it--only to find nothing tangible there. He grabbed my hands and again insisted on praying.

It's gone for now, but I'm worried it might come back if it knows I'm trying to figure out what it is.

Other hauntings by SanguineConscripte

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SanguineConscripte, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
10 years ago (2013-12-22)
SanguineConscripte: I think what everyone is trying gently to say is this particular group sounds like a cult. If you're trying to find your path through Christianity I would highly suggest a more established organization such as Methodist, Protestant, Catholic, etc. However, I sense you have an aversion to the "organized religious scene". If that's the case do yourself a favor and cut the ties with this group and your boyfriend. You can find real fulfillment with a non-denominational church.

As far as the entity is concerned, have you thought of the possibility that it may be someone who is trying to tell you this situation isn't a good one?
francyne1031 (49 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-22)
What type of religious "group" is this? What are there beliefs?

I know that religion is taboo on here. So we can understand this expir fully, I think it's pretty prudent this time.:)
SanguineConscripte (3 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-22)
The room was empty except for the two of us, and he was sitting in front of me.

No, I don't have anyone else to stay with. I know these people sound kind of bad, but one-on-one outside the group they're perfectly normal. I think everybody in this group is just afraid to disagree with the "fearless leader".
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
It sounds like getting involved with his church is what landed you in this fix to begin with. I say full steam ahead with any cleansing that strikes your fancy. You're the one being hassled by an entity, not him. That kind of makes it your call, not his.
I can't help but wonder, the initial shoving incident. You say no one was in the room but the people you were with. Were any of them in a position to shove you? Anyone behind you?
You say you were meant to attend this event without your boyfriend, so you wouldn't be swayed by any outside influences. Huge red flag. You don't know what your boyfriend did that weekend. Huge red flag. The control aspect of this group? Massive red flag.
Do you have friends or family you could stay with for a little while? A little privacy and space to get your situation under control would be a very good idea right now.
SanguineConscripte (3 stories) (6 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
Talked to my boyfriend about this. He disregards any cleansing methods. His preferred remedy?

"Come to church with me."

Don't think that's going to solve anything.
RoMaNzQ (4 stories) (36 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-12-18)
Something does not feel right about this... This is purely MY opinion and I mean no disrespect at all. I do not wish to cross any personal lines BUT...

The control aspect is quite disturbing to say the least...

I would highly suggest doing some background checks on the validity of this "group", its origins, members and their methods of worship...

I would highly recommend Rooks cleansing. A lot of the senior members on YGS swear by it...

I do hope that whatever it is that seemed to have attached to you is gone for good...

Goodluck and do keep us posted if there are any new developments.

Blessed Be
RomanzQ
SanguineConscripte (3 stories) (6 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-16)
Yeah, there are some people who think this group is rather cult-like. Every time somebody wants to organize or do anything, they have to run it past the leader guy. Originally, I was supposed to go to this think alone and my boyfriend wasn't supposed to be there. Apparently this was so I didn't "get swayed by anyone's opinion". But they ended up sending the chapter president with me. I don't actually know much of what my boyfriend was doing that weekend.
Silverthorne (6 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-12-16)
I don't generally try to be unsupportive of anyone's path. Faith is a beautiful thing, and I'm happy that you've found it. However, I do have similar concerns as Swimsinfire about the control aspect of this group you've fallen in with. I would suggest taking a look at this list http://www.unc.edu/~reddeer/tenets/00_bonewits.scale.html
I mean no disrespect, I'm probably just paranoid due to having seen some folks do odd things in the name of religion. I do believe the majority of people are good and mean well, but the few bad apples do make one leary.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-16)
Yes, I'm always leary of the groups that want you to stay only within their range of authority. But if things have gotten better, that's a good thing. Rooks cleansing method is actually Christian, so this is good. What Spiritwaiting recomended about a personal cleansing you can get from a priest, and it really helps a lot. They usually invite you to bring friends to pray along with. It's not a big thing, just praying and anointing your hands, and you feel good afterwards.
SanguineConscripte (3 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-16)
Thanks. Maybe I'll try a cleansing or something when no one is around. I discovered that whatever it is seems to hate incense, so for the time being that's what I've been doing. It hasn't been back since the hair-pulling incident, though. Hopefully it's gone for good.

If I do any kind of ritual, it will probably have to be Christian. My boyfriend doesn't like Wicca/occult/Ouija board type things (not that I would mess with a Ouija board anyway). He claims to have seen demons, although not here. Whatever is here seemed intent on bothering only me.

And Swimsinfire, what do you mean by "troubling vibes"? Does it seem like they're hiding something? And to answer your question, yes I did have trouble before meeting them. A lot more than I do now, actually. A few of them prayed over me at this conference to "release me from my chains", whatever that means. Maybe that helped.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
Yeah, I got troubling vibes about the whole group. Did you have any problems before meeting any of these people? Just wondering. And true- relationships are not my business. If you go to Rooks profile, he has a great cleansing method.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
Spiritwaiting gave you some excellent advice, SanguineConscripte. A cleansing certainly won't do harm, and it could prove to be effective.

It's not my business--and of course you're free to tell me that--but I'm getting some troubling vibes about your relationship with your boyfriend. I wonder if that's a factor.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-15)
SanguineComscripte, This is very unnerving! It really sounds as though something attached itself to you, while you were at the siminar event, and you brought it home. I recommend a home cleansing, and a personal cleansing. From what you have described as your symptoms while there, it sounds like something was trying its hardest to possess you. You may even try getting ahold of a priest and talk to one about what's been going on. Please stay safe,

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: