You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: My Cousin and the Ouija Board

Real Ghost Stories

My Cousin and the Ouija Board

 

Any of you who have read my comments to others can tell I am absolutely against Ouija boards. I had not posted this story yet because, well, it has taken me some time to put it into words. My husband who is a staunch un-believer in spirits and entities (although he feels UFO's are a possibility - go figure) even had experiences with this and tightens up when ever this event is brought up by anyone.

This happened about 3 years ago. My teenage son was having a sleep over with my cousin's son pretty close to the same age. They spent a lot of time together, along with 2 other boys their age. They never were trouble makers or anything, just liked to get together at one of the houses on non-school nights, stay up and watch movies and play video games.

My cousin called me at home at about 9:30 PM just frantic. I could hardly understand what she was saying. I did make put that she wanted me to come over immediately and I could hear all the boys in the back ground talking and being loud, as if they were stressed or excited. It was -8 degrees Fahrenheit so needless to say I wasn't looking forward to leaving the house but she just kept shouting that I needed to get over there.

I bundled up quickly and headed over to their house. It was only about a 5 minute drive, so my car didn't even really have a chance to warm up at all. As I pulled up into the duplex, I noticed my sister's car, 2 other cousins' cars and the people renting the opposite side of the duplex were all outside. I thought "Oh, no. A fire! Oh hope no one was hurt!"

I jumped out of the truck and bounded up the stairs. My cousin kept saying it is down there, it is down there - all the while pointing to the basement stairs. I asked what was down they and she wouldn't answer. She was white as a sheet.

I had the boys lead me downstairs and explain what was going on. The boys indicated that they had just put a rocking chair in the room and while they were playing video games they kept hearing whispering. Thinking it was each other they let it go on for a while. Finally, one of the boys got disgusted because it was interrupting their concentration. He turned around to hush the other boys and saw a figure in the rocking chair. The figure was dark but had a red tinged glow around the chair. My nephew let out a gasp and all of the boys turned around... Here sat this thing with the area of his face directed at the group of boys. As the boys were focused on the being in the chair, it leaned forward and hissed "GET OUT". The boys jumped up as fast as they could to get out there. As the boys left the being jumped out of the chair and hovered about an inch from the ceiling.

When the boys returned to my cousin, she went down stairs and experienced the same Entity. As she got down into the basement, the thing jumped out at her and hissed "GET OUT". She was up the stairs so fast she said her feet did not touch the stairs.

A family friend came over and brought an Ouija board. Up until this point, I had never used one and didn't know much about them. The only thing I though was that they were a bunch of hog wash. We all went into the basement (except the boys, they wanted nothing to do with the basement at all) and began using the Ouija board. We asked if we were alone, it said no. We asked if the spirit wanted to communicate with us, it said no. We asked what the spirit wanted from us and it very plainly spelled out "DIE", then the pointer began spinning. We were all up the stairs in a flash. I was the last one up. I turned and looked down the stairs and near the rocker I could se a shadow of human shape hunched way over with greenish pointed teeth and orange eyes. It began to move towards the stairs and I took the last four steps in one leap. I screamed down the stairs, "you are not welcome in this house, in the name of God and all that is Holy, go back to where you came from. If you can not return, you must not in the name of God pass this door!"

It was 2:00 AM at this time. My cousin and her family came and slept on the hide a bed and air mattresses at my house. We left the basement door firmly locked when we left.

Next morning, we went to my cousin's church and consulted a priest. He said he would meet us at the house in and hour. We feed the kids, took all the kids back to my house, picked up our husbands and headed to her house. We did not enter until the priest arrived, although my husband thought this ridiculous.

When we entered the house, the Ouija board that we had left locked in the basement was in the middle of the living room floor with the pointer dead center in the middle of it. The basement door which we had firmly latched was wide open as were several of the drawers and doors in the kitchen. The television was on and the bathroom shower was on. The priest tried to make light of the situation with some levity, he said "well at least it is a clean evil, it took a shower." None of us laughed.

My cousin and I went outside. I am not sure if there was an exorcism or what, my husband stayed in the house with the priest as did her husband. They were in there for about 1/2 hour. They then went to the back of the house, placed the Ouija board, pointer and box to the board in a metal trash can and burned it. After burning it, the priest sprinkled holy water over the ashes which continued to hiss and sputter (I don't think that was all from the heat). The priest said he did what he could but now might be a good time to relocate and find a different house. My cousins moved two days later, actually spending the nights at my house. The basement door had deep gashes in it both inside and out from top to bottom. As they were moving into the new house, the rocking chair had been placed in the garage until they could figure out where they wanted it. I was walking by the garage and looked over at the chair and saw a man, tall and lean, wearing a faded red t-shirt, black ball cap and jeans sitting there rocking. I assumed it was one of my cousin's friends who had come to help move taking a break. When I went back in the house, I asked my cousin who he was. She said that no one else had come to help move except for family.

They gave that chair away to her sister who thought this was all a hoax. On the 3rd day she had the chair, she walked by her sitting room and saw a young man described exactly as I had seen rocking in the chair. The chair was burned that night in the metal can. Some holy water the priest had left sprinkled on top just for good measure. Again, hissing and sputtering.

All my husband will tell me about being in that house with the priest is there where actions and sounds coming from everywhere and you couldn't pin point a location because it would move. He stated there was something "not human" in there in it was none to happy to be interrupted. I asked if it left. He said he wasn't sure but wasn't in a hurry to go back and find out. He will not talk about it any more.

Other hauntings by KimSouthO

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Nebraska

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KimSouthO, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

vasway4210 (16 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-12)
KimSouthO- I know you posted this story years ago but I wanted to comment to say this is going under my favorites. It was so scary and my heart was racing. As I was reading and got to the part where the Ouija spelled out "die" my dog barked and scared me half to death! I don't know what he was barking at as he nirmally only barks when someone's at the door. Coupled with the fact that I live alone, have just moved into a new (actually old) house, and its after midnight with no lights in my room, I about peed my pants 😲. I'm looking forward to reading more of your experiences
ZMJ01 (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-05)
haha, kim, before I read this story I thought you were over acting a little about Ouija Boards but now I think different 😆 😊
professorfrink (1 stories) (9 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-26)
WOW! Pretty much all I can say about this! Thank the lord that this sort of thing never happened to me when I was using the board when I have used it the "spirit" so to speak never wanted to talk to me after it mentioned it was "demonic", I regret using the board and it disgusts me to see it sitting in my closet day by day I really need to get rid of the thing! I believe that with jesus in the heart of a true believer nothing is impossible and any/all evil shall/will be overcome, hopefully I can reach that point someday jesus bless u.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-21)
why thankyou for the reply Kim. Again, sorry to nitpick... But sometimes things jump out at you, and need a bit of clearing up. 😁
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
Pjod,
Sorry for confusion. Our original priest successor checks in with my cousin and their family regularly. The original priest has passed on as stated. <y husband, son and I no longer belong to the Catholic church so we do not have contact with the successor.

Thanks for reading!
God Bless!
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-20)
Kim,
still a bit confused with the priest. Accord to the story, this took place about the summer of '04. In your comment on 6-25-08, you say the priest still checks in with the family, even though you left that church about 6 mos after the incident. However, in your comments on 9-11-07, you state that the priest died only 3 mos after the incident. So, what I'm saying is... These two posts contradict each other. If the priest died only 3 mos after this haunt, surely he couldn't be checking in with your family, even after you left his church, which was 6 mos after the haunt. Basically, the priest could only have 3 full months to check in on you before he passed away... Is what I'm getting at. Do you see how I'm confused here? Not trying to nit-pick...but your story does stand out as rather shocking and in your face---and the discrepancy between your 9-11-07 and 6-25-08 posting really nagged at me. Thanks in advance for any response.
DCinAZ (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-10-13)
KimSouthO, Since I'm new to this site and after reading your story about your cat Cinnamon, I've had the fun of going back in time (so to speak) and reading previous submissions. I must say, I'm impressed. This one has kept the comment section rolling for 3 yrs! Now that's saying something. Very frightening, chilling really. I'll not forget this one for a while. It gets under the skin...bbrrrrr!😨
chocolata (2 stories) (22 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-07-08)
wow This is really scary, I was reading and could swear there was someone next to me, I had a friend back in high school that brought the ouija board to my house at a sleepover and as soon as my mother saw it she immediately threw it out and busted out with her bible. That night she told us about a friend of hers that had died after playing with it. Thank god she never let us mess with it. This is the same girl that ended up in the mental institute, a week after we had a sleepover at another friends house and she brought the ouija board with her and as soon as I saw it I left, so I am not completely aware of everyone who played it. But SCARY REALLY SCARY.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-18)
Thank you to all who have commented for your well wishes. I do very much have might mares regarding this time in my life, but we all seem to have some type of night mare or another to deal with,

God Bless and thanks again 😁
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-11)
I honestly don't find this story so far fetched or unbelievable. Maybe that's because of the line of work I'm in now & because I'm a mortician as well as a pastor. Anyway, I'm glad it's over with, save your nightmares. I understand how that is. Thanx for sharing & bless you & yours. Much love.

~LSD~
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-11)
Kim I believe you, I was sitting back reading this, thinking how terrifying it must have been... But I can tell you and I don't care if others believe me or not... But when these angry spirits jump into your body... Believe me...that's something that is terrifying and when I look at this story, I don't feel this entity had evil intentions... Otherwise it would have taken a different coarse of action... I feel it was very ticked of for some reason and flexing his spiritual powers... It crossed the line... And there will be repercussions for it doing so... There are spiritual laws...

God bles Daz
Rashidah (guest)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-11)
Kim
I now finished reading your story.
You do not have to argue over your story being true with some poster who seem not to believe in anything supernatural. They will never get until they themselves have had an experience.

Your experienced sounds very much real.

What I would like to know is if you have had any further hauntings after the priest helped.

Scary experience though 😐
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+2
14 years ago (2010-06-11)
Mannpower,
The stories I submitt on this site as well as others are ment to share, not scare.

As I said, you are entitled to your opinion, but for not believing this story, you seem to have spent a lot of time dwelling on it.

I felt the need to defend my writing and my honor in words, but... You have made your opinion clear. I would like to say I respect that, I can not do so. Your responses seem very pompous to me and I feel sorry for you.

As I stated, I will pray for you.

God Bless!
MannPower (17 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-08)
I apologize if you find my tone or choice of vocabulary 'petty,' this was not my intention. However, the burden of proof is not mine in this situation.

I have no shortage of 'life learning,' nor have I never experienced something out-of-the-ordinary; there's a reason this topic interests me. However, as you implied, both my profession and personal interests have compelled me to dive into the sciences surrounding these phenomena, among other more practical things.

However, gullibility and open-mindedness do not go hand in hand. Often times, the former is confused for the latter, and often occurs in this subject, particularly.

But that's not really the point; like I said, the burden of proof is not on me. I am sorry I do not believe your story at face value. To me, the way it reads and the events portrayed are suspect to fabrication at face value. I am not calling you a liar, your story simply is too fantastic to take on your word.

Like I said; I am open-minded, not gullible. I do not feel 'threatened' by this topic, I just try to show some discernment for users who honestly fear this type of stuff based on stories alone.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-04-09)
Pjod,
I did say on the comment 06-25-2008 the priest passed on 3 months later, which he did - he was preetty aged and led a full life. I did not mention any thing about checking on the family or dying 6 months later. I guess now I too am confused.

Thanks!
God Bless!
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-03-22)
just curious kim,
You mentioned in one post that the priest died 3 mos after the incident--but much later, you posted that the priest still checks in with the family, even though you left the chuch 6 mos after the incident.
I'm confused.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
One other thing, Mannpower-you have given this 'story' a lot of your time and your effort. Why does it bother you so?

God Bless1
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-15)
Mannpower,
I guess you told me, right? Obviously you have not had experiences that go beyond your realm of the norm. I have never fabricated a story in my life. I came to this site, have been with this site for years and am a moderator because there are so many open minded individuals on this site. I wish I could include you in that category. I do not appreciatte being called a liar.

It seems to me with the way you write and the words you choose to use, you have some book and school education. Perhaps if that was coupled with some life education, your bitterness and petty behavior may not be so revealing.

I will pray for you,

God Bless!
MannPower (17 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-08)
"MannPower,
For these items being a novelty and this story being so unbelievable, you certainly put a lot of thought in to your response and into reading my story."

Well, of course. People should put thought into extraordinary claims. I don't understand the point of that statement.

This is, after all, a ghost story. However, it does concern me when readers take these to heart and end up causing them actual anxiety. That's when the 'fun' of tale spinning gets unfortunate.

And I think it's fallacious to imply that healthy skepticism is 'close mindedness.' In fact, it's one's willingness to investigate an event or claims without accepting them at face value, or without enough practical evidence, that makes one open-minded.

The ironic truth about many believers is that they are actually the close-minded ones; there is no room for reasonable explanations, only the desired validation of superstition.

I will leave off by saying that I believe this particular story is obviously fabricated, and should only be intended to be entertaining.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-11-08)
wow that's one scary story! That spirit seemed very irritated to say the least. I'm glad everyone is safe hopefully it decided to go away and hasn't bothered anybody since. I'm a little confused was the apartment already haunted before the ouija? If it was then it made things really escalate or was it the ouija board that brought in the evil spirit? We lived in a house that had almost all of the people's posessions when we moved in and their ghosts came with the furniture too! Anyhow great story and I put it in my favorites:)
clover (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-02)
Holy crap! This story is super freaky! I think it would have mentally affected me so much I would be in an institution. I am so, so, so happy to hear your whole family is okay, thankyou for posting your story.
XxReverieOfAnAngelxX (3 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-06-19)
Wow. At least you and your family are safe and unharmed.
Your experience gave me chills just thinking about it, yet alone enduring it.
Where did your cousin purchase that rocker?
Perhaps - in my assumption - something horrifically appalling happened to him in that rocker which clarifies why his spirit is wherever that chair may be.

In a similar incident such as this, I'd stumbled upon a tale from a family - I absolutely love research - where this person had deceased in an ancient bed. This family had purchased the bed from an Antique Auctioning for their son, oblivious that this spirit unequivocally DID NOT want anyone within 4ft. Of it, yet alone sleeping in it, and the spirit became exceedingly infuriated whenever someone did so.

Nevertheless, thanks for posting your story. 😁 I enjoyed reading it, although it was unnerving.
I hope that whoever acquires that house that his spirit still isn't haunting those in his path.
Stay safe and God bless!
Alicia x
SamanthaAlexaRoberts (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-06-17)
hope it never happens to me.

Well staysafe 😊
This is one scary story ❤
One off my faavourites of all this website 😉
ginko (1 stories) (38 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-06-16)
Hmm... I notice some "weird" similarity in your stories, I notice that every story you wrote some one always die? Wah creepy...
ghostlover13 (19 stories) (191 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2008-12-23)
That is one of the scariest stories that I have ever read!
AHHHHH!

😨

This is definatly going into my favorites!

Wait...I thought that you were not supposed to burn an Ouija board?

Stay safe! ❤
illusionation (3 stories) (35 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-10-09)
this is by far one of the scariest stories I have ever read on here...

I can just picture it, jumping to the ceiling from the chair...

EEEEK!

😭
bcps (2 stories) (12 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-10-06)
im ganna be honest not a lot of people believe th board can do that... That's only because they never expericed it I used to play with it on a daily basis about 2 years ago with my friend day and I have been slapped in the shower the bed I slept on violently shook and this one may make you think. My friends mom's boyfriend died in a car crash and we went to where he died and sat in a road off of another road it was about 3 in the morning so there was hardly any cars and we were using it and all of a sudden it wrote get out now! So we were liek ok let's go not 1 second after we got up and moved onto the grass on the side of the road a car came speeding right around the corner exactly where we were sitting it would have never been able to stop... We would have died
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
Resz,
Unfortunately, yes this entire story is true. I don't think I could have made this up had I tried. I wish I had though, then I wouldn't have night mares about this still.

Autumnsmommy,
We think (think being the operative word here) that perhaps what ever entity had entered the hous came with the rocking chair.
Believe me, I ahve certainly had my fill of ouijia boards now and forever.

God Bless!
autumnsmommy (4 stories) (98 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
KimSouth0,

I'm glad everything worked out. Don't quite understand why there was this connection to the rocking chair but glad that it is gone. As for the ouja board I'm glad that it is gone.
resz (3 stories) (10 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-09-23)
This is probably the scariest story I've read on this site. I know it's a dumb question but is this seriously true? I just have to ask. This one will keep me jumpy for a while haha.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: