You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Cat Got Your Tongue?

Real Ghost Stories

Cat Got Your Tongue?

 

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm new to this site, and as my bio on my profile states, I've had plenty of paranormal encounters that I'll eventually share with you all. For now, I'm going to tell you a recent one...

Secondly though, an introduction:

The story takes place in Wombwell, South Yorkshire, where my girlfriend's house is. I was staying from Friday to Monday since her parents were away and wanted me to help mind the house and keep Jess company. The house is old, as is the town itself, and a fun piece of trivia is that if you look at all the old records of it, there isn't a single picture of her street. Not one. It's odd.

As I said, the house is already known for its strange happenings. Her dad has experienced things. For example, he was in bed one night and saw someone walk around the bed and out of the door. He'd assumed it was his wife, Jess's mum, leaving the room, so he asked where she was going. He never got a reply, and then he turned over only to find her lying next to him in bed, fast asleep.

Her mum has had stuff happen too. They had a streak of bad luck where their car window got smashed (but from the smash, it was evident it was broken from the inside) and then the oven door fell down and the glass fell out of that, too. It was at that point they went to a local shop and bought something that you burn in order to cleanse your house. I believe they did it in the new car they bought, and then they hung a dream-catcher in it too.

Now, both myself, Jess and her mum are volunteers at the local cemetery. We're part of a group, and we have access to the grave and crem records. We looked up her house in the database and found out a LOT of people have died in it over the years, right back to the early 1900's. It's possible that one, if not more, of those people are responsible for the blatant hauntings of the house.

ANYWAY, on to the story! Apologies, I thought an introduction was necessary.

Jess has a male cat called Leo, and originally he was never allowed in the house. However, due to a recent injury he obtained, he now comes in to eat his food and often sleep on a blanket on the table in the kitchen, or on the arm of a sofa in the living room. He's much more used to the house now.

As you may know, animals, especially cats, are said to be more sensitive to the paranormal. Many people report their cats following an unseen thing around the room. We'll get to that, let me tell you.

We let Leo in on Sunday evening. I was making dinner for Jess, and as I was frying some bacon, the fire alarm downstairs started going off. I opened the back door to let out the smoke and Jess wafted a towel around. I also opened the door to the stairs slightly in hopes that the smoke would clear faster. That was when Leo went up the stairs, since the noise was probably too much. The fire alarm on the stairs then went off, and I was unaware they had one there, but eventually Jess managed to get it to go off.

I was almost done with dinner when I realised she was still on the stairs ages after the alarm went off, and Leo hadn't come back down either. I figured she was playing with him, but when I went up the stairs I found her passed out at the top. I roused her and helped her down, leaving the door open behind me for Leo. We had dinner and watched some TV. Leo was still upstairs.

He very rarely gets to go upstairs, but he has done it before, and as we expected, we found him in her mum and dad's room, in the dark, relaxed on the double bed. From the hairs on it, he'd been all over the bed and not just in the one place he was lounging. He seemed like he'd been previously occupied. He was very aware but also quite calm, tail happily and evenly thumping down on the bed.

We sat with him a while, and that's when we noticed his behaviour getting more and more strange. He seemed to be following something around that we couldn't see. His ears would twitch like he was hearing things, he'd jerk, and then he'd relax again before repeating the cycle. Jess and I shared worried looks, clearly thinking the same thing. We voiced those thoughts, wondering if he was indeed experiencing the presence of someone other than ourselves.

Suddenly, he jumped off the bed and slunk out of the door onto the small, square bit of landing above the stairs. Jess could see him from where she was sat, but my view was blocked by the open door. He was apparently lying like he usually does, clearly content to be there.

Then, out of the blue, we heard the sound of a clearing throat. From the gruffness, we're assuming it was a man. It was definitely not from next door. It was plain as day, so crystal clear and obvious it was right outside on the landing where Leo was. My hairs stood on end and tears pricked my eyes like they always do whenever I'm scared or anxious. I wanted nothing more than to scream but my own throat tightened, and even though I wanted to run out, my legs locked and anyway, I didn't want to particularly risk running out into whatever it was that was out there.

The house had been so quiet. We were home alone, there was barely any traffic, we weren't talking and we couldn't hear noises from the houses on either side of ours. We knew what we heard, and soon after we followed Leo down the stairs once we'd plucked up the courage.

What do you think? Have you got pets that do this sort of thing? I'd like to know, we both would.

Thank you for reading, and I'll be following up with more stories soon.

Other hauntings by lanapoll96

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lanapoll96, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

lanapoll96 (6 stories) (10 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-16)
Hi AshCat,

I had no idea that's why cats did it! Thank you for the useful info. I've never owned a cat so I've never had reason to look into it, but Leo is always super chilled whenever he thumps his tail, let's you pet him and play with him and he very, very rarely tries to bite or claw you, so I never linked the tail thing to him being irritated. Very useful to know though, thank you so much! X 😊
AshCat (24 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-02-10)
Hi there, thanks for sharing your story! When a cat twitches, thumps, or wags his tail that usually means they are irritated. I have seen unsuspecting people pet a cat and think it was super happy cause the kitty was "wagging his tail" then surprise they got bit LOL. It sounds like that ghost was irritating poor Leo too!
earthangel0410 (10 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-02)
I agree with Silverthorne I would've freaked out that my friend fainted then the noise, I have cats and they can make weird noises. They even snore.
lanapoll96 (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-20)
Silverthorne,

They used to scare me, but I've been with her for almost 2 years so I'm used to them, and I can't afford to get scared when she needs my help, so I'm a lot calmer around it now. Plus I suffer with anxiety so I'm familiar with similar attacks.

The house is really old, and since we both volunteer for the local cemetery group, we have access to the death records. A lot of people have died in the house, as I said in the introduction to this story.

We do get frequent activity in the house, but it's usually when I'm present. We've had high EMF readings, I've had a full conversation with someone who I believed to be Jess only to find out she wasn't even on the same floor of the house as me, I've had vicious scratches appear on my arms whilst I've been sat on her bed and we've been trying to communicate, I've even had something speak through me. The only things she gets on her own are the odd footsteps and the occasional shadow passing in front of her doorway.

It all sounds so unbelievable, and we hate the fact it sounds ludicrous to anyone who doesn't experience it with us. I just wish we could show everyone, because it's terrifying and there's nothing worse than no one believing you.
Silverthorne (6 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-20)
Well that explains the calm reaction lol. I've never been around anyone with fainting spells, I would probably faint myself if I saw it happen to someone else.
Since you were able to rule out the cat and the TV, I can see why you were so scared. Has she experienced things in the house alone, or is it more likely to occur when you're over? Also, any idea about the history of the house and property? Sometimes the past can give answers to present situations.
lanapoll96 (6 stories) (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-20)
Hi everyone. My girlfriend DOES get blackouts, she regularly trembles and then passes out, but I didn't realise that had happened. All I knew was she'd gone on the stairs to turn off the fire alarm, and I got caught up in cooking that I didn't realise how long she'd been. I went to the stairs and found her there. I didn't think anything weird of it, I assumed it was just one of her spells again, but it just seemed like a weird coincidence that it happened as all of the other stuff started happening.

The TV was on mute. We heard the cough later when we followed Leo upstairs and sat with him on the bed. The stairs door was shut, there was nothing else that could have made a noise. No one passed the house because we could have seen them out of the window, and like I said, we were home alone. Jess could SEE Leo, and we both know the sounds he makes, and it wasn't him. It was a distinct male coughing sound. We immediately jumped at looked at each other when it happened, I teared up, my hairs stood on end and I just sat frozen and gaping at her. Literally a few minutes after, Leo went downstairs and I said to Jess, "We'll risk going down after him, then." And then I shut the door after us and said, "Sorry Leo but we're not going back up there."

We ended up taking the back cushions off the sofa to make more room for us to snuggle up and sleep there together instead of braving her bedroom. That's how scared we were.

As for cold spots or weird feelings, we always get cold spots. I don't recall any that evening, but we DO always, always feel eyes on us. In the bathroom, in the bedrooms, the living room, kitchen, and I even sometimes get uncomfortable if we're sat out in her little yard. It's unwelcoming, it feels just...unnatural. It makes my skin crawl because I never feel like we have proper privacy.

Please talk some more, I've always wanted to discuss this with more people.

-Lana xxx
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
Well, to look at the whole picture, maybe the op didn't write each detail about her friend recouperating from passing out because the story was moving along. You know how it's hard to get the details and all. Anyway, just thinking. I had a feril cat that adopted us who behaved like that. Like he was aware of energy, but not seeing it as negative, just keeping an eye out. The cough could be a number of things, but having heared singing out of nowhere, I aint questioning a cough. Sage smudging, and invite the whole ghostly crew to go to the light.
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
I would've been really freaked out too, if I was you. I'm also wondering if your friend is prone to fainting spells? I would suggest you perform a prayer of protection and definitely cleanse your house before the activity gets any worse.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
lanapoll96: yeah, I would like to know why you guys did nothing after your friend fainted.
As for the sound of a man clearing his throat, perhaps Leo was passing a hairball or ate grass while outside and was getting ready to vomit? 😕
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
lanapoll96, Does your friend have regular fainting spells? That would explain why you didn't freak out when you found her at the top of the stairs. And Did you two ever get any feelings, or cold spots in the home during this evening? The clearing of the throat simply could have been the tv.
Silverthorne (6 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
So, you found your friend passed out at the top of the stairs, and then the two of you calmly ate dinner and watched TV? I'll be honest, I would be more frightened by someone passing out than I would be about hearing a noise.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: