You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Rather Intense Childhood

Real Ghost Stories

Rather Intense Childhood

 

This is something that I have been dealing with as long as I can remember, and it feels like for some reason these darker things are coming back into my life. I don't know whether they are following me or have always been attached to me. Either way, I know they are no figment of my imagination and I hardly ever share this story so the attention-seeking thing is not in the intent either. Maybe you could offer me some advice after you read my story?

I guess it mainly started when I moved into the house I grew up in, which was in a rural area in Utah called Spanish Fork. We moved there when I was about three and, yes, I actually do remember it. God has blessed me with a very long term memory.

It's a pretty decent-sized house: four bedrooms, two bathrooms, two floors on a about 1 1/2 acre property. The first thing I remember is that I would hear people talking, like having a conversation. Back then I thought it was my mommy and daddy just being loud, and I would go look and want to play with them too, but they would be dead asleep. I thought that they were telling secrets, so I would get mad when I got back in bed. I would hear it again and get even more mad cause I felt ignored, but mom and dad were still fast asleep when I went to go check. My little brother is three years younger than me, so I knew that the only people who could be talking were my parents, or so I thought.

The night it started going bad was one of the scariest moments of my life. I am the oldest in my family and am very protective over my siblings. I would literally take a bullet for them, every time. This particular night was the first time I saw 'them' or 'it'. I woke up to someone opening my door and I instantly knew it wasn't my parents.

When the dark mass/figure came into the room I felt danger, and knew its intent wasn't good. It went straight to my brothers crib and I know I should have screamed for help, at that age its very natural to do. But I didn't, I'm not sure why, but I actually got off my bed and in some form of a four year old's language I said, "Don't hurt him, hurt me." And that's all I can remember of that night.

Looking back now, I think it makes sense on why these things mainly focused on me. As a toddler, I didn't know I was inviting something in. I just knew that it is my job to keep my baby brother safe.

After that things intensified. Almost every night I was visited by some sort of figure, sometimes many. They would walk around my room, try to pull me out of bed, growl, hiss, say my name, scratch and throw me against the wall. After a few blessings from my father I learned that if I prayed, they could not touch me in bed. It was almost like my bed was a 'safety zone'. Other times I would grab my doll (another thing that oddly I felt protected by) and if it got too intense and I wanted to go sleep in my parents' room they would come swarm around my bed and block my path. Almost every night I would try to scream or flee to my parents' room and sleep on the floor next to my dad. And when I did make it out of bed they, of course, would follow me, or many times even stop me by pushing me down or making the door impossible to move so it wouldn't open. I, then, would try to run back in my bed or call for help.

They were very smart and would try to trick me from getting out of my 'safety zone'. They would appear as children saying, "Come play with us, Christina" or, the scariest thing to me, as my parents. One particular instance I remember of this is when I woke up to see my dad in my room holding out his hand, but he wasn't looking at me. He was looking straight ahead, but his hand was out towards me. I got out of bed, and when I went to touch him I stopped because instantly the thought popped in my head, "No, Christina, don't!" and I was frozen in fear and the imposter starting smiling and the best way I can describe it, began to melt into something big and black. I instantly got back into bed. Honestly, after that, when the sun would go down I was a little scared of my amazingly loving parents cause I didn't know if it was truly them or not.

I think the 'thing' that was the strongest was the man. I only call him a man cause of his voice, which was deep. He spoke a lot and hid in the shadows. He would tell me to do things to hurt my family or myself. When this happened I would pray, which made him angry and growl loud. I only saw what I think was his true form once.

My cousins were over and we were playing hide and seek. Being the oldest I, of course, was the best hider. We had a river behind our house that passed under a bridge under the main road. Under the bridge was a favorite hangout and hiding spot of mine so I decided to

Go and hide there. When I got to the bridge I started to hear the man's voice. This really scared me because I, in my head (I was 8 or 9 at the time), thought that these things could only talk to me at night. I felt them during the day, of course, but the light of the day made it feel safer I think. I heard him talking behind me and he

Said, "Jump!" which I knew to be jump off the bridge. In my head I could see myself jumping and laughing as I fell into the water. I knew though that the bridge was high and the current of the river was very bad that year, so bad that my parents forbade us to wade in it. I out loud said, "No, I don't want to." In reply I heard, "Do it, it's fun, do it now, DO IT!" The last "DO IT" was screamed at me from behind and I turned around. I saw, to my horror, the thing that had tormented me for years night on end. He looked, as best as I can describe, it like a warthog. I could not see his body because he was wearing a light brown cloak, but he had a staff in one of his claw-looking hands. His eyes were something that stuck out the most. One was this electric looking yellow with almost a reddish tinge, the other, a light bright with the bottom half a dark green.

He began to move towards me saying, "Jump now, b*tch!" I was so terrified that I got up on the the bridge and heard him cackle behind me. The next thing I know I hear a siren coming down the road. It was a cop. I turned around and the thing was gone. The cop stopped and told me I was going to hurt myself if I played on the bridge like that and that I should probably go home. I know if it wasn't for the officer I wouldn't be writing this.

Throughout all my experiences my family didn't really have so much on the paranormal side. But I know that certain members of my family felt them. For a long time my mom was in a deep deep depression and her mood was extremely unreliable. My sister would have bouts of rage over absolutely nothing, rage that a child should not have.

My mom and dad, however, are very religious and straightforward in their thinking. I would tell them what I would see and hear and, at first, I think they thought it was just my imagination. But when darker things came into play and I told my mom that sometimes I didn't know if it was them or not, she put me in a psych ward at the age of 14. I don't blame them. They had a child that at such a young age began to harm themselves and want to not live. I would want help for my kid as well.

My mom although says that when she went to clean my room while I was at the hospital she felt a 'darkness' and thought maybe I wasn't as crazy as she thought. We have talked about it since then and I feel more validated.

When I got back from the hospital with a diagnosis of depression I hoped that things were done. They weren't, but I did not want to go back in the hospital so I didn't tell anyone. I kept it to myself. Although many nights, even at the ages of fifteen, sixteen and seventeen, I would go and sleep in my parents room because the things got too intense again.

Finally, before my senior year of high school, my parents decided to move. You would think that I would be happy about leaving that terrible place. Oddly I was not. I was so incredibly angry and hateful towards them when they told me. The week of packing I felt

Like I had no energy. I seriously sat in my closet in my room while people packed. I would have dreams of burning down our orchard, or hurting one of my family members so bad that we wouldn't have to move.

Finally when we did move, slowly I began to get out of that funk. Especially when no nightly visitors came. I never felt anything, nothing bad, no negativity. Just happy environment and love for my family.

I look back and don't know why my old house was so intense or why it happened to me, but to this day I still have experiences. I've been told I'm a 'sensitive' or a medium'. I think that I don't open myself up because I'm a little scared of what I will see or sense. I know that 95% of the time these entities are human but I think because I had this experience, its almost like I'm 'marked'. That's how I feel anyways.

About a month ago I got in touch with an old friend who is into the paranormal and is an investigator. She is one of the few that have heard my story, and we decided to go investigate. I don't know why I've felt the need to do so, maybe for validation or maybe to put it behind me. We did not go into the house because it is occupied. But we did go in the backyard.

After many personal and some documented experiences that night she told me, "How the hell did you survive here?" I would tell you what happened but this is beginning to become a novel.

Ever since that night, things have been trying to creep back in, and I know it's from my old house. I am not one to be scared, I've been through a lot so it made me tough, but I am concerned that they are trying to come back. One person even told me I have a demon attached to me, I don't know if that's true or not. But if it is, I don't know where to turn. Telling people got me in the psych ward before, and now especially since I'm an adult of 25, imagination can't be the natural explain away.

If you have any advice or tips on what I can do that would be amazing. Thanks for reading my story. Like I said, I know it's pretty intense and some may say farfetched. But I know it happened, and I will stick my story until the day I die.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, draculasgal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

heartoftheabyss (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-02)
Hi Draculasgal. I, like everyone else on here, am extremely interested in the paranormal. I happen to live just a little outside of Spanish Fork, UT, just over in Salem. My friends and I have been wanting to do some ghosthunting/paranormal investigation and I was hoping that we could maybe do it at your past home. Thoughts? Thank you so much for sharing this.
Pebbles_Keeper (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-14)
Sorry about the bad diction and random numbers but I am writing this of a small screened smart phone and my fingers are evidently too fat:)
Pebbles_Keeper (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-14)
Hi draculasgal
I know this post is from last year but I had to comment.
My son who is now 21 when in his mid teens would hear whispering and see shadow people in his bedroom and when in the bathroom.
When he mentioned it to his doctor ahe went all out for Paranoid Schizophrenia and referred him to a mental health unit.
She asked him if he had heard voices telling him to harm himselfor his family.
No he hadn't and he is the most down to earth least hysterical person I know. He was just experiencing something Paranormal. Doctors can mis- diagnose when it comes out of their scientific Comfort zone.♥
So sorry you were admitted to a psyc ward.
twelveam (74 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-22)
Hi Draculasgal,

I forgot to add 1 more thing-any research and history found on the house and land would, of course be helpful as well. Thanks!
twelveam (74 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-22)
Hi draculasgal,

I must say, this is one of the most intense and targeted stories I have ever come across! It really sounds to me like there is a strong negative energy trying to attach itself to you and I believe you have a very strong mental character to be able to have prevented it from totally posessing you! Judging by your description of this dark entity, I believe it is a demonic force not of this world. I would like to ask you a couple of questions that would help me to be able to hopefully help you. One is: have you ever been able to talk to the current owners of the house and had them give you any personal experiences they have had there that would support your claims? I know this is looking like this energy has been targeting you, but that would be great to rule out yes or no.

Were you ever able to get your mom or dad to "open up" to you about anything that they may have experienced at the house? That would answer a lot of quetions to this mystery.

While you were away at the institution, did you experience anything at all like you did back at the house? Did anything out of the ordinary happen to you there like visions, voices, noises, physical interactions, or even strange dreams? I am trying to see if this energy is only linked to the property and will only bother you when you are physically there. I know you said you were fine again until the time you went back with your friend the investigator when things started to get wierd again, but establishing its pattern is quite important in coming up with a solid conclusion here.

I do not believe this is poltergeistic in nature because it would be with you wherever you went and this does not seem to be the case. If you could please answer those questions for me that would be great and then we may be able to rule out certain things. In the meantime, I do feel that prayer is your strongest ally and what "spiritwaiting" says has ALWAYS worked well for me, which is envisioning yourself enveloped in a bright white light at all times and having faith in god that he is the white light of protection around you!

Thank you for your story and for reaching out to us for help and validation! God Bless you!
Ludley305 (3 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
Very intense story. The only piece of advice I could give you is to "cleanse" the house and yourself. If all else fails call a priest to bless you, the house and your family. Perhaps try to get a healing stone or something.
Respect,
Ludley
chaywood4 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
sorry me again! Just re-read the end of your message - have you been on a mental health ward? If so, did they give you any medication? Xx
chaywood4 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
p.s. I've seen patients where they can have these experiences in their own home but when in a different environment, they're okay. Once they're treated (by medication), they no longer have these experiences in their own home.
chaywood4 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-21)
Hi Dracula's girl, hope you're okay? I'm from the UK and from a mental health background and not sure if you'd be interested in what i'm about to say, and you don't have to but just something to think about? Have you considered that it may be mental-health related and have you seen a doctor/psychiatrist about this? It sounds like you've had a really difficult time and it's good to rule out any mental health factors xx
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-20)
PS - I suppose I should also mention I did have occasional experiences after I made my decision to cut off the spirit world. But any time I did, I just brutally ignored them and went about my day. They became less and less frequent until they just stopped. Took only about two years for everything to get quiet.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-20)
Wow. What an incredible story. Had me completely on edge. I have had a handful of negative experiences myself, and something I was told when growing up is that evil likes to attack those who are the strongest servants of God. Now that is one of many Christian perspectives but it made me feel a little better to hear after all that I'd been through. Of course, that phrase haunts me now because I don't suffer those troubles, so I question if I've abandoned my service to God. Anyway, that's neither here nor there. The point is you are clearly a very protective and loving daughter and sister. I think this very strong instinct in you to be the protector directly led up to your being targeted, and it all started with that time you were four years old. I found no resolution other than to cut off that world from myself completely. And when I think about it, I'm not entirely sure how I did. One giant scare in my teens and I decided that was it, I was done. I didn't want to see anything anymore and I actively chose to no longer believe in it. Since then, I haven't experienced strange visions or spiritual attacks. A friend of mine, someone who was actually employed as a psychic by the government, informed me that he couldn't "see" me the way he could "see" others. It creeped him out but intrigued him at the same time. I nonchalantly told him it was because I had a wall. He said he knew, because when he tried to get through, he got caught up in flames.

Ok, I'm rambling. I guess really when it comes to these matters, the solution has to be a personal one. I highly recommend conversing with a person of the cloth right away. Honestly, if I lived in your town I'd be offering to find and take you to your local coven to consult a priestess about barricading your soul against these attacks. Imagining a white barrier is a good start. But personally, I say grounding yourself is also a good protection. Close your eyes and imagine a line connecting your tailbone to the center of the earth, then imagine a light coming down from the sky, through your skull, flowing through your body, then out through your toes back up to the sky. Assert yourself to anything evil around you by declaring it is not allowed to be in your presence. Then pray for protection.

I asserted myself 14 years ago and prayed for protection, and I haven't seen or experienced a thing since (other than the occasional dream). It's actually quite aggravating to my friends sensitive to the spirit world, because I'm basically "blind" now. But at least none of it affects me anymore either.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2013-12-20)
[at] Draculasgal, thank you for taking the time out to explain further. And I truly understand the urge to investigate further. For validation etc, but now that your finally out of the specified home I would stay away. I hope that you keep yourself protected. Try this, envision a white light of protection radiating around you, meditate or say your prayers within' this light. It has worked for me many times. Please Draculasgal stay safe.

Sincerely Spiritwaiting
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
There was a story posted on here where the op mentioned a really bad house that a family moved into and said they would cleans with love and hapiness. Aperantly that really worked. You could use some hapiness, so I'm sending joy your way. Next time you feel the negative vibe just tell it "thankyou for sharing, now go away, I choose to be happy." Good spaces.
jmantodd (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
I am in agreeance with Lady-glow and am confused by your story in some parts. My best advice is to pray to God to rid you of these things you believe are tormenting you. Whether it be real or all in your head, He will be the guidance to see you through.
draculasgal (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
Sorry about not explaining some things too well, I was writing this at work so I was trying to rush the best I could.

As for the bridge, I was going to hide under it but while I was crossing it to get to the area I where I always climbed under it the creature/demon called my name.
And the psych ward, my parents took my to a doctor and I told them what I saw and that things told me to do things to hurt myself so she instantly thought I was schizophrenic which is the logical explanation, especially with commanding voices.

As for my parents... As much as I much as I love them, going to them with this kind of thing was very difficult. I think that they tried to explain it away as much as possible. In the religion that we are in, this kind of stuff is never talked about and is taboo. Yes my dad did bless my room quite a lot. Mainly cause I would ask him to, cause I knew that that was something that would hopefully help me. But like I said, I was the only person to really experience things so Intense.
Now however, I've talked to my parents and they agree that there was something in that house. My mom especially doesn't like to talk about but, now that we are out of the house she is more willing to validate things. It makes me think that she did experience things but won't talk about it.
Ya I had bruises and scratches but we lived in the country and had cats so playing outside and playing with the cats probably was there explain away on my marks.
Hahiha (28 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
Dear Draculasgal,
I am not sure if this will help you at the moment, but you should try cleansing your house and yourself just incase. I forget who has the cleansing method so would someone please say.

Over and out,
Hahiha
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
draculasgal, Ok this whole story was terrifying. I've heard that Shadow beings which is what it sounds like to me, can be extremely dangerous. Especially for young children. A brave four year old you were. Shadow beings can change moods of people who are slightly depressed, or angry etc. They feed off of these sorts of emotions. It seems as though it had an agenda with your family, then it attached itself to you, because you said"Dont hurt him, hurt me." You may have unknowingly allowed this to do as it pleases.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
draculasgal: I was biting my fingernails while reading your story, and I had to read it twice because there are few things that I find confusing and a little contradictory, perhaps you could explain them to me.

"...growl, hiss, say my name, scratch and throw me against the wall. After a few blessings from my father I learned that if I prayed, they could not touch me in bed. It was almost like my bed was a 'safety zone'..."
Did your parents try to look for any kind of help other than just 'a few blessings' from your father? After all they had at least 2 small children at the mercy of an unknown force. How did they take the scratches and surely bruises too, on your body?
Did you ever wake up your parents to check on your baby brother whom you left alone in your bedroom during the nights you were able to escape to their room and sleep on the floor? -I wouldn't blame a little 4 yo girl for doing so, but after all you state that you would take a bullet for them.

On the day you were playing hide and seek with your cousins: " Under the bridge was a favorite hangout and hiding spot of mine so I decided to Go and hide there. When I got to the bridge I started to hear the man's voice...Said, "Jump!" which I knew to be jump off the bridge." And then:"I was so terrified that I got up on the the bridge and heard him cackle behind me."
Where were you, exactly, Under OR on the bridge?

And you told your mother about "the darker things" at age 14 and she put you in a psych ward... Just like that? Did she take you to a doctor or a psychiatrist for him/her to asses your health? What did your father say? After all he was aware of the activity happening in your house when you were a little kid and even blessed the house?
I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that it is possible to take a patient for psychiatric treatment without medical referral, these are not the 1800's!🤔

I'm not nit picking your story and feel sorry pointing out at the things I do not understand specially since you are asking for help, but I find some holes in your story that need to be filled up.
Fortunately you are at the right place and I'm sure some of the other posters will have some good advice for you.
Good luck!
Afraidnolonger (5 stories) (21 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-19)
Your story really touched me! I had strange experiences starting at a young age but never that intense until I was around 17 and at that age I really felt like I couldn't turn to any one because they would think I was nuts. I can say I 100% believe what you saw that day by the bridge because a family member had a very similar experience with a demon that looked almost exactly like what you saw... I don't have any other advice other than what helped me. Pray in Jesus name whenever you start to feel a bad presence and rebuke it because God is so much greater than what ever is trying to hinder you. If He is with us, who can be against us? You just have to believe it when you pray and they will leave you. If you ever need some one to talk to please let me know! God Bless you and keep you!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: