You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: A Haunted Mirror?

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunted Mirror?

 

This is my first story. I've never really considered myself a believer in the supernatural...I've just always thought there must be a rational explanation somewhere. However, recently this belief has been challenged because something happened to me that I can't explain and it scared me a lot. This is what happened.

There's this old building where I live, just across the railway. I convinced my cousin to explore it with me; we thought it was all very amusing at the time. There was nothing there really, just rubbish, old machinery, bottles etc. However, I found a mirror, in all but perfect condition, I decided I wanted it... So we took it.

I'm a student of Fine Arts and for a while I'd been interested in painting on different surfaces, especially mirror and glass, but I'd been finding it difficult to source such material at a low cost. So when I found the mirror, I thought it was too good to leave behind.

I cleaned it and removed the frame. That night, I painted a portrait of myself onto the surface of the mirror, in oil paints. I left it to dry on a tarp, on the floor of my bedroom. It was fine when I turned my lights out at about midnight and went to sleep, I remember noticing it and thinking how good it looked. So, I was very shocked and alarmed [and annoyed!] in the morning, when I woke up to find it had large scratches all the way down it. The scratches moved down in a straight line and then pulled up again in a loop as if the instrument had been dragged back up. There was also a section where the scratch marks intersected in a diagonal/diamond-like pattern. There were also small prick marks of paint, as if whatever made the marks had rested on the surface for a moment. I'm sorry I can't explain that any better.

I say "instrument" because the lines were too evenly spaced, clean and fine to have been made with fingers. They were clearly made with something like a fork... But not a regular fork, something more like a small rake because of the number of lines that were grouped together.

I immediately examined my surrounding area, there was no paint smudged anywhere and no signs of anything else having been disturbed.

I checked the ends of all my paintbrushes (though I doubted they'd made the marks) and they were all clean. There were no instruments anywhere that could have made those marks.

I thought perhaps an animal, but my windows and door were shut, and my room is a new extension with no holes anywhere. I doubt even a mouse could have squeezed under the door. Even if it had, there was no fur or paw prints anywhere. And, it would have had to have had arms over 40 cm long to have made the marks in the way they were made.

I thought perhaps it was some kind of abnormality in the surface of the mirror and it had become visible as the paint settled into the surface. But it seemed completely smooth, and the marks extended beyond the painted surface. You could also see where paint had been transferred from one end to the other.

I have no siblings and I only live with my nan and mum. They're very serious people and don't play jokes on anyone. They love my art and would never sneak into my room in the middle of the night to do that to a painting of mine. I know it wasn't them. I also saw their faces when I showed them what happened; they were genuinely shocked. No one in my family did this. I doubt either of them (anyone for that matter) could have navigated their way across the sea of paint tins and jars strewn across my bedroom floor, in the dark, without knocking something over.

I thought maybe I did it myself in my sleep. But, I have no history of sleep walking that I know of... And again, I'm sure I'd have knocked something over. Plus, to find anything remotely matching the marks made I'd have had to go into the kitchen. That would have involved opening three doors, raking through the draws without disturbing anything else, and then returning whatever it was I used, washing it, putting it away and then closing three doors behind myself again... And all without my mum waking up whose bedroom door is always open and only three meters away from the kitchen. I feel like it seems "highly" unlikely I did that. Even if it was manageable, the closest instrument that could be found in the kitchen matching the marks on the painting, would be a fork... But like I said, they don't look like they were made with a fork, there were far too many prongs.

There's something else as well. My tarp was torn. It definitely wasn't torn before. It was a new tarp and I was being careful with it. I would have noticed. I tried to tear it myself to figure out how it had torn. I managed it but it took a lot of strength and effort to tear. There were also the same prick marks around the tear in the tarp as were on the mirror.

So what do you think happened? Is there something really obvious that I'm missing? Or, do you think this was something supernatural?

This happened a few weeks ago. I've since put the mirror in the shed in the backyard, and nothing else has happened. Though, whenever I go into my shed I now feel very scared and I feel like there's a strange feeling there. That might just be a psychological thing though because I'm still so confused and freaked out by the mirror incident.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Nooko, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

M1cr0b1al (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-04)
If I were in your shoes, I would repaint over it an see if there was some sort of repetition. If you have a camera, it may be a good idea to look into a motion sensor to activate and record any movement that you may see.

This could be a very good opportunity to really view what may be occurring.
Nooko (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-15)
Also, I did look into the history of the building. It used to be a room for electricity, for a heritage listed hotel in my area, about 50 meters away from it. It dates back to the 1920's or 30's...whenever electricity was first introduced to the area.

But, someone also lived there... A caretaker, I assume, because there were living quarters upstairs.

I'm not if this is relevant, but as soon as I went upstairs, I had the overwhelming feeling to leave.
Both my cousin and I were fine downstairs, we even joked about how "unscary" it was.
But, as soon as we went upstairs, I just felt...bad.

I thought at the time, it was just me being paranoid because I'd almost fallen through the rusted out steps, climbing up the the top story.
But maybe it was something else making me feel like that.
Nooko (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-15)
Sorry for taking a while to get back to you all. I didn't realise my story had been published yet!

Thank you all for taking the time to read about my predicament.
I still have the mirror, I haven't done anything with it, I haven't even been near it for a while.


[at] user 1965 - Thanks for your suggestion. That's an interesting thought. I might do that and see what happens.

I think I'll definitely clean it as best I can and return it to the house. I guess it wasn't very good of me to just take things from there...

I never thought of it as a "porthole" before... I don't know much about this kind of thing. Excuse me if this seems like a silly question, but do you believe it is possible for a living person to go through a "porthole"? I mean, could they be dangerous in that way?
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-14)
bloodruns,
Where do you get your theory that spirits do not like light and go only in dark places or at night? I'm not discounting your theory, just curious where you might have obtained it. I have seen full body apparitions during the day and at night.

Nooko,
I agree with the others, restore the mirror to it's original state and return it where you got it. It sounds like whatever this is followed you home when you took the mirror, or is attached to the mirror.
HelvaTPB (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-14)
Yeah, mirrors are just dodgy in general. For years I had major body image issues because of what I see in the mirror, but I've had several people tell me that what the mirror shows and what I look like are two completely different things. I'd look into the history of the building and the mirror before tampering with it any further.
User1690 (12 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-27)
Greetings!

Very interesting story, I have a friend who had trouble with a mirror of his, his was a portal elsewhere. I think yours could be too, and your painting was like an obstruction of sorts. When you draw, you leave energies in them based on how you felt about the drawing itself, and how you yourself felt (were you happy? Sad? Angry? - These would be transferred to the drawing/painting) so those marks may have been from someone trying to get into the portal that is your mirror.

It could also be that the previous owner of that mirror has died and was unhappy you took their mirror and basically defaced it. I reccomend you do some investigating. Goto the shed with a video cam and a voice recorder (Yes, both), do this with minimal light, just enough so you can see yourself, the mirror and the cam and voice recorder. Start recording and wait about a minute, now ask out aloud if there is anyone there and if so, are they happy with your art on the mirror? Wait about another minute. How do you feel at this point? (Any feelings you get may be the response to your question, so an angry feeling may mean No, whereas a happy/warm feeling may mean yes). Based on the response/feeling you get, ask more questions and try to find out why your art has been ruined in the way you describe. When your done, get the video off the cam and voice recorder and onto your PC. Watch the video first and pay attention, see anything strange? Hear anything odd that your ears missed? Same for the voice recorder, any strange voices/responses? (Known as an EVP - Electronic Voice Phenomena) It may be that you have to return the mirror to its original location, and as you found it too.

-Good luck if you decide to do some investigating!:)
bloodruns (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-26)
P.S set a video camera on it for a couple of nights and just see what you get, low light or night vision, spirits do not like the light as they are made of energy and it seems to lower their ability, hence forth you mostly see them at night or in dark places.
bloodruns (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-26)
Check the tempature around the mirror, if it is a lot colder then the surroundings then it is possibele the mirror is a portal for a spirit of some type and pehaps it is trying to leave a message for you.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-26)
Honestly, I would try to restore the mirror to the state you found it in, then return it to its original location.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: