You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghosts At One Of My Workplaces

Real Ghost Stories

Ghosts At One Of My Workplaces

 

I am new to this place, have read a lot of stories, but this time is the first time I myself publish something. (Please note: I am from Sweden, and my grammar and choice of words can perhaps be a bit... You know... Outlandishly funny/strange.)

Anyway, I work as a mental health carer in various psychiatric homes. Our clients have since the psychiatric reformation in the late 80's in Sweden, moved out of the mental institutions to smaller houses with their own apartments and common rooms, i.e., dinner room, TV rooms, etc.

I mainly work with clients that have quite severe diseases and delusions like schizophrenia, antisocial behaviour, schizoaffective disorder, etc.

I also work in different places. In the town I live in (which I can't give away for my clients' reason, but it is located near the coast, in the west of Sweden, and it's quite big) we have... I think it's 7 or 8 different homes. I currently work in 3 of them.

The homes are mainly located in old buildings. The psychiatric care in Sweden have always been the stepchild of the various care areas. I personally think that's why the buildings often aren't the newest. (I just have to say, though, it is a work in progress. One of the homes I work in was built last year, and it's super nice and very modern and the caretaker, as well as the staff, love it!)

Anyhow, I have mostly worked in one of the buildings set in a rough area (we sure have those here unfortunately, with shooting and assault and all...) and it is located inside an apartment complex. I started working there 3 years ago, which will be 2010.

First year nothing. I worked days and evenings. There was, though, a feeling of... I don't know, uneasiness? In the basement where our office and food supplies, as well as a sofa to rest on, are located. It came after half a year or so since I started working there. I am not squeamish. If that's what you are, my job isn't for you! Our clients CAN be dangerous and scream and say quite appalling stuff, and threaten you and you have to stand with both your feet firmly on the ground.

So the uneasiness in the office kind of took me by surprise. It was like... Always when you opened the door and came in, someone hastily moved into the room where the supplies and "resting-sofa" were. Like, if someone had been standing in the corridor and quickly backed into the sofa room. (When you open there is just a corridor, with shelves on the sides. The sofa room is located on the right side, in the end of the corridor, which isn't so long, but still a corridor.) But I never said something to anyone because nothing kind of happened except... Sometimes you could also hear something's withdrawal into the room. But as I said, you got to just do what you do, fetching more rubber gloves, band aids, apples, or whatever.

Then 2011 I started working nights. I don't recall (and that's a shame personally, because I have actually forgotten) who first said something. I think it was the second night or third night I started my night shifts. We were up in the common TV room, and just out of the blue, the person I was working with asked, "Do you believe in ghosts?"

"Well, I am a bit interested, but... How come you ask?" I asked. "We have them here... For sure" she said (because this year only women worked nights with me THAT I recall). I asked a bit about what people believed they saw, or heard, and got the explanation that there was a lot going on in the kitchen, right behind our backs. Sounds of bangings inside the walls, scratchings, things moved around, etc. Apparently the coffemaker turned itself on and off, pots and pans fell to the floor. This kind of surprised me because I had never heard anything, not myself, and I have not heard anyone else talking about it. We spoke for a short while, but nothing happened more than your interest coming to life.

A short while later, me and my newfound favourite night worker had the weekend night shift. She ALSO started talking about ghosts. I shared my experience downstairs in the basement and she said, "I know who that is!" I knew that a daytime carer died of cancer approximately 5 months after I started working there (very tragic, she wasn't very old) and apparently she used to sleep on the sofa in the basement when she worked evening with day shift the day after, due to her long way home! My co-worker believed that was the explanation for my feelings downstairs. And to this day, I still feel them sometimes but now when I "might know who it is" I don't feel so uneasy.

Then, the second night (Saturday night) the little lady that lived in the room next to the nurses' office (located upstairs) was walking in the corridors. We sat in the TV room (upstairs as well) and there is a small open doorway in that room, and I saw her passing by it. "Shiat," I thought to myself. "Now we're in for a ride." (This lady, if allowed up all night, will be very much to handle.) "I'll take Mrs. S." I said to my co-worker. "She's up?" she asked. "Yeah, she just passed by!" and I went out the open doorway. To see nothing. Barely night lighted black corridor, with no one there. NO ONE! I even went in Mrs. S's apartment. She was actually fast asleep!

This scared me AND my co-worker. She started telling me that there was so many tales about this home, and that people that spoke about the hauntings in the kitchen (actually made it up). The real thing is this little lady walking around in the corridors and one thing more..."Don't say it" I said. "The dinner room, right?"

That was correct. I had noticed under this short while that I always was assigned to clean the dinner room. The night shift workers always wanted to clean the office instead and believe me, the office is more stuff to clean!

After this night I started noticing that someone stood behind my back when I mopped the floors in the dinner room. Before I had barely noticed it, thinking it was one of the clients, although no one was there when I looked back, but after the thing passing the doorway I also felt a bit more scared mopping and cleaning in the dinner room. (This might, however, be a "thing of the mind" since she verified my thoughts around the dinner room.)

Now few more months passed, and I saw this thing walk past the open door at least three times more. It actually made night shift work both interesting and scary. When you see something dark actually moving just in front of an open door right in front of you when you are watching TV, and you go look and no one's there... In the middle of the night... I tell you... That's a...special feeling. I guess it's still there, but I don't work nights no more.

The last thing with the corridor thing. I always got the sense of a lady and that it was short. That's why I always thought it was little Mrs. S.

So one night, me and this fav co-worker of mine had this very special lady with us. She is one of our clients, and one that I like working with since she can have clear moments when she is actually funny and very witty. She suffers from delusional schizophrenia, and one of her major things is her interest in the paranormal. Now, we aren't talking about "normal" interest, but rather very obsessive behaviour with angels, demons, ghosts, alien abductions. This is quite common with the disease. And again, very... Different from normal interest.

We sat this night (she could not sleep) and talked in front of the TV. The show on was something ordinary like Ellen or so. Just like that, I saw the thing pass the open door! AND I SAW HER SEE IT, TOO!

In a voice far from her manic voice she said, "There's that little old lady again." I kind of froze for a second. As I can't go in to my clients delusions or behaviour, I HAD to kindly say that I did not know what she was talking about, and I started to discuss the show on TV and just make things normal as I am supposed to.

She was not as upset and "over the top" when she said this as she used to be, and it's quite out of the ordinary that I saw her follow it with her eyes and that she, just like me, feels that this is a little woman.

Later I have found out that this particular home was an elderly people's home. Many died in the apartments, from pneumonia and age. The home is now in planning to move, since it is old and worn out.

I actually think it is a good idea. Not just only for the area, which has so much problems. I think we have a little more people in there, especially at night, that we can't handle, nor care for...

Vigilant

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Vigilant, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Danzz017 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-23)
I live in a haunted house with my friends as a paying-guest and we all had this pass away kind of experience, we still live in this house and now we are usual with this kind of things. 😊
Vigilant (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-31)
Seraphia- I think I am... Even more interested now than before, but to be honest this was not the really first time something spooky has happened, (but surely the first confirmed, that we also saw with our own eyes!) so I already had the "ghost-interest", but the level surely has rised.
I still get afraid if I should see something, but for example- I am more comfortable with the sofa-roomthing, now when I think its our dead co-worker down there...
/V
Vigilant (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-31)
Unexplained- Hmm. How did I see her...like...like if someone moves very fast in front of an open door. No real details, or clean colours- it wasn't like "she had brown hair and a red shirt"-kinda thing, more like if you sit and read, and someone moves very quickly across an open door. So I guess more on the peripheral side.
/V
Vigilant (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-31)
Troyarn- thank you so very much, we try our hardest to make everyday life a good life! (and thank you for your kind words regarding my english!) The move will be starting next autumn, and we look forward to it!
In retrospect I kind of think that I should have validated
The ghostsightings more, when the clients saw them... But I have to follow the rules...
/V
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-30)
Vigilant, how do you feel about these experiences? Are you more comfortable with seeing a spirit now, or less comfortable?
Unexplained (2 stories) (122 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-30)
That was a great retelling of your experiences, 'Vigilant'. Just one thing! When you saw the little lady, could you look at her directly and see her or was she always in your peripheral vision?

U.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-29)
Very good story Vigilant, and very good English. I had a friend who did your type of work so know that it's much harder than others can imagine. It takes professionalism, kindness, sternness, and sometimes all the humanity one can muster.

Add in the fact that you have ghosts in your workplace and I can imagine it was quite a hectic scene.

Thanks very much for sharing this and I hope the move goes well and that there are less events to deal with.
Vigilant (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-28)
BadJuuJuu- Oh thank you for your kind words <3
I like my job a lot- but sometimes, like the thing you mentioned- NOT being able to verify that I too saw this ghost... That was hard. Hard- because I lied- and me and my fav-coworker discussed that as well, the fact that-"Ok, when are the ghosttalk paranoia, and when is it for real?". I also hope the move goes smoothly, but it won't happen until next autumn, and I will work there all summer. Not night though...;)
/V
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-28)
Tough job, and you're a tough individual to do it. Much respect to you. ❤
I agree that its a good thing the care facility is being moved. Between safety issues caused by living degenerates and the paranormal drama, it will be better for everyone. I can't even imagine what it must be like to have to act like nothing happened, when you know darn well it did. I can't imagine how much more difficult it is for the residents to distinguish reality from illness with ghosts walking around. I hope the move goes smoothly, and that the new facility is free of paranormal activity. Best wishes to you all.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: