You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Mind Your Ps And Qs

Real Ghost Stories

Mind Your Ps And Qs

 

I've moved around a lot in my life, but a few years ago my husband and I moved to a new state and made the decision to buy our first house. Like most of the houses in the area the one we were looking at was fairly old, but had seen some renovations since originally being built. During our tour of the house we discovered that one of these renovations included expanding the house by adding on an entire new section to the back of the house.

Though the house had its issues (it needed a lot of refurbishing) we fell in love with it almost immediately and were able to move as soon as the paperwork was taken care of. Over the years we've lived here we would often hear random noises and sounds, but for the most part we had just chalked it up an old house making noise. However, last year that changed when I started being awoken at night by what sounded like footsteps in the back portion of the house, specifically the computer room (which has a wooden floor, so any steps on it are pretty audible). I'd hear the footsteps move across the room and come to a stop right outside of my bedroom door, followed by complete silence. Whoever or whatever it was, I always got the feeling that it was just... Standing there on the other side of the door.

This only ever occurred in the middle of the night, and though whatever it was never really felt malicious it did make me feel uneasy when it happened and always ended up making it difficult to get back to sleep afterwards. After a while of this going on I went into the room where I always heard the footsteps and said aloud (to whoever might happen to be listening) that so long as they didn't mean us any harm I didn't mind them staying here, but very politely asked if they could try to be a bit more quiet at night because they were making it difficult to sleep. I thanked them and then continued on with my day, and I haven't heard any footsteps since then. I guess sometimes all it takes is asking nicely!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CrossroadsDog, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-04)
That was very kind of them to heed your request. I wonder what would happen if you left the computer on with minesweeper or something simple available for entertainment. Perhaps they were just bored and poking around a bit, then they felt bad for waking you up. You could leave detailed instructions on how to use a computer, or even just speak aloud to the room. Who knows, maybe a bored spirit could find a quieter pasttime!
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-28)
Verry cool story. Love it when people share about being polite. And Miacles, I love that line, be nice until its time... To not be nice.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-28)
CrossroadsDog - I really enjoyed your story. I think one of the things I enjoyed the most is how you reacted to the activity in your home. You didn't freak out or overreact. You also didn't go all hostile on them and treat them like crap, which really irritates me 😠

And you're right, sometimes all it takes is treating them nicely. "...be nice... Until it's time... To not be nice." (Line from one of my favorite movies 😉)

As ngute said, I am also glad they respected your wishes. Thank you for sharing this with us 😊
ngute801 (6 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-28)
Your story reminded me of the house I grew up in. Thr same thing happened to us. We just assumed it was a former tenant since our house was also old (original stained glass in some windows and bedroom doors 😉). I'm glad whoever it was respected your wishes and has been quiet. Thanks for sharing. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: