You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Strange Things Happen In My Mom's Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Things Happen In My Mom's Apartment

 

I'm going to go ahead and say I have never actually seen a spirit (as far as I can remember) aside from orbs in photographs and on videos. This story is just a series of random events that my mother and I have experienced in her apartment.

At one point, I played with a Ouija board in my room, freaked out when the planchette moved by itself, and just stopped playing. I was too freaked out to say goodbye, so my pagan friend told me I may have opened a gate or whatever and that may explain this stuff. These things all happened shortly after my father died too, so that's a possible theory as well. Another is that someone told me the apartments my mom lives in (that I used to live in as well) were built on what used to be a prison. No matter why these things happened, they did.

I don't remember this part as I was just a child, but my mother has told me countless times about one time when I was a toddler, just able to walk, she heard me babbling to someone, in my "baby talk" as she calls it, in the living room. She came out of the kitchen to find that I had somehow managed to open the front entrance door and I was sitting on the floor in front of the doorway, looking up at someone and talking to them, giggling and smiling. When she looked out to see who I was talking to, no one was there. Unnerved by it, she closed and locked the door. If anything else happened after that, I don't remember anything aside from things disappearing and reappearing, but that could just be forgetfulness. Everything else happened more recently, mostly within the last three or four years.

Now, I like to listen to something at night while I sleep. It makes it easier for me to relax. At my mom's apartment, I had my own person stereo which I listened to my iPod through at night. Perhaps my stereo was just possessed, but I remember waking up one night to find that the volume on my stereo was muting and unmuting by itself. The remote was on my night stand, so there was no way I could have rolled over on it. Plus when it muted and I tried to unmute it on the remote, it didn't work.

Another time, around 6 AM, I was laying awake in my bed, trying to fall back to sleep, and just as I was dozing off, the volume on my stereo began to steadily turn up louder and louder by itself until it got so loud I had to turn it off because it was hurting my ears. Once again, the remote was on my night stand.

Another night, around 5 AM, I was laying awake in my bed, just dozing off again, and I suddenly heard a loud sound like something falling. There had been no vibration or anything, so I got up to investigate and found that my little square mirror that I used for doing my eyeliner and stuff was lying face up on the floor. I remember because I've never liked looking at my reflection in the dark. It just creeps me out.

Since I've moved out, my mom has told me stories of picture frames falling in the dead of night as well. I can also recall one time one of my musical toys went off by itself when I was younger.

That's pretty much all I remember that's happened to me, but my mother has told me her own stories as well. She told me that one night while I was out with my boyfriend at the time, she was trying to sleep and she heard a sound like someone opening and closing the refrigerator. Once she swore she heard me calling to her from my room, but I hadn't called her. Another night, also around 5 AM, she awoke to a very frightening feeling of someone standing next to her bed and staring down at her. She said a prayer to God and forced herself to go back to sleep. When she woke up again later, all was fine. She has also told me many times about seeing shadows coming out of my room during nighttime bathroom trips, but I have never experienced that, which is probably best.

My mother has always been sensitive to the paranormal since childhood. I may post some of her personal stories in the future.

I've since moved out of my mother's apartment, but I still go back and spend the night on occasion. I haven't experienced anything else during my visits, but sometimes she tells me things that she experiences while I'm away. Nothing major, and neither of us have been harmed, just scared, so I guess everything is okay.

Other hauntings by RavenAngelvX

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RavenAngelvX, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

RavenAngelvX (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-15)
I tried to check on the prison theory, but I couldn't really find anything on any search engines. Of course, I'm lazy when it comes to research. There is a different apartment complex that apparently was a prison too, so the person who said that may have gotten them mixed up. My father actually wasn't a big part of my life -- not for the reason you may think -- until I was 15. He died when I was 17, but my mom did tell me that he once told her that when he dies, if there was any way, he would come back and tell her what life is like after death. He really wasn't a fan of my music though, haha. An Ouija Board is a game created by Hasbro, I think. It's used to talk to spirits through yes, no, letters, and numbers that are written on the board. You and a friend place your pointer fingers on the planchette or pointer and ask questions such as "is anyone there?", wait, and if the pointer moves to yes, continue to ask questions. If no one replies, keep asking. You should always say goodbye before ending the session, and NEVER mock the spirits. Don't ever play alone either; apparently you can get possessed. Either way, Ouija is NOT a game, and honestly, I recommend you stay away from it. I have not played since that day. I will tell my mother the suggestions I have received here for blessings and all that. Perhaps they will help her. Thanks to everyone for your polite comments and helpful suggestions. 😊
AARisTHEbest (3 stories) (56 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-03)
An ouiji board is what val said but I advise you not to use one anyways
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-03)
RavenAngelvX, how rude of me to comment on a comment without remarking on your account! Terribly sorry. First, welcome to YGS. Like lady-glow, I too wonder if the prison theory is true.
I'm sorry about the loss of your father. Since everything occurred after his passing, there does appear to be a circumstantial connection, but I would think that your mother or yourself would 'sense' that it was him. Since the volume on your stereo seemed the focus, was he always telling you to turn it down, or maybe even off?
Of course there is the possibility of there being more than one energy at work here, how ever they don't appear to be malevolent. If it bothers your Mom, I'd suggest a cleansing and having the place blessed.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-03)
ghostrider123, can you elaborate on your question? I get the feeling you mean something a bit different other than a definition of what a Ouija board is. You might also be more familiar with the term Spirit board. Basically they are the same thing -
A board printed with letters, numbers, and other signs, to which a planchette or movable indicator points, supposedly in answer to questions from people.
HoppingCorpse (2 stories) (42 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-01-03)
Ghostrider123
Sorry to sound like an ass, but it looks like you have internet, soo, Google it?
ghostrider123 (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-03)
Please answer: What EXACTLY is an Ouija Board?
I've been searching on it for months but I couldn't really find out what is it...
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-31)
Have you checked if the "prison" theory is true?
Playing with the OB is never a good idea if you do not do it properly, I'm not sure if your short session would be enough to open a portal since you didn't engage talking to anything, but PLEASE do not try it again.
Has your mother ever tried to do a cleansing or blessing of her house?
Cooldude6919 (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-30)
Wow that's a good story also very scary I wonder what is haunting your
Moms home

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: