You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A 40-year Haunting And An Attack

Real Ghost Stories

A 40-year Haunting And An Attack

 

In the comments of a previous story that I posted about an entity bothering me while on a religious retreat, several readers voiced their concern that I was involved in a cult and that this "thing" may be trying to warn me. While I don't know quite what to make of the group, I believe that this entity has either been attached to me or has been following me for quite some time.

I've delayed posting about this and I wish I could forget it ever happened. It's something I really hate thinking about and scares me to this day. But since I've alluded to it in two other stories, I figured I might as well. When I was about ten or eleven years old, I was attacked by an entity at my grandparents' house.

To give you a little background into this, let me begin with the fact that my grandfather was sensitive to the paranormal. The house that they lived in prior to this one had some strange goings-on happening for all the time they lived there. My dad has told me of many of these things, which is why I'm confused as to why he denies the existence of the paranormal now. According to him, things that were perfectly safe sitting on shelves would suddenly fall and sometimes levitate before hitting the floor, two different dogs barked at nothing in the same spot in the basement, and once when he was home alone and sitting on the porch, he heard an explosive sneeze from inside the house. As with my parents' house, my grandparents built the place and were the first ones to live there. They lived in a city neighborhood and were nowhere near being isolated.

They moved to the house where I experienced the entity in the late 1970s. Again, they built this house, so no previous occupants. This was in a subdivision just outside of a small town. My grandfather had often told me of his encounters with the paranormal in this house and elsewhere, but strangely never mentioned anything about the previous house. He had seen a poltergeist which he assumed to be attached to a friend of his, because he had seen it around them in different places. In the house in question, he had seen the doppelgangers of both my grandmother and myself. With mine he said he had turned on the light and found the figure had dissolved to the image of a featureless head floating at the foot of the bed and then go out the door and disappear. He described the little girl as being about my age at the time (four or five), with a pleated plaid skirt, sweater, and braids. He had given a fairly accurate description of my school uniform.

I should probably mention that this house was creepy to begin with. It was very dark, filled with heavy old furniture and a collection of no less than fourteen clocks. Every hour on the hour, half hour, and once every fifteen minutes they would chime, echoing through the relatively small house. In addition to this, my grandmother had decided to place a cradle full of antique dolls in my bedroom (as the only grandchild I had my own bedroom there), along with a bunch of other old toys. The night of my encounter, I noticed a new addition to the collection--an indescribably weird-looking and disturbing stuffed animal.

Over the years as I became more aware of my surroundings and found it harder and harder to sleep in this room. Not only were my surroundings creepy, but I am a light sleeper and all the clocks usually woke me up every hour.

To actually get to the encounter, I went to bed late that night. We'd been having a barbecue in the backyard and had stayed out until it got dark. I fell asleep for a few hours but woke up very suddenly at the one o'clock chimes, facing the wall with the feeling that if I turned around and faced the doorway I would die of fright.

For the next three hours I willed myself not to sleep so I wouldn't accidentally turn while sleeping, staring at the wall and listening to the chimes as the hours went by. Those few hours remain to this day some of the most terrifying I have ever spent. This went on for just over three hours. I sensed something advancing towards my bed from the doorway very slowly, as if it moved only a few times an hour. Finally, just after four in the morning, something made contact with my shoulder. It didn't feel like a hand, just a pressure. I can only describe the feeling that radiated from this thing as a sort of cold electric shock that went all through my body. It didn't stop. I remained frozen for I don't know how long.

I was only able to move again after I heard someone come out of another bedroom, and called for help. My dad came into the room and had to drag me out. I was too weak to walk on my own and on the way out tripped over the leg of an armchair. He dragged me into the bathroom and I saw myself in the mirror. I was pale and drenched with sweat and had two black eyes. He chalked it up to me not having slept well (I didn't tell him what happened) and he assumed that I had overheated in my sleep, it being a hot night in August. But these were much darker than your standard sleep deprivation circles under the eyes. I looked like I had gotten punched in the face, and it took a few days for them to fade entirely. When I got undressed to take a shower, I noticed a large bruise on my side and scratches on my back and upper arms, the scars from which have never faded. I don't have a history of thrashing or walking in my sleep, so I can't think of any logical way this might have happened.

I never entered that room again and took to sleeping on the living room couch whenever we stayed over. This led to numerous questions, but I always managed to avoid telling anyone what happened. It continued for over a decade until my grandparents passed away. I went back a few times with my parents to clean out the house, and always felt a presence and never wanted to stay there for long. The last time I was there was about a year and a half ago, and the presence was still there. I lost touch with my parents shortly after, and don't know whether or not the house has been sold.

I wonder if this entity may have attached itself to me and is the thing that has recently resurfaced (from my other story) but has not been bothering me lately. Hopefully it stays that way.

I also wonder if it could have been something attached to the creepy stuffed toy. I was unnerved by the other stuff in the room before, but never overtly terrified.

I would appreciate any insight and am sorry for the length. I feel like if I wrote this in two parts I would never be able to bring myself to write it all.

Other hauntings by SanguineConscripte

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SanguineConscripte, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
8 years ago (2016-10-02)
saralee - as lady-glow has said, contact the site administrator. Sharing someone's story, without their permission, is plagiarism which is something we are strongly against.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-10-02)
Saralee: I advice you to contact the owner of the site before sharing any of the stories to other site and, of course, wait for the approval of the OP.
saralee (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-02)
i hope you don't mind if I post this story (Paranormal: True strorys 😁
infiltrating_sun (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-07)
Well, interesting story and situation thanks for sharing it with us. I believe that you weren't "attacked," at all, but I can see why you would think that you were.

Since you described feeling this spirit touch only your shoulder, getting a black eye from that would be tough to accomplish. I imagine this person was assaulted close to him/her's death, and the events in your story tell me that an investigation into this death was never resolved.

In this case your injuries probably resembled the injuries whoever it was sustained in said attack. My belief in this is further strengthened because you said some of the injuries (scratches) have never healed.

In most cases scratch marks of that variety heal very quickly with even seemingly deep scratches healing completely in a matter of hours. I am almost certain this spirit for whatever reason has charged you to do something or told you something in its own way about this attack and expects you to do something about it. This is easier said than done I know mostly because what a spirit may try to tell us and what comes across may not be the easiest to interpret. However, if you do manage to find out what it wanted help with and manage to provide it that help I'm almost positive those marks on your back will disappear.
SanguineConscripte (3 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-01)
The house my experience happened in was built in the 70s. I was only told about the other hauntings. This "thing" has been around my family for about 40 years. My experience with it happened in the early 2000s, when they'd lived in the same house for about 20 years already.

Sorry if that was a little unclear.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-01)
SanguineConscripte - I'll admit when I read your Roger Williams story, I thought you were in your 20s. Now I'm not so sure that's the case, since the title of this story is "A 40-year Haunting" and you state you experienced the entity in the late 70s 😕

Nevertheless, you have given us more information which could be pertinent to your "hauntings". I'm going to have to reread your stories now, with this in mind.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: