You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Guardian Angel In 1965

Real Ghost Stories

Guardian Angel In 1965

 

This is a story that my mother told me about a paranormal experience she had when she was a child. My mom and I are very close, so she's opened up to me about many painful secrets of the abuse she endured in her childhood. Her environment was very dangerous during her early years... And I always believed her survival was due to a guardian spirit, or angel, protecting her. The story she told me confirmed this to be true! She was a smart little kid, but of course there is only so much a child can do... And in the moments when she was vulnerable, something beyond her definitely stepped in to protect her.

My mom grew up in Chicago in the 1960's. Her mom, my grandmother, was a nightmare of a person. She was a sociopath and an alcoholic. She didn't have empathy or compassion to begin with, and then she was even more bitter from the alcohol because she hated her life. She was a wealthy, well-educated woman who appeared very put together... But hardly anyone knew how how much of a dysfunctional mess she really was. She would do the minimum as a mother, like making dinner, but as far as any emotional attention or affection toward her kids... She gave nothing. So that was what caused my mom, who was probably five or six at the time, to wander around Chicago alone. No joke... A six year old wandering around CHICAGO all by herself!

During the summer my mom started realizing that she wasn't getting very much attention during the day. She would be given lunch, and she then was left to fend for herself all afternoon while her mom drank. So at some point she started wandering away, looking for any place to be besides that house. My grandmother was probably too drunk to even notice (and even if she did notice she wouldn't have really cared). The only rule was to be home for dinner, treating my mom as if she was sixteen instead of six. Eventually this led to my mom being way out of the neighborhood and near a busy intersection. She was planning to cross the street and go even further. That's when I believe her guardian stepped in.

She described it as she was walking down the sidewalk thinking about crossing the street... When all the of the sudden she saw a "big kid", probably ten or eleven years old, walking by her side. He asked her where she was going and she told him, "The other side of that road." He then explained to her that it was very dangerous and that she needed to walk with him (it's interesting that he never told her to go home!) So he helped her get across the road. When they got to the other side, she looked around and realized he was gone in about one second. The only thing behind them, on that side, was a field. She didn't seem him run into the field, or go back across the street. She was looking for him but after that day she said she never saw him again, as if he was only meant to be there for that one day.

I wonder if my mom would have even made it across without his help? I probably owe my life and the fact that my mother ever managed to grow up, to this mysterious helper!

Other hauntings by Frances23

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Frances23, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

modz27 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-12)
Angels exist. Children sees them the most because children do not care about too much practical and rational thinking. Most children are very open-minded and welcomes such unlike adults whose rationality blocks their mind on such reality.
ad_victoriam (2 stories) (6 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-11)
I was going to submit my story when I come across your story, Frances23. And since my story and yours are related in some way, about angels saving lives, and I cannot submit my story because it's temporarily closed, I think this is the best place to post my story. And hopefully, it will serve as inspiration.

It's summer and our family reunion was on to a beautiful place called "Yapak" or "Footprint" in english. In a folklore story, these were the footprints of the giant who fell in love with Maria Makiling. Huge rocks are everywhere, crystal clear river running rapidly, and cottages. Since it's summer, there's a multiple of people grouped and having fun.

My brother and I were playing in a small pond. There's a number of small ponds around, hence, the name "Yapak". The ball we're playing with were thrown a little over above my reach and was landed on the water. I started to inch my way for the ball when, to my horror, I sunk! My brother was following me. And I heard him laughing and saying "Stop fooling me and get the ball." He, too, sunk. We don't know how to swim at that age. Can't remember how old we were at that time. I'm struggling to carry him and get him on my back to give him extra height so someone can see him splashing and hear him shouting. But I feel no one seem to mind us because they, maybe, thought we were just playing. I'm starting to lose hope, and breath, when suddenly he was lifted from my back and a hand reached for me and grabbed my arm. I was under the water and cannot be seen from above. We were on a lifebouy (an interior of a truck wheel) and were transported to the side of the river. The "man" who saved us just walked away from us without even waiting for our "Thank you." He went to the far side of the river were there's no crowd at all, in fact, there's no activity there just, to my vivid memory, a solemn place. He mounted his lifebouy and was gone. I now perfectly remember that he's riding against the flow of the river. My brother also remembers the same.

To this day, my brother and I, still tell this story to our children. We're telling them that we owe our lives to that "man", and their lives, too, and the generations that will follow them. An angel? Yes, I believe so.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-10)
I believe this story. I have someone in my family who, when I was a child, told me about her alcoholic and abusive father. She said that she made friends with an angel who at first nearly scared her to death. A female-seeming angel in a red dress. Then later in life, when she was biking home from school, she was about to cross the highway (which is a country road, so it was a shortcut home to cut across, but in the olden days people drove >50mph and some of us still do...) when at the very last second she saw a truck out of the corner of her eye. Instead of dipping down along the hills as she usually did on her bike, it suddenly went into the air in an arc, almost as though she were floating. She said she saw the person in the truck with wide eyes. She landed safely on the other side without being struck by the vehicle, and her bike stopped. She insisted that a guardian angel protected her, and I think it did. Now, there are some people in my family who were raised by alcoholic parents (alcoholism runs in my family) who basically went nutty and I sometimes wonder where their angels were. But maybe they saw "paranormal things" and it just made them crazier because they lived in denial. I'm not sure. In any case, I think your mom was very lucky and you should consider yourself lucky as well. Both of you may even be blessed. I hope your grandmother found some sort of personal completion. This life is hard for certain people more than others. Blessed be, chickadee. ❤
Caralotte (3 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-09)
I believe he was definately a Gaurdian Angel. Maybe he knew she would be hit and not live and knew that she was supposed to live a long life, so he helped her across the street. I believe there are Angels amoung us, every day, every where.
AnneChloeV (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-09)
This was a great story 😁 😊
Sometimes Angel's use other faces to save people <3

~AnneChloeV
PoliexterLy (2 stories) (92 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-07)
This was a nice story. He was probably there looking out for your mother. I bet he was with your mother the whole time even though she couldn't see him
ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-01-07)
Perhaps he was God himself come to earth to help your mom. You know God appears to innocent children at times. Sometimes you may have noticed that small children sometimes too small to even understand their surroundings like newborn babies or toddlers make rapid eye and lip movements in their sleep. Well I was told by a priest that they seem to be communicating through their sub-conscious mind with God himself.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: