You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Strange, Short Story

Real Ghost Stories

A Strange, Short Story

 

While I have always had an interest in the paranormal, I have never seen anything that convinced me that ghosts and spirits are real. And quite honestly, even after what happened early this morning, I'm still not convinced. However, what happened was "odd", and it may be paranormal, or it may not be. I'll leave that to you to decide.

Some background: my 70 year old father passed away in Florida earlier this month after several years of illness (cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc.) He passed away in hospice at the local hospital and was subsequently cremated. I came down to Florida to help with his affairs and to assist my mother with ongoing responsibilities. While my mother slept in one bedroom, I slept in my Dad's old bedroom which had been largely cleaned of his things (although some of his belongings are still here).

On the last day of my stay in Florida, I woke up very early in the morning after the alarm clock on my cell phone awoke me (as planned, at 5:30 am). After I turned off the phone and lay back down in the bed in the darkened bedroom, I heard a very odd noise - there was some movement coming from within my backpack. Specifically, there was something moving around the plastic bags I had placed in there the day before (I had put some snacks in my backpack the day before as I was going to be flying back to Illinois the following day [today]).

Honestly, it sounded like there was something playing with the bag... Or it sounded like there was something like a mouse or lizard inside the bag. If you could imagine the sound of a hand crinkling a plastic shopping bag, you'd have a good representation of what I heard.

What was odd is that the sound wasn't momentary - it kept on continuing (it wasn't just one sound but an ongoing sound). Furthermore, I am certain it hadn't happened previously that morning and it certainly hadn't happened the night before (when I was getting ready to go to sleep).

Listening to this sound in bed, I thought that I was imagining things. However, I got out of bed, turned on the light and looked at the bag... And the sound kept coming: crinkle, crinkle, crinkle. I stood there, just dumbfounded, trying to imagine what could've been causing it.

I was convinced that there had to be a mouse or some other critter in there, making that noise, although my parents had never complained of mice in their condo, and I had never heard or seen anything related to mice or lizards inside the condo. My parents do not have any pets, and the windows all have screens on them.

I reached inside, pulled out the bag, looked inside, and there was nothing. Zero. Zip. I looked inside the rest of the backpack, and there was nothing, zero, zip. Nothing crawled out of the bag (which I would have seen) and there was nothing inside the bag.

The crinkling sound stopped after I pulled out the bag and placed it on the ground.

Now, it is possible that a lizard may have somehow gotten into the condo, and crawled into my bag looking for snacks. But again, I didn't see any lizard either in the bag or crawling out when I reached inside the backpack.

Honestly, I don't know what could've caused that sound or whether it was related to my Dad's recent passing. But it really happened, and it was very strange.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, chicagomike, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

chicagomike (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-05)
Thank you for all of your great comments. Thinking now about what happened, I still don't have an explanation for it.

I will say this - the sound did not occur earlier in the evening or when I went to bed. It only occurred early in the morning. When I awoke, my initial thought was entirely rational - it was, "Is that an animal poking around my bag?" However, I didn't see any animal come out of the bag (I watched it as the bag was making the sound) and there have never been animals found in that condo. That doesn't mean it couldn't have been an animal; just that, it is unlikely to have been an animal.

In terms of other rational explanations, there was a ceiling fan in that room but it had been blowing all night and the bag didn't make that sound before. As for an air vent, there were no air vents near the bag (I'm not sure whether there are any air vents at all in that room). The sound, to me, definitely would require moderate pressure applied to the bag - it sounded like someone deliberately crunching the bag, not it being blown by wind.

I appreciate the suggestion about the snacks - I hadn't thought of that. My Dad was a BIG snackaholic (worse than me, which is saying a lot). Who knows, maybe that's what caught his attention?

My disposition is to believe that there is a rational explanation for this, but it WAS very strange and it DID happen. That I am sure of.
broiquapride (22 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-17)
I do not know how that could be related to his passing but I do believe that it could have been a tree lizard but honestly his death may not have caused that because that sounds more like a critter then a ghost or paranormal if it was sounds or maybe some coldness in very hot weather then I would say you have a activity but I don't believe so
glesgaboy (24 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-16)
Hey Miracles51031, no offense taken, but just to clarify, my suggestion as to what it could have been was not to state "therefore, it was not a visit from your Dad" as you interpreted.
Indeed it could very well have been chicagomike's Dad.
I simply feel that in some cases, particularly concerning noises, all things must be considered and one must try to keep an open mind.
GB.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-16)
chicagomike: I'm sorry for your loss and welcome to YGS.
I think you already did enough reasoning, to no avail, trying to explain the source of the noise but, what was your first feeling at that moment, before your pragmatic brain began working?
I think the answer lays there.

Thanks for sharing this interesting experience!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-16)
chicagomike - my thoughts are similar to val's in that whatever the "crinkling" sound was it could be related to your dad.

I guess the thing about your experience is, at least it would be for me 😉, what you choose to believe. There are going to be people who will tell you (no offense intended here, glesgaboy 😆) that it is not paranormal; therefore, it wasn't a visit from your dad. And then you're going to have others who will tell you that there are visits from our loved ones that are so "not" in your face obvious that you almost miss them, like maybe this one. You just have to decide what you want to believe. Go with your heart ❤
glesgaboy (24 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-16)
hello chicagomike, You say it was a condo you were in.
Was the room relatively empty?
Could it be possible that some sort of air vent was bouncing noise in an "echo" effect, making it sound like it was coming from your bag?
Mind you, the fact that you say the noise stopped after you removed the bag does add to the mystery somewhat.
I will say however, having lived and worked in a few different types of buildings in my day (I am an electrician by trade), I have heard some strange noises over the years.
Depending on the atmosphere, cold and heat can cause some weird sounds within walls and around pipes and vents.
An interesting story though, thanks for posting it.
GB.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-16)
chicagomike,
First, welcome to YGS! Second, congratulations on experiencing what we fondly call a WTH moment 😊.
I do have a question though; were the snacks in question something you associated with your dad? I know that sounds odd but you mentioned his illnesses which would have put him on a rather restricted diet (except for the cancer, my mom had the same disorders). Could your snacks have been something he had been longing for but were taboo? Have you experienced anything like that since?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: