You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dancer On The Roof

Real Ghost Stories

Dancer On The Roof

 

In Indian dances, the dancer wears an ornament which creates sounds like small bells tied together to form one sound. So this story was told to me by my father.

At the time when my grandmother and grandfather moved in with their son, my house had one floor then roof on the top like most other houses at that time. In India it is said that before you start living in a new house you have to do religious ceremony which includes a priest, who asks the evil spirit in the house if any to leave. But my grandfather thought there was no need of it so they came in the house and started settling their stuff.

Everything went smoothly through the day but at night when they went to bed, they heard the sound of the ornament which dancer wears from the roof. So my grandmother got very scared and asked my grandfather to check the roof if there was somebody there but he found no sign of even an animal. That night they took it lightly and assumed that it might be coming from the neighbours'. The very night they heard the same sound and this time it was louder than yesterday.

This phenomena kept on happening for the whole week and disturbed them so much that they were not able to sleep. My father also told me that one night he, with a stick, went to the roof to catch the ghost but that night the ghost didn't show up so he was really very disappointed. The next night when my father was in bed the sound came again and this time the sound was so loud and hard that they thought it would penetrate through the ceiling.

The next morning my grandfather called a priest who did the ceremony in the house and they heard a scream of a girl and then complete silence. After that night no sound came from the roof and for the first time they had a good night.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, gamerx, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-20)
[at] Deepika, the particular "chandramukhi" itself is a copy of a Malayalam movie "Manichitra Thazhu" in which the anklet sounds were not made by any ghosts but a woman with Multiple Personality Disorder.

I have had an experience of walking down a dark road, hearing the sound anklets following me. Seriously. I have posted it over here in YGS.

[at] gamerx
We have to first eliminate the most plausible causes of such noises - such as "Crickets" which of course do make such sounds similar to anklets.

I don't know about the scream.
Perhaps your grandparents added that bit to exaggerate the experience.
Elder's tales should always be taken with a pinch of salt.

Maybe perhaps it was a real haunting.
Depends on the storyteller (not you gamerx) to provide the actual data without the spice or masala.
gamerx (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-20)
deepika I live in new delhi and now you really thing will have the time to see a tamil movie and why a tamil movie when I have the whole range of hindi movie but I respect your comment
Deepika_V (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
😆 Fake story, just copied it from "Chandramukhi" Tamil film.
gamerx (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-25)
sds my father went to the roof before the ritual ceremony but that night the ghost didn't appear while he was there but when he returned to go to bed then he heard the noise again. And he took a stick because it might be someone (human) who was disturbing them.
Thank you for you comment 😁
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-23)
Hi gamerx, in our culture and tradition, yes, we do house-warming function before we move in. I just want to ask you something. You said that your dad went to the ceiling with a stick to catch the ghost and it didn't show up that day. That part is quite puzzling to me. I agree that house-warming rituals do drive away the negative energies and spirits. But catching a ghost with a stick and the ghost never turning up on that day makes me skeptical.

I feel that some negative energy might have been present in the house and that would have been warded off once the rituals were done by the priest.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-22)
The scream part is what gave me tingles... Thats scary as. Love it. A smudge is good practice for stagnant energy even if no spook is present. Bless.
Walks_on_Clouds (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-17)
I was in the military for over 21 years and did A LOT of traveling.

Every time our family moved into a new home, we first prayed in it to make certain whatever activities the prior owners did in it, were done, finished, all evils be gone.

It's a good practice. It's always best to be on the safe side. 😁
broiquapride (22 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-17)
I have but one question how is it a good night if you hear a scream of a girl and then hear nothing else I would get out of that house right away
Aaru275 (4 stories) (55 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-17)
Yeah I am also an Indian girl and I love classical dance and mostly the sound of ghungroo but your story made me hate them really it was scary.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: