You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Is Nan Really Watching Over Me?

Real Ghost Stories

Is Nan Really Watching Over Me?

 

My story that I am about to tell happened in 2003. I was born in Germany and moved to England on my 8th birthday in 1991 along with my younger sister and two brothers. Myself and my sister could not speak any English. Both my brothers were able to speak a little English but were not very good at it. We moved to England for personal reasons and, therefore, had to move into my Nan and Grandad's house before finding our new permanent home!

Over the years that passed, my Nan became my absolute soulmate. She taught me everything that I am and know today. God, do I miss her so much! Then came that fateful year in 2001 when Nan had a nasty fall in town whilst out shopping. She broke her hip and I would learn that Nan was never to return home again! I nursed my Nan right up until the end on her death bed, returning to her only what she gave to me - love!

The last days before her death were the hardest. I would cycle my bicycle through wind and rain straight after work no matter what, to keep her company and comfortable in her hospital bed. She begged me on numerous occasions not to bother to come and visit her as it used to be so late at night by the time I finished work. I felt it was my duty, like she cared for me when I was younger. I just ignored and carried on.

A few weeks had passed until one evening she really had deteriorated and she found it very hard to breath and told me that she didn't want to live anymore and I was to take care of her son (my dad), the house, and that she will always watch over me! Within minutes the priest from Nan's local village church came flying through the double hospital doors, to Nan's bedside and my face in horror, I asked, "Nan what is going on?!" She simply said that she called for him to say the Lord's Prayer. I knew then that Nan didn't want to fight anymore and in the sweetest way, I forgave her! Nan died peacefully in her sleep two days later... The one day that I told her that I wouldn't be coming, just so I could have a rest.

I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl two years later and moved into Nan's home. Weird things started to happen, or were they signs? I was washing up one evening and all was still when suddenly her pantry cupboard doors were open! The funny thing was I didn't hear them opening? Another time was her silver teapot, which was on the tumble dryer, oddly flew across the hard tiled kitchen floor whilst I was out of the room! Electronic toys would go off on their own in dead of night, perfume smells in bedrooms, cold sensations on my forehead at night, doors opening on their own, lights flickering, not to mention dream visitations of Nan.

I can sometimes smell Nan when kissing my daughter goodnight at bedtimes. As soon as I acknowledged all these strange happenings, they more or less stopped. So whether it's coincidence or me going absolutely potty, I will leave it up to you to decide. A lot more things happened but all I can say is that it did happen and I'm a believer!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, whitehart, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-18)
Whitehart, thanks for trying to answer my 'nana' question. 😊 It's probably one of those questions that the answer is lost in antiquity. May as well ask why a table is called a table! 😆 Ah, but I was curious.
Your comment about the knitted items struck a chord for me. I have a Christening gown hand made right down to the lace even by my great-grandmother, for my mother. I was Christened in it, and so was my daughter. It's my only 'family heirloom'- something from my 'great', and it is very treasured. So I understand how you feel.
Walks_on_Clouds (2 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-17)
Smells have a way of off-gassing for years when it's on things a person touched or if the perfume was sprayed the residual ends up on whatever it landed on. Then if that area has the sun heat it or change, the smell can be smelled again.

Another thing, our brains will often 'smell' memories and you ARE living in her old home, right?

BUT, mixed with opened cupboards doors and such... Sounds like SOME spirit is communicating with you.

I hope it remains friendly with you whoever it is!
whitehart (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-17)
notjustme-thank you. Also may I add that when Nan passed we all had the horrible job of going through Nan's belongings, to my amazement I came across a white knitted dress and white matching cardigan carefully wrapped up in tissue paper and later on came across a cute pair of pink knitted booties. I know that she made these herself as she had her own knitting shop in Bristol (England).I still treasure these to this very day!
whitehart (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-17)
Val-answer to your question:I actually don't really know! What I do remember though, is that one day I called her 'Grandma' and she didn't look too pleased with me ha ha. She quickly corrected me and said 'No, it's Nan or Nana!'
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-17)
Good morning whitehart, and thank you for sharing such a beautiful experience. I think she's watching over you and your little one and probably overjoyed to have the two of you in her home. Physical life may be fleeting, but love endures forever.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-16)
I know that, Miracles, and I appreciate the response. I suppose I was wondering if it was a derivative of another word. 😕 For instance we call my daughter's Godmother "Nina" short for "madrina" (Spanish for Godmother) in respect for her heritage and their relationship to each other.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-16)
Whitehart - Thanks for sharing your story. I do believe that it is your nan coming to watch over you and your family now. Those experiences may be her just letting you know that she's here for you. I have read that when a newborn arrives, it can trigger our passed loved ones to have better access to us, in a good way of course. Good luck to you!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-16)
val - I know quite a few grandmothers in my area who go by Nana/Nanna. In some of the cases, though, they don't want to be grandma/mama/mamaw or they are trying to differentiate between the many "grandmas" in the families 😊 (Me, I'm "Mimi" LOL)
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-16)
Whitehart,
Question for you or any of our other Brits; why do you call your Grandmothers 'Nan' or 'Nanna'? No harm meant, I just get curious about things like that. 😊
I think your Nan is watching over you, and trying to let you know. Thanks for sharing a sweet story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: