You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My First Encounter With The Paranormal

Real Ghost Stories

My First Encounter With The Paranormal

 

I have read many stories on this site over the past few days since finding it and have decided to share one of my personal stories about an encounter that I had when I was a little boy. I cannot remember exactly what age I was but I must have been 7 or 8, and to my knowledge this is the first encounter that I ever had of this kind.

I will attempt (probably poorly and apologize in advance) to describe the layout of the home that we lived in. When you came in the front door there was a straight hallway in front of you that led to the kitchen. Immediately to the left of the front door there was a small living room area, and immediately to the right there were stairs going down into a large family room, a laundry room and a bathroom. There are more stairs going down that led to one large bedroom which was my brother's, who is 10 years older than I, and one smaller room which was my sister's, who is 6 years older than I. These two rooms will be important if I decide to share more experiences I personally have had or some that my siblings have shared with me.

Anyway back to describing the home. As you come through the front door, just past the stairs going down, there is a flight of stairs going up which are also to the right. Straight ahead, as you are looking up the staircase, is my room and you can see the door to my room from the main level. My parents had a room to the left of mine as you are looking up and then there was a bathroom also to the left and another small room to the right before mine which was used as a library.

Now to the story. I was sleeping in my bed and ever since I can remember I have had night terrors and horrific dreams that I oftentimes woke up screaming or was so loud that someone would come and wake me up. Well, I was having one of those dreams. I do not remember exactly what it was about, but I do know I was having a nightmare. Luckily I was able to wake myself up and when I awoke my room seemed surprisingly well lit. I looked over at my alarm clock and it was just after 3 am and should have been near pitch black in my room. The light was an off blue color. I can't exactly describe it but I was still scared after having the dream and I decided I was going to go wake up my mom and ask her if I could sleep in her bed or if she could come and tuck me back in. I was a pretty big momma's boy.

When I opened my door I took half a step out and looked up and there was a woman standing at the bottom of the stairs with her back toward me. She was inspecting a painting that we had on the wall. She was very short, probably around 5 feet tall and was as round as a ball. Her clothes appeared to be rags and she had a rag on her hair. She also had a blueish hint, the best way I can describe the glow she had was she looked like what I assume an angel would look like but she was transparent and I could see the painting on the wall that she was inspecting through her. I was frightened beyond belief. I just stood there mortified, literally shaking and I was to afraid to move. I wanted so badly to call out for my mother but I couldn't. I then thought about hurrying into my parents' room but I couldn't move. I was frozen in fear. Standing there for what seemed like minutes but was most likely only seconds, the woman began to turn around slowly and I became even more terrified that she would see me. I had a strange feeling that if she saw me she would come up the stairs and get me.

Suddenly, just as our eyes were about to meet, there was something that felt like an arm gently wrap around my lower torso and pulled me inside my room and as I was being gently pulled into my room I quietly shut my bedroom door. I was awestruck as I slowly crawled back into my bed and I noticed that my room was nearly as light as if I had turned the lights on but it still had a blueish hint to it. Over the next few minutes the light faded and I felt almost peaceful even in the darkness as I drifted back to sleep.

I often think back to this event that happened to me and have nearly told everyone in my family about it. My brother and sister, who have also had some odd experiences, believe that what I saw was real. My parents, however, are extremely against anything paranormal and discard it as a dream. When I have talked to them about it or other occurrences in my life, they end up getting mad and so I have learned not to share these types of things with them.

To this day I do not know who the lady was or what type of spirit she may have been or what it was that I felt guide me into my room that night. I also do not know why I was so terrified but personally believe there was something evil there.

I hope those of you who know more than I do about this subject or really anyone who like to comment would please do so. If you have any ideas as to what it may have been or just want to comment about the story or similar experiences you have had I would appreciate it.

Thank you for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Aomni, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ghstwrld (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-05)
You mention she had a blue hint to her, it's possible that this could have been the aura of the spirit. I read somewhere that blue usually means a calm, balanced, benevolent spirit. This would make sense if the spirit was that of your great grandma as she wouldn't have wanted to harm you in any way.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-28)
Now I've read the comments and I'm pleased you've reached a resolution. I just knew it wasn't a bad spirit. How lovely to get to meet your great grandparents. I wish I could meet my "little grandma" who died only a year before I was born. My mom says she was incredibly intelligent and one of the sweetest women she ever knew.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-28)
Without reading any other comments, what I want to say is that a blue round figure who glows makes me think of the Blue Fairy in Sleeping Beauty. 😊 But in any case, she was a stranger in your home and it's no wonder you were scared. It's quite possible that she sensed you and it was her own will which pulled you back into your room and whisked you off to bed. That's what I expect a matronly spirit to do -- wake you from your bad dreams, keep your room comfortably lit, show her unthreatening presence admiring a painting, then encourage you to not disturb your parents but instead go to bed. I'd call this a good thing.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-22)
Aomni: thanks to you for the feed back, it is amazing to know that the ghost wasn't just a random spirit but that of your great-grandmother still visiting her family. And I love the fact that your mother shared her own experiences with you. 😁
What a great story!
Aomni (1 stories) (19 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-22)
Thanks for reading babygoatpuller and i'm glad you enjoyed it!

Tinkyme, I must have read your comment your first comment. It is possible someone painted it but I do know that this painting is extremely popular and sold in a lot of places.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-01-21)
Aomni- When you first mentioned the "blueish hint", my first reaction was this couldn't be as bad as you thought it was. I've seen my mom with a golden glow and recently, with a blue glow around her. I know she's at peace and is watching over me as I'm certain your great-grandparents are watching over you. Great read Aomni and looking forward to more from you!
tinkyme (5 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-21)
actually Aomni... I think you took me wrong
I meant that it is possible that it was somebody elses painting before after that person sold it to the store and your mom bought it
Some 1 must have been attached to it!
Aomni (1 stories) (19 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-01-21)
Yes those links are the paintings and yes tinkyme i'm sure it is one that they mass produced. Valkricry it is extremely exciting that I was able to find who I think the spirit was and it is a big joy! If it wasn't for lady-glow telling me to ask about the painting I may have never known. Thank you lady-glow! 😁
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-21)
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+2
10 years ago (2014-01-21)
Aomni,
That is exciting! Look what just a tiny bit of research (although your Mom amassing all that info wasn't a small feat at all) can turn up!
Great-gran may have been 'cleaning' when you saw her; even in the 50's it was not uncommon for women to cover their hair when going about household chores, to protect their hairdo from dirt.
With it being your first experience and all, it would make sense that you were afraid. 7 or 8 years old, you knew you were seeing something not of the norm, and something you had already heard scary stories about, I'm sure. Although not about that particular spirit such stories could have instilled the fear in you: ghost equals bad so I'm scared response. Totally logical. And why wouldn't great-granddad pull you away, comfort you when scared? Makes sense to me! 😊
tinkyme (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-21)
could you please describe the painting!
It is also possible that it is a seconh-hand painting 😕
Aomni (1 stories) (19 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-21)
The painting is called "Two Sisters on the Terrace" by Pierre-Auguste Renoir. My mom told me that she had gone to some strip mall in the early 80's with my dads mother and she had pointed it out to my mom. My mom bought it and has had it since then. So... It hasn't been in my family for a long time or anything and i'm not sure if the picture itself was significant in the story but at least I have the background for it now.

However, something extremely exciting happened yesterday while I was talking with my mom. The few times I had told her this story as a child she blew me off saying it was a dream or my imagination. She was curious why I was asking about the painting and I again told her the story of what happened and that I was just curious. Surprisingly to me my mom told me that occasionally she to felt a spirit of an older lady and she knew who it was and wanted to see if I could point her out.

Well, she pulled out a genealogy book (my mom has traced both her line and my dads line back several hundred years) and began cycling through it. About 60-70 pages into the book and as she was quickly turning the pages I saw the old lady. At least from behind I thought that was her. I told my mom that was who I saw and it is my great grandma on my dads side. Well I began reading about her and looking through her pictures and I am fairly confident it is her. Especially when I found out her husband was named John and is pretty tall, that will make sense if I tell other stories of when I was 15. For about 5 years a spirit followed me around, I only saw him a few times but I felt him everywhere and he made himself known numerous times to friends and family members. I always had the strongest impression that his name was John and looking at the pictures of my great-grandmas husband and reading about him as well I can't help but wonder if it's him.

So it turns out my first impression may have been wrong about the spirit. I may have been afraid just because I was seeing a spirit for the first time and had no idea how to react to it. I now wonder if she and her husband were there together and they realized how scared I was and maybe it was John who wrapped an arm around me and pulled me safely into my room. If it was John then it is comforting to know he was with me for much longer than I thought.
Aomni (1 stories) (19 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-20)
I am going over to my parents home today actually and I believe my parents still have the painting. Ill ask what its called and how long my parents or family has had it for and i'll post later what I can find out about it.

As for the age of the home I would guess it was probably built in the late 70's. My parents purchased it in 95 and moved across country to live there. No paranormal experience had happened to anyone in my family for the 2-3 years of us living there before this incident (that I am aware of) but several occurrences happened afterword that I don't feel are related.

My sister, though fairly young lived an extremely bad lifestyle and as she went further and further down the wrong path the activity became more and more notorious. Eventually to the point where even my parents decided it was best to move.

I'm sure I will post other stories in the future.

Big thanks to everyone that has posted so far. I really appreciate the comments and how welcome I already feel to this community. 😁
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-01-19)
Do you know if the painting has been within your family for a long time? Perhaps the short lady is attached to it. 😕
I'm glad there was someone there to comfort you and, no, no one is ever too big to be a mommy's boy/girl, sometimes I still would like to lay my head on my mother's lap... 😐
Thanks for sharing your story, I'm looking forwards to read more of your experiences!
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-19)
I'm curious as to what the painting was of that the woman was studying, and how old the house might be. From your description of dress, it sounds a bit like what scullery maids wore. Of course I could be way off. As BJJ says, it could've been a holdover from a nightmare, but also possible it all happened.
Aomni (1 stories) (19 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-19)
Badjuujuu thank you for commenting I really appreciate your input. I too am glad I didn't see her face... I can still picture her slowly turning around and when I do it sends shivers all through my body.

Walks_on_Clouds, it sounds like we had similar upbringings other than the bedroom situation... It's somewhat comforting to know others have shared the bad experiences that I had as a child, though I don't wish it on anyone. My parents didn't take me to scary movies but I was mostly raised by my brother who let me tag along to anything, much of which I shouldn't have been subjected to at that age. As for the tearing my parents place up to find out if there was something in the wall I actually think that's a great idea (mainly because it would be fun)! To bad they sold the house almost 9 years ago. We only live about a mile away from my old home and maybe one day I will convince the owners to let me tear it up?
Walks_on_Clouds (2 stories) (18 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-01-19)
Maybe the 'round lady' wasn't looking at the painting, but rather trying to get your attention as to what is hidden in the wall. Nothing like tearing your parent's place up though to find out, right?

And you were fortunate to have the room close to your parent's and the option to sleep with them if scared.

My parents used to take me to scarey films like Exorcist and such. My bedroom was the furthest away from my parent's room. And when I got scared at night, waking my parents and crawling in their bed was not an option. I remember sleeping in the hallway once so I could at least be closer to their room. Got my tail chewed off after my dad tripped over me in the morning so never did that again. Like, what should they have expected, right?

As far as your experience, I wouldn't necessarily say she was a bad spirit. I'd have to read more of what went on in your home to make that call.

I, too, was a child who had lots of nightmares. Sorry you went through it as I know how you felt.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-18)
First instinct is usually right. If your first instinct was fear, then its good you didn't get any closer and that she didn't notice you. Someone was watching your back that night, maybe a departed relative?
Its possible the entire encounter was a holdover from the nightmare, its also possible it all happened. You were there, so you know best what it was. I really am glad you didn't see her face though.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: