You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Poppy's Friend

Real Ghost Stories

Poppy's Friend

 

I wrote some time ago about different strange things that go on in my 125 year old house. These strange things don't bother me as they do not happen all the time.

Just last July I got my daughter a puppy she called Poppy, she is a miniature Jack Russell, we took her home and she settled in well with the family and even the cats. As with all the other animals in our house Poppy growls at the kitchen door or she will stare at it for ages. This does not unnerve me either. We put her bed into the kitchen under the radiator and she seems to like it as her own space at night.

One afternoon I was in the kitchen with all the family making the dinner when Poppy kept running up and down the stairs. The stairs are in the kitchen. I peered up the stairs and there was no one there. She would get up on her hind legs jump in the air and catch her ball then she would run up the stairs with it, return and wait a few minutes for it to be thrown down. But there was no one there to throw it, the ball wasn't bouncing down the stairs it was being thrown and she would wait a good few minutes for it to come down. Poppy has an invisible friend and this game goes on most of the day when the family are busy.

We often hear footsteps on the stairs like someone is trying to be really quiet on the stairs as to not to disturb anyone, but the steps creak and that is how we hear it. To who it is I do not know but Poppy totally enjoys their company. I get the feeling it could be a little girl as we have all seen or heard a little girl in the house. I'm not going to tell it to stop as perhaps our little dog is bringing some sort of happiness to a lonely soul.

Other hauntings by spiritwolfdancer

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, spiritwolfdancer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

spiritwolfdancer (6 stories) (18 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-06)
Hi AzraelX, believe me I have exhausted myself and my family trying to find out what it is that plays with Poppy. This ball is being thrown to her, not bouncing, it is thrown at a height so she has to jump in the air to catch it, you have to remember Poppy is a miniture Jack Russell, she is smaller than a cat, so she has to get ready to leap in the air to catch it. It takes a good few minuites for the ball to be thrown, its like it waits for her to be ready. My stairs are very dark as there is no windows so trying to catch it on tape or photo just doesn't work, you have to be very quick to catch her playing. I will of course keep trying.
earthangel0410 (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-01)
Aw, that's a cute story. My cat had an invisible friend too, He would chase something on the ceiling everyday I would always looked up to see what it was, I thought it was flies or maybe some cobwebs so I took a broom and cleaned the ceiling. But he would go crazy chasing it I mean he loved it, I tried to take pictures of what it was of but time it took for the camera to turn on it was to late. But he would sit on top of the chair everyday or night and wait for it my other cats didn't do it, just him well they did they didn't go nuts. Well whenever I saw him staring I started taking pictures, But I never caught anything. That was about 7yrs ago. I moved since then. I haven't seen him chasing anything for about 3 yrs, and recently maybe about 2 weeks ago I caught him chasing something well I don't what happens when I'm not home but I hope his friend did come back
Nathaniel (37 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-29)
This is a sweet story! Poppy has a friend to play with, when everyone else is busy doing other things. I have heard 3 different people/entities talking to my pets while I was busy doing something. Since all 3 seemed to be friendly interactions, I just let it be. I worry about stuff like that, but as long as they are nice to the pets, I see no reason to ask them to stop.
Narella (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-29)
This is such a great story! I'm sure Poppy enjoys the company when her human family is away from home.
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-27)
try putting a ball on the floor near the stairs. If the floor isn't plane enough and sloping towards the stairs, it is possible that she (poppy) found this out and carries the ball up the stairs, puts in on the floor at the start of the slope, runs down the stairs, waits for the ball to roll down the sloping floor to the stairs. The ball can gather enough momentum to bump up and down, to reach enough height at the bottom of the stairs so that poppy has to jump or stand on her two legs to catch the floor.

Check the upstairs floor near the stairs for any uneven surface or any slope.
spiritwolfdancer (6 stories) (18 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-27)
Hi Vonboeckmann, There seems to be more than one ghost in my house. I know according to the census there was a little girl who lived here in 1911 called Rose but notting comes up of what happened to her. Also I live near an old railway and I found out that a lot of people fell down dead along here during the time of the Irish Famine. Thank you for your comment and everyone else that enjoyed the story. Little Poppy is having a great old time with her friend. 😆
Vonboeckmann (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-26)
Hi Spiritwolfdancer I just wanted to thank you for sharing such a lovely story. It is breaking dawn here in outback Australia on what promises to be another scorcher of a day. Coffee on the verandah reading. Your story gave me a feeling of peace. I ask have you thought of doing a little research to see whom the "little girl"might be? Just for interest sake. I believe animals have a special sense.
Kind regards J
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-25)
spiritwolfdancer,
You know what would be totally cool, if you could somehow film Poppy playing this game of fetch. I'm not sure what the best angle for the camera would be - up the stairwell or what, but it would make for some interesting viewing. This is a sweet story. Thank you for sharing it. 😊
freakedoutfreddy (1 stories) (77 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-25)
Yeah take a picture when your dog is playing with the ghost and post it here.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-24)
This is such a warm story. And the comments are fun reading too. Thanks for a nice read.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-01-24)
That's so interesting, to have a dog-sitter playing with Poppy! Have you ever tried to take a picture of the stairwell when your dog is playing with the ball?

Thanks for sharing.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+3
10 years ago (2014-01-24)
Wow, I've had a similar experience. Or at least, my dog has. 😆
Back when we just had one dog, a presence would hang around our yard playing with Riley. That took a little getting used to, but the doggie beast seemed to enjoy the company lol.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: