You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Hand In The Depths

Real Ghost Stories

A Hand In The Depths

 

What I am about to narrate is not my own experience, but my late mother's. My mother had died when I was in 6th Grade.

My mom's house is in a little village in the state of Kerala, in India. The house was situated on the bank of a small river (it is the tributary to one of the bigger rivers in Kerala). The house is no longer there, having been torn down by my uncle to build a monstrosity of modern architecture in 1990s. The house was very old and I loved it very much because of its location by the river.

I used to think that my mom had the best of all places to grow up in. Of course, she was lucky to be in the midst of all the greenery, on the bank of a beautiful river. But there was a darker shade to it too.

There was a log bridge over the section of the river where it was least wide. The log bridge was made out of two logs of coconut trees, supported on other coconut trunk logs driven deep into the bottom of the river. There was a rope strung along the bridge to hold for support. I remember this bridge, from faint memories, when I had visited my mom's house in the distant past. The bridge has been replaced with a concrete bridge, the river has been clogged with weeds and the water doesn't seem to flow at all nowadays.

My mom, her brothers and her sisters all used to bathe in the river. They used to jump off the log bridge into the river, swim around and take bath on the bank, where steps had been cut into it to the side. One time when my mom was in her teens, she decided to go for a bath in the evening. None of her brothers were at home and her sisters were in the kitchen, helping their mother.

She got on top of the log bridge, jumped off into the water. She was swimming around. To the right of the log bridge, at a distance of 10 meters, there was a deep section of the river. Her parents had strictly warned my mom and her sisters to never swim in this section of the river. While she was swimming she saw a tortoise in the water and swam after it to catch it.

She didn't realize that she was swimming into the deep section. Suddenly the tortoise duck into the water and disappeared. Disappointed, she decided to swim back to the log bridge and start her bath. Suddenly, she felt a hand grab her leg and pull her deep into the water.

It was spring season, the water wasn't that cold. But she used to swear to us that the hand that grabbed her leg was icy cold. And she used to say that she knew it was a hand itself because she knew how the underwater plants and weeds feel like on your skin or cling to your skin.

She started screaming loudly. Suddenly a neighbor saw her, ran, dove into the river, caught her by her hair, and dragged her closer to the steps in the banks. By this time, she had fainted.

When she woke up, all the family was around her. They were enquiring as to what happened. She explained about the hand grabbing her leg and pulling her down. My grandparents calmed my mom down saying it is only a cluster of weeds in which she had caught her leg in and it's not a big issue and warned her not to swim in that section again. My mom was not so convinced, but let it go. For a week she used to have nightmares of the hand grabbing her leg.

A few weeks later, my mom and her sisters was visiting the neighbors. The old lady at their house, close to 102 years, told her that the particular section of the river is haunted. Her aunt, who was jilted in love, had committed suicide by jumping into river at same location (where my mom's leg was grabbed) when the old lady was still a child and it was her spirit that is haunting the river.

My mom and her sisters sat there with chills in their bones. The old lady's daughter also confirmed the same that the aunt was reported to have committed suicide there and her spirit doesn't want anybody to be happy and tries to make everyone who swims in the deeper section suffer. When my mom asked her parents, they did know about it all but didn't want to scare any of their children.

My mom and her sisters never went swimming in the river again and switched to bathing in a pool, built close to the house.

Other hauntings by AzraelX

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AzraelX, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jahnviamz95 (3 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-07-11)
Azrael X
Please tell which place in Kerala this happened. Because even I am from Kerala. Just eager to know.
pranjalisingh1000 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-16)
My colleagues told me that in kerala there are many ghosts in kerala. But what I experienced also isn't fake as this Monday night at 3am I saw a horrifying dream in which I saw a fully black charred dead
Body of a man hanging from the roof in the balcony of an unknown
House which I have never seen but it seemed like it was my house as I told I can't sleep in this room tonight after seeing the body. And when ishut the door, tthat's when I woke up at around 3.25am. Even now you think the same way?
Pavi117 (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-10)
In manali in vyas river two persons got missing from the river bank after midnit they betted on who will go alone to fetch water from the river as its not too deep in manali so both the two persons were missing after that night.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-19)
That's incredibly fascinating! Thanks for sharing all that, Azrael. I know of a lot of European lore but do not know much of the rest. 😊
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-02-19)
Triskaideka, in South India, especially in the state of Kerala, such spirits of women who end their lives in such fashion are called "Yakshi".

Some info on Yakshis:

A Yakshi is a supernatural being from Kerala, in India. Its said that Yakshis are spirits of women who die un-natural deaths - like getting killed, ones who commit suicide after getting jilted etc. They roam around in the night. In ancient times, there were stories about yakshis who would appear very beautiful. They would trap travelers in the night and drink their blood etc.

Exorcisms were aplenty in those days and the evil spirit would be 'nailed to the nux vomica tree' with iron nails. Should the nails be accidentally removed, the yakshi would be freed to feast once more upon poor travellers.

Like the Yakshis of Kerala, the vampires Bruxsa (Portugal), the Baobhan Sith (Scotland) and Dearg-due (Ireland) were also similar in appearance and went after lonely men at night.

Unlike the Yakshis and Pontianak (Indonesia), the Baobhan Sith and the Langsuir (Malaysia) prefer green attire to white in their folklore.

Eerily, our own Yakshi shares her love for floral fragrance with that of the Pontianak, albeit a different flower (the plumeria) .

The Yakshi shares one other significant similarity with the Bruxsa, Boabhan Sith and the original vampire tale - they are all vulnerable to iron.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-19)
Sorry for commenting so much, but I just love this eerie story. It occurred to me suddenly why I love it so. It reminds me of the rusalki, spirits of girls who died before their time. According to Slavic lore, they are often women who committed suicide after being heartbroken by their lovers. They taunt men and lure them into the waters to drown them, or tempt children with baskets of fruit or candy. In some art, rusalki are depicted to have hair of weeds or algae, and they tend to reside in rivers and lakes. The singular form of the word for their kind is "rusalka". You might be interested to read more about them. 😊
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-18)
The weeds are called milfoil, apparently. I learned something new today. Http://www.krem.com/news/local/Milfoil-may-have-tangled-swimmer-who-drowned-in-Horseshoe-Lake--100079989.html
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-18)
Wow, what a chilling story! We have weeds in lakes near where I grew up that, if they wrap around your leg, will actually cling tighter if you kick around. You're supposed to stay calm and keep your legs still, and use your arms to swim away, and/or tell your friends that you got caught in some weeds. To this day, I'm leery of swimming in murky water with long weeds underneath. Even without creepy undead hands, it's scary enough!
basilisk193 (35 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-02)
Yeah, a good story indeed. Glad that things turned out OK.
A similar story happened to my grandma's brother once, I ll share it soon.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-02-02)
Azrael, this account was deliciously creepy. Your poor Momma! I'm very glad it turned out alright for her.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: