You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: An Unfortunate Route

Real Ghost Stories

An Unfortunate Route

 

The month was late November 2012. I was in 2nd yr., pursuing MCA from SRM University (Kattankultahur campus, Chennai). I used to stay in a rented room in what they call "Back Gate". Before exams, it was normal for students to gather around road side tea shops in early morning. The place is called Potheri. It is a small area that is attached to the university. Eighty percent of the people living in Potheri are university students only. The rest are either shop owners or house owners. Potheri has a minimalistic railway station too, that connects to the sub-urban train line from Chennai Park station to Kattankultahur station.

In normal days, Potheri is crowded with t-shirt and half pant clad guys and beautiful girls. But during vacations (for 1 whole month), all students used to go to their native and as a result, most of the shops remained closed. It was not less than a burial ground during December and June. By November end, our semester exams would finish and Potheri would become vacant.

Now, the following incident took place at around 2 - 3 AM in the early morning in Potheri.

Usually I went to the tea shop with my friends but that day I had to go alone. I even thought of skipping it but since I needed a ciggy, I took my purse, mobile and wore my watch and started towards the tea shop. It took me 6 minutes to reach the tea shop on the main road (2nd Street Bus Stand). But unlike other days, I did feel something uncomfortable along my way, near an old non functioning shop. It was something depressing and low. I never went to that shop and never gave a thought about it either. I simply ignored it and went.

After having my coffee and ciggy I started back to my room. Amazingly enough, that day no one was on the street. It was like I was the only one in Potheri. I was not scared but was feeling little worried. Not because of the ghost or spirits but because of burglars and robbers.

Anyway, I simply started towards my room. After 1 - 2 minutes walk, the road was fully detached from the main road. Psychedelic street lights, cold wind was blowing, nothing was unusual. But I was feeling uncomfortable. I kept walking. After 1 minute of more walking, suddenly out of nowhere the street light very next to me started flickering in a odd manner. But all other lights were still on. I paused, took a deep breadth and resumed walking. Suddenly I heard a sound like someone hit the metal plate of the street light with a stone.

It took the crap out of me. I did not turn back. I immediately strafed to my extreme left side near an old non-functioning shop. Earlier, I never came near that old shop but that day I had no choice. I kept quiet and waited for some time. Then I slowly turned my head back and it was a huge dark gaseous form near the oddly flickering street light. Everything around me was feeling extremely dizzy and I could not differentiate which was fantasy, and which was reality. I could not move from that place even though I wanted to run. It was like the dark entity was trying to reach me. It had no eyes, no shape for that matter. I definitely knew I was going to die that moment. I could not scream even if I wanted to. I was losing myself. My ability to reason myself was long gone. Street dogs were screaming loud. At last, I hit my head back to the shutter of the shop very hard. Suddenly everything became dark and... I don't remember a thing afterwards what happened.

Next day I woke up in my bed. I was panting just after waking up. I checked myself and ultimately convinced myself that everything was a dream. However, my watch was missing. I decided to search it later. I took a bath. And, as soon as I touched my head, I felt that I got hurt on my head recently. It was like the whole dream flashed in front of me. I immediately ran to the same place last I remembered. It was day time so few people were on the road. Everything seemed normal. But I couldn't understand how I got hurt on my skull. If everything was not a dream, who took me back to my room?

I just calmed myself down and thought maybe I am watching too many ghost stories. As soon as I started walking back towards my room, I saw my watch... Resting on the ground, near the old-non functioning shop.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, vikz91, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Amchi1986 (18 stories) (71 posts)
 
7 months ago (2023-09-08)
I think my friend, that it was some evil supernatural force that wanted to harm you badly. I had read in some book on the paranormal, that such an evil power meant to harm the innocent person badly, since he came in it's way. Always remember a thing, that always keep a God's locket with u Or byheart a God's book Or verses. May God bless you and no evil power come in your way. Take care
ranjeetkakashi10 (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-22)
hi vikz91... Since you mentioned that the time of the incident was 2-3 am so at this time spirits and ghosts are powerful especially at 3 am so it may be a paranormal encounter...
.but...also at 2-3 am we are not fully awake so it must have been you're brain as azraelx or triskaideka said and also you mentioned you were stressed and watched a horror tv show so it may be you're mind... I wonder if it was a negative entity how did you get home speaking by the paranormal point of veiw, its kind of strange 😕
ghosthunter9876 (67 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-04)
Ever heard of Astral Projection. Look it up on google.com and find the answer you seek.
vikz91 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-13)
[at] ghostfollow1, I guess fear is something that evolves along the age.

[at] AzraelX, May be... May be not. But you are correct that human brain is very complex and just trying to understand it itself is a daring task. That previous month I was watching "Supernaturals" t.v. Series. And again, I was stressed due to my freelancing work. May be what you are saying is correct. But I am sure of one thing that I do not walk in sleep. And I really doubt that it would happen out of the blue and that too only once. I guess I will never be able to know what "actually" happened that day... But anyways, I really appreciate your opinions and views. Thanks.

[at] Triskaideka thanks for sharing your views. Yes, I was over-stressed and the previous month I have been strongly into horror t.v. Show series. I do feel there is a strong connection between these and "that" incident but still, those things felt real. But I thought cataplexy occurs during a sleep interval (or just between that). I was perfectly standing there when I felt getting hit on back of my head.
And narcoleptics could be it but then again, I was pretty sure that I was happily smoking and walking on the street (just before coming to that damn place)...
ghostfollow1 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-06)
I am 20 years old now and I had the same incident but the place was in Mumbai and I lost my mobile like you lost your watch.
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-06)
Human brain is a thing that we humans themselves have not figured out anything at all about.

What is described below is just my opinion.

The OP states that he doesn't like the " old non functioning shop".

I myself have been in many places which has seems to be full of negative energy. I used to feel depressed in such areas. Once in Chennai, India, I was walking down a street - up to one section of the street I was feeling wonderful, the next moment I entered this particular section of the street - it was as if someone pulled a dark curtain over everything, life seemed dull to me, I was feeling depressed, lethargic, angry, and suicidal in this area. I sensed something wrong and sped up, walked hard and after a while everything returned to normal for me.

This area with the shop, might be such a kind of area of negative energy.

2nd point to take note is of the OP's state of mind

Having sensed the negative energy in and around the old shop, his brain would have naturally assigned/ascribed it a paranormal tinge. His brain would have been in a kind of self induced trance.
Any and all sounds will be sounding loud and of strange origins to him.

When the brain feels threatened, it is not the conscious mind that reacts, it is the sub conscious mind that reacts. He would have fainted due to the stress on his brain and would have fallen near the old unused shop. Then his sub-conscious mind would have taken over the control of his body and doing, made him run away to his room.

When he awoke in his room, it is normal conscious self which wakes up. His normal conscious self was paused in play when he fainted and it doesn't have a any clue that his sub conscious self took control. So when he woke up, he felt that the last thing he remembers is falling down near the shop and now, waking up in his room.

As I said earlier, Human brain is a hard nut to crack!

Just my opinion.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-02-05)
Wow, this is really eerie. I also wonder what happened. I suppose one possibility is that you suffered from a narcoleptic lapse. Have you ever heard of sleepwalking? There was one occasion in my younger life that I woke up in front of my mirror at 11am, brushing my hair. Apparently without remembering, I had woken up to my alarm at 7am, climbed down from the top bunk bed without a ladder, and moved in front of the mirror to brush my hair. I had even pulled some clothes out from the closet, but not put them on. Clearly, I did all of that on my own, but I had no memory of it. I had to get a ride to school that morning.

Also common among narcoleptics or those sleep-deprived is something called "sleep paralysis". That's when you enter a state in which you can't move and think you're awake, but hallucinate.

Another state is called cataplexy, when you can't move, but you're 100% lucid.

When I was in college, there was a year I was really stressed out and didn't eat enough. I had started to experience symptoms of the flu but didn't pay attention. I went outside for a cig and just as I was going through the back door to reenter my apt, I passed out. I sort of remember coming to, back door still open. But I don't remember crawling back into bed. I just woke up there.

This is all just a really long explanation for me to say that it's quite possible that you have some sort of sleep disorder, unless you happened to be super stressed or sleep-deprived at the time. Had you been stressed or really tired? Did you eat breakfast that morning? Are there any medications you take for allergies or were you feeling sick at all? Alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, codeine, etc. Could cause this sort of state as well. If it happens again, I recommend seeing a doctor.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: