You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Upstairs

Real Ghost Stories

The Upstairs

 

My parents recently moved into a two story house in the fall of 2012 in the Edmond, Oklahoma area. I lived with them for a couple months before moving out on my own, but I stay over often as well does my sister. I have never believed much in ghosts nor have I had any paranormal experiences until recently. I am religious, though, and accept the presence of demons and angels on earth.

It didn't take long after we were settled in for things to start happening in the house, maybe a month or two. The new house created; many noises I wasn't used to, creaking when the wind blows, squeaky floorboards, etc. All could be easily explained but some other noises I still have no answer for.

The first experience I remember was being home alone one evening while my parents were out. I was watching television downstairs in the living room when all of the sudden I heard a frightening loud bang as if something large, like my dresser, had fallen upstairs. I ran up there thinking our cats had gotten into something but couldn't find anything out of place. It unnerved me a little, but I went back to watching television and nothing else happened that night. Over the months there have been multiple times when I hear loud noises or bangs from upstairs.

Another time, I was sleeping in on a Saturday morning when I woke up around 10:00 AM in my bedroom upstairs. I laid there a minute trying to fall back asleep listening to my parents talking downstairs. I could make out voices, but no words- our house echoes making it easy to hear everything that happens, so this wasn't unusual- I didn't pay much attention to it and soon fell back asleep. Shortly after that I woke up again to a low thumping and creaking sound. I would hear the creaking of what sounded like a rope and then a thud. The rhythm I heard sounded as if something was hanging from the ceiling, swinging back and forth and hitting the banister. I listened to it for a good couple minutes, trying to decide what it could be. To this day I still have no idea what created that noise. Later that afternoon, I went down to tell my parents about the noises only to find out that they had been out at the time when I thought I heard their voices.

My last experiences are the scariest for me and the most recent. I often sleep in the upstairs living area since that's where the television is and I like falling asleep to it. The past few months, during the nights in that room I'll get the sensation I am being watched or someone is in the room with me. Once I even saw a black figure standing over me for a split second. The feeling is so bad I cannot be in the room anymore unless all the lights are on. The feeling seems to emanate from the darkest corner of the room, directly by the attic door. At first, I chalked this all up to my imagination, but then my boyfriend stayed the night with me there while my parents were out of town. We ended up falling asleep watching a movie in the room. He tossed and turned all night, which is weird since he normally is a deep sleeper. In the morning he admitted he felt like someone was watching him and creeping closer the whole night, keeping him awake. I asked where he sensed it was coming from and he replied the same dark corner by the attic.

I've read that some people may be sensitive to electromagnetic waves and I have thought maybe the sensation I feel of being watched in that room is caused by faulty wiring from the television and/or the water heater upstairs, but I still can't explain the noises I've heard.

Also, all of my experiences seem to happen when I am alone in the house or late at night in the upstairs living room. I have asked my family members if they have had any unusual experiences, but they deny any. I'm curious to know if there is a spirit or something else paranormal in this house.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KateBug37, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-10-13)
You could definitely be more sensitive than the rest of your family. This is something that my family has dealt with for years... And really I am so glad that other family members experience the same things I do.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-09)
katebug37, I to live in oklahoma and hauntings are quite normal. The noise you heard upstairs sounds like maybe a residual from a chair or table knocking over, which may also have something to do with the noise you heard "the rope hanging and hitting the banister". If you search in the local library you could find old newspaper clippings etc about the history of your home. The spirit who may reside there could have been attached to you, becaue you noticed and are reacting to its actions around the home. It doesn't seem to have any ill intentions just making its usual noises. Good luck KateBug37.
ghstwrld (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-05)
I'd definitely check out the history of the property before doing anything else.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-05)
Personally, I'd take the "hint" and check out what's in the attic. It sounds like some sort of energy is emanating from that area. And sure, it could be the television or water heater or a combination of factors. Maybe all the wiring merges in a spot just inside the entrance of the attic. Or maybe there's something really cool to be found in there. 😊 How can you not investigate?
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-02-03)
Hi Kate, Welcome to YGS. You might try researching that house a bit. Sometimes our best clues are found in history. You didn't mention how old the house was, however if it is fairly new (and nothing turns up), you might look into if it was built over where something else once stood. From your description of what you heard that Saturday, I'd pay extra attention to hangings. I'm not saying that is what you heard, mind you, just a possibility - the residual sounds of a hanging.
You might try having the house blessed or cleansed according to your faith.
CuriousGuy (2 stories) (47 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-03)
well I got one thing to say according to research I have done when thinking about getting the watched feeling and its do to me getting it sometimes to.

The thing that most research I have done has pointed to is that, even while your sleeping, your brain can sense when someone is watching you. I think its due to a survival instinct or something from our ancestors. Not a 100% sure.

However the point at what I'm trying to say is your normally not going to get that feeling unless something going on in the room is giving you the feeling that your being watched.

Otherwise it sounds like you may have a poltergiest hanging out in your house.

Peace
CuriousGuy

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: