You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Music On The Shower Curtain

Real Ghost Stories

Music On The Shower Curtain

 

This took place around 4 AM on a cold winter's day recently. Because I report to work quite early, I'm usually up at that time using the restroom.

As I've mentioned before in some of my accounts, my apartment is the top floor of a very old house. I've long suspicioned that at one time it was the attic or possibly a loft because of its layout. The restroom is a long rectangular shape, and can be rather claustrophobic for some as all the utilities are down at one end.

So that this account might make better sense, I'll try to describe the room to you. If you are standing in the doorway, the wall to your right is solid. Although closer inspection will reveal that there once was a door there, long since removed and plastered over; however, the plaster has a crack that reveals its outline. Directly across is a 'long' wall (although it's a mere 12 feet) with a window almost inline with the doorway you're standing in. On that wall about 2 feet down from the window sits an ancient claw footed tub, the faucet end against another short wall (maybe 4 foot wide). Not 4 inches from the tub's edge sits the commode, facing towards the other short wall. These two objects completely fill that space. On the opposing wall, less than 2 feet from the commode is the porcelain sink, encased in a cheap vanity, above hangs an ancient metal medicine cabinet. It is important to note this mirror is NOT inline with the window. A couple of inches closes the circuit and you are back in the doorway.

Now that you have a visual, I'll tell you what happened. I was sitting on the commode, when all I can describe as a glimmer on my left caught my attention. I looked towards the shower curtains, suspended from a metal ring that hangs over the tub. To my enchantment, there were five wavy lines of tiny flickering lights playing against the curtain. They did not flicker all at once, but seemed to be emitting a pattern; one brightly shining while others were dim, then it dimming as another shone. I watched mesmerized for a moment, then tore my eyes away thinking there was something wrong with my eyes. However I didn't see these wee lights anywhere else. I glanced back and the lights still played. I watched as they went through the pattern, paused then replayed.

"What are you?" I whispered. I again glanced down to the window, then up at the mirror trying to determine if this was some refraction of light I just never noticed before. But at 4 AM it's dark out with few, if any, cars passing. As I had not heard the rumbling of any engine I ruled car windshield out. The lights flickered faster, as if demanding my attention. It hit me then, I was seeing music! Each wee light representing a note. Although I come from a musical family, I can't sight read music and have to take the long way: Every Good Boy Does Fine and F-A-C-E. I stood up and snatched an eyeliner pencil from my makeup basket on the vanity and begin scrawling the letters across the white vanity top. "Slow down... I can't decipher that fast," I softly implored. "B-C-D-E-A-G-E-D-C-A-C..." I continued to write as the lights slowly blinked their code to me. What a sight it must have been - me standing with pants around my ankles, feverishly whispering "Every good boy does fine, F-A-C-E," as I scribbled the letters! Then all the lights faded into nothingness.

I felt slightly accelerated and my heart was beating a bit faster, as I quickly finished up my business and ran for paper and pen to rewrite the 'message' before it could become smudged and unreadable. I forced myself to calm down, and get a cup of coffee before trying to figure out what the notes were telling me. Lacking any musical instruments (only one in the family who didn't play something) I had to settle for la-de-dumming my way through.

Midway I choked and tears formed as I recognized my dad's favorite song, "O, Danny Boy". It had been his request to have it played at his funeral (although he had also requested that I did not attend). If you've read my story "Possession by Nightmare?", you understand how this request came as no surprise to me. I think, even as he was dying, he was afraid I would tell someone about the way he was. I'm not sure he ever believed that he was forgiven, or that I knew he was no longer that man. Or maybe he knew I could ill afford the expense of travel and was just trying to make it easier on me. I prefer the latter explanation, but don't know for certain.

Then the date jumped up and slapped me: November 18, his birthday. I went back into the bathroom and stood by the shower curtains. I didn't feel anything there, and there were no dancing lights. Still, I spoke into the air, "Dad, if you can hear me, Happy Birthday. Rest now, I forgive you."

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-03)
This story made me cry! You see, I still have both of my parents and they're not suffering from any illnesses. I don't want to imagine how life would be without them.

God bless you, Val. God bless your dad's soul.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-05-30)
teriland, thanks for reading and the lovely compliment. It was a bitter sweet event for me.
teriland1 (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-29)
I am reading all of your stories too Val! I love them - thank you so much for sharing:)
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-10-03)
Gargoyle,
Thanks for reading my submissions. I'm eternally grateful that for whatever reason, I've experienced way more 'good' spirits than 'bad'.
Gargoyle (51 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-03)
Val, I am reading all of your stories just now. It's a quiet day at the office... Your experiences are making my hair stand on end. I'm coming out in goose bumps and I've had to get the hankies out several times. You've had some life and your paranormal experiences are fascinating. Take care and good luck to you for the future and keep the stories coming.

Gargoyle
Khili180 (3 stories) (78 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-12)
Aaawwwww that is soooo cute:)) ) brought me to tears! Love all your stories val <3
selkay (6 stories) (40 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-22)
Definitely should attached a tissue ready warning. It leave me teary but bittersweet at the same time. Hope he is in peace now.

With all the positive vibe,
Selkay
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-13)
Yes, tissue warnings would be ideal. They wouldn't stop me from reading, but they'd stop me from drizzling snot all over my bare hand! D: ❤
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-12)
awww valkricry,
This definitely warmed my heart and made me smile. Its nice to know he has come to you in such a special way. I think he may know you forgive him, he just may like reassurance.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-02-11)
Triskaideka, perhaps I should add tissue warnings? 😆
Basilisk193, thank you for reading and commenting. I'm fine, thank you.

Ghstwrld; awwww, thank you!

Notjustme, lovely to 'see' you!
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-02-11)
Azrael,
Well, when I said I can't read sheet music, I meant sight read it. Some folks can read music as easily as you and I read words. Me, I have to 'think' much like a small child learning to read. It takes me a long time. 😉 It took a bit for me to realize what I was seeing was musical notes, at first I just thought what pretty lights they were. 😆
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-11)
wow great story. Very touching and magical. I can only imagine what you were feeling through out the whole ordeal. I shall proceed to read your other story that you mentioned! Thanks again!
ghstwrld (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-11)
Your stories make my dull day at work so much better, definitely adding you to my favourites! ❤
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-02-10)
WHO CHOPPED ONION IN HERE!?

😭

Thank you for sharing this, Val. ❤
basilisk193 (35 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-10)
A nice little story.
I have a few things to ask so I posted on the other story. It was truly scary and I hope everything go well for you.
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-10)
I Cant read Sheet Music at all. If such a Music lights came on a shower curtain, I wouldn't be able to read it all.

Perhaps you knew how to read sheet music after watching you family members do so, but never realized it.

Happy to know that your dear father thinks about you in such a loving fashion and expresses his love.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-02-09)
Dear BJJ,
Thank you for reading and commenting. I too, hope and pray that he is at peace.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-09)
Val, I don't know what to say. I hope he's at peace and understands everything is in the past.
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-09)
Ah, Fergie - bitter sweet is as good a description as any.
Samtillie - I'll pop over and see what you have to say.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-09)
Val, what a unique way to remind one of a special date, though it may not be ringed on the calender any more.

This was very special, and I can almost feel the emotion in invoked in you - bitter sweet?

Thank you for an amazing account. ❤
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-09)
I have just read your other story and left you a message on that post. Stop making me cry haha
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-09)
Valkricry- what a heart warming story. I haven't read your other story mentioned, but will go read it now. This actually bought tears to my eyes. 😭 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: