You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Cousins' Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

My Cousins' Haunting

 

So this is my first story on this site and it was quite a few years back. I think I was twelve.

I was spending the night at my cousins' house after one of their birthday parties and it was around midnight. My cousin Danielle and I were laying in bed waiting for her sister Nathalie to come get us so we could go night swimming. (We did this almost every time they had a party because the pool was warm).

As we were laying there in her bed we heard laughing and splashing from the pool. (Her room's window faces the pool so you can see the whole thing from her bed when you sit up.) So we got up and ran downstairs, thinking that Nathalie had just forgotten to tell us and went down to the pool without us. But when we opened the door to the back door there wasn't anyone outside except for her dog Marshmellow (Marshy) who was curled up in the corner right next to the door and ran in as soon as he could.

We thought maybe Nathalie and her friends were just hiding from us, so we went looking around the backyard and found no one. So we went through the side yard to the front yard and heard laughing in the park right next to their house. So, naturally, we went and looked there. (We play hide and seek in the park too when there is enough moonlight.) We looked over in the playground and nothing, so we went back into the house thinking we had just missed them.

We walked up stairs and straight to Nathalie's room. We opened the door, expecting to see everyone awake and laughing and playing stupid games. Instead, we found all of them asleep and a movie playing on her TV. We figured all the sounds were coming from the movie, so we went back to Danielle's room forgetting about night swimming altogether, just wanting to go to sleep after our late night adventure.

As we were laying there almost asleep we both heard laughing and splashing in the pool again. We ignored it at first, thinking it was the movie, and tried to go to sleep. But then we heard people talking and splashing. We couldn't make out what they were saying. Finally, we looked out the window and no one was there, so I volunteered to go back to Nathalie's room to turn the movie off so we would stop hearing things. When I got back to Danielle's room I crawled into bed and tried to go to sleep.

Again we heard splashing and laughing. Danielle asked me if I had turned the movie off and I said yes. So we looked out the window again and this time the pool lights were on so we thought the girls had woken up to go swimming. But by now we didn't want to go swimming and decided to just sit upstairs and talk to them through the window. What we both saw scared us to the end of our wits.

We saw water splashing and we heard laughing but no one was there, and then the pool lights turned off and it was pitch black. We couldn't see a thing. The motion activated light by the back door turned on and we could see wet footprints from the pool going into the house.

Still being optimistic (but scared) we thought maybe it was her little brother, Andrew, playing a trick on us so we went downstairs to try and catch him in the act. We hid behind the island in their kitchen, because it faces the back door, and waited for him to walk by, so we could jump up and scare him, but he never walked past. Then all the pots and pans on their pot rack began to shake and bang against each other. Her whole family came down the stairs, including Andrew and Nathalie and all her friends. The pots and pans immediately stopped moving and everything was silent. Her parents asked us what was wrong and we told them the whole story and they said it was probably just all the scary movies we had watched that was freaking us out. But we knew it wasn't.

We went back to bed somewhat shaken and tried to believe her parents and to just go to sleep. The rest of the night past incident free so we figured we had just imagined the whole thing. Until we went outside and all the backyard furniture was thrown around and all the pool toys were either in the pool or strewn about the yard. We all tried to clean up the mess so Marshy could go outside and do his business. But when everything was cleaned up Marshy REFUSED to even take a step outside. When we tried to pick him up to put him outside, he growled at us and tried to nip at us. Eventually we were able to get him outside and as soon as we closed the door he started to claw at the door and whine like crazy so we just let him back in. After that we took him on a walk in the park and my parents came to pick me up.

If anyone could explain to me what this could be I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jesyka1234, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jesyka1234 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-10)
AzraelX Yes, there is a neighbor with a pool; but they are an elderly couple and I highly doubt that they would be out an about splashing and laughing at 12:00 midnight. But thank you for your input it is a very plausible explanation, for the most part, about what happened that night.
Marquisinator (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-13)
I agree, I strongly think that the pots and pans being thrown were poltergeist and the pool could have been residuals.
CrystalLeo (27 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-11)
Hmmmmmm, this is a really interesting story.
The residual Imprints sound like a very plausible explination of the swimming pool.

But to me it seems like it was the entity's doing. The experience with the pots and pans and everything outside being thrown around. It does certainly sound like something a poltergeist would do. Even though I have no experience with one.

Please let us know if there was anything else that might have happened in your cousin's house. We might be able te get more detail that way.
All the best wishes!
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-11)
Is there any other houses next door to your cousin's house, with a swimming pool, by any chance?
Tracie1975 (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-10)
great story Jesyka, very creepy, wish I could help with an explanation but I can't. Best of luck to you and your friend, let us know if she has any other experiences at her house.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-10)
Well, this an interesting story. 😁
There are elements of this experience that remind me of living residuals. The splashing and talking sounds a bit like past experiences being replayed. Living people can make residual imprints, and it happens more often than you might think.
There are also poltergeist-like occurrences. The pots banging and lawn furniture being thrown around sound like poltergeist activity, and with you all being young a poltergeist is a possibility.
I'm sorry I can't offer a solid opinion on what caused all the activity.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: