You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Cats Are Out

Real Ghost Stories

Cats Are Out

 

Shortly after my wife and I were married, I got reassigned to Mather Air Force Base in Rancho Cordova, California (the base has since closed and is now used by the local community). We rented an upstairs apartment in a complex close to the base and was a decent place to rent and live life with little to no spending cash. We wanted the upstairs due to the security of being inaccessible through a ground level window or having the front door so easily gotten to. So we felt very secure there.

We had two cats as our 'children,' Opie and Boomer. Both were extremely hyper cats and had to be closed in one of the bedrooms to keep them from destroying the apartment while we were gone.

The doors in the apartment were all slightly warped to where a person would have to push or pull the door in at the middle for the latch to fully engage in the frame's latch hole.

One evening my wife and I went out to eat. Prior to leaving, we put up our kitties in their room, pushing the door in the middle, as always, to fully engage the latch. Upon returning, we were talking, meandering around, petting the kitties... Petting the kitties!

As soon as we realized the cats were out, my wife pushed her chair up against the wall and whispered loudly, "The cats are out, check the rooms!"

I went throughout the place, nothing. When I checked the door, the door was closed fully, just like we leave the doors when we close them.

There was no explanation other than the cats just happened to be on the other side of the door. We left it at that.

There would be other events in the same apartment that would prove the apartment had bad spirits, tricksters. This was just the first of several incidents that convinced us that the place was occupied by others that didn't pay rent, spiritual free loaders!

Other hauntings by Walks_on_Clouds

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Walks_on_Clouds, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-18)
Interesting, would love to hear more accounts regarding these tricksters that shared the home with you. Spiritual Free Loaders! I am loving that phrase lol.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-02-17)
Well, I'd suggest maybe they opened the door themselves (my cat can with certain doors) but the fact that it was closed nixes that idea. Perhaps with the telling of your other incidents, it will be clearer as to why you believe a spirit might have let them out.
ignitingmemories (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-16)
mm scary. Are you shure the door was properly closed, because that can be the case also. I have a dog named Sammy but I don't let him in the house (barks to much)
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-14)
Hi Walks_on_Clouds, this is the obvious question, but are you and your wife certain the cats were in the bedroom when you closed the door and left? I have cats, and I am more than aware how fast and sneaky they can be. I often think I have won the battle to boot them out for the night when I am going to bed, just to turn around and find them sitting on the chair behind me.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: