You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: A Gift From My Mother?

Real Ghost Stories

A Gift From My Mother?

 

My Mother passed away on January 5, 2011. Since the day she passed I stay just about every night with my Dad because at his age (he's almost 80) he doesn't like to stay alone. I sleep on the couch in the living room. His bedroom is on the first floor too. The bathroom separates his bedroom from the living room (my new bedroom).

Around 2 am on Feb. 06 I became very ill. I was suffering from the worst stomach bug I have had in years. The symptom were so severe that I called the rescue squad and was taken to the local hospital. I was there for a few hours and was given some IV fluids and Zofran to stop the vomiting. Around 8 a.m. I was released and my Dad took me back to his house. I slept all day and night on his couch.

The next morning around 8 am, I awoke feeling 10 times better but sore. There is a picture window above the couch and when laying on the couch you can look into the sky. I was lying there looking at the sunlight on the tree branches and I thought to myself, "All the years I lived here I never noticed how something so simple could be so beautiful."

While I was thinking this I saw a white mist form around the branches. It was wispy, almost like a feather. I sat up trying to figure out what I was seeing. This white feather like thing took off over the house and out of my immediate sight. I stood up on the couch and panicked. I wanted to run outside and see what it was but I was afraid by the time I got my shoes on it would be gone. I looked back out the window and there it was! Heading toward the tree line located at the end of our property and directly across from the picture window was what looked like a woman. She had long, shoulder length brown hair. She had on a white robe with a dark silver band girded around the chest. Black soles on the feet as if I was looking at the bottom of a pair of sandals. No wings. The woman looked at me and then looked ahead. As she got closer to the top of the tree line all I could see was a bright light and then she was gone. I was shocked! I thought I was losing my mind. I kept saying to myself, "Did that just happen?"

My Dad was still in his bedroom and thought I was still asleep. I got up and got dressed. I went and told my Dad that I was feeling better. We walked into the kitchen and on the window sill there was a picture. An 8 x 10 photo of my Mom and Dad's wedding day in 1976. When I looked at my Mom standing there with her long, shoulder length brown hair I realized that who I had just seen was my Mother. I asked Dad why the picture was there. It's an odd place to have a picture. He said he found it under some papers on the dryer and put it there so when he looked out the window he could see my Mom.

How funny was it that I had just looked out the window and seen who I am sure was my Mom! You see, my Mom's dying wish was that my Dad would be O.K. She worried that my Dad would pass soon after her from grieving. I promised my Mom 2 weeks prior to her death that I would do everything possible to take care of him. Anything he needed or wanted, I would provide. I kept my promise.

I believe my Mother (who passed in the home) wasn't ready to leave until she knew for certain that my Dad would be O.K. I believe she was able to find peace and move on knowing that he was taken care of and I think my being able to see her and pretty much say my final good-bye was a gift from her to me as a Thank You. This experience has brought me closer to God for he can do miracles if you believe.

Other hauntings by shhh_im_sleeping

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shhh_im_sleeping, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Gargoyle (51 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-20)
Sorry for your loss but what a lovely account... This will stay with me for a while and is going into my favourites.
I lost my Father a few years ago and would love something like this to happen as I'm sure others would. You really have been given a gift.

Gargoyle
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-19)
By the way, you shouldn't drink wine and read these stories unless you need a really clensing emotional expierience. ❤
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-19)
That was so beautifull! You have such a sweet family, and I love your stories about them. My condolences for your loss, only you've gained. Thankyou so much.
ignitingmemories (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-16)
im sorry for your lost: (x
I lost my son when he was around three months old

So I (almost) know how it feels
shhh_im_sleeping (14 stories) (62 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-16)
Thank you all. My Father and I were falling ill from grieving and I think seeing her for the last time was what I needed to keep going... And she knew that:)
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-02-15)
Dear shhh,
First, I'm sorry about the loss of your Mom. However, it was fortunate that you were able to move in with your dad and care for him afterwards. Now, there are those who might suggest that your illness, coupled with your own grief made you a bit hallucinatory, and you only imagined what you saw. I say horse feathers to that! You received a beautiful, glorious gift from your mom - one to be treasured. Hang tight to it.
Thanks for sharing such a sweet experience.
namrat (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-15)
These things may sound irrelevant but they happen. Its really good that you have kept your promise made to your mum and one can say that she is at peace now. May her soul rest in eternal peace! Nice story full of emotions!
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-15)
What a beautiful story. It sounds like your mom was there long enough to make sure you were ok, being sick and all. Sounds like you were too sick to look after your dad.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: