You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Parents' House Was Haunted

Real Ghost Stories

My Parents' House Was Haunted

 

One night I was taking a hot shower and had the bathroom window which was above the tub open a little to get some steam out. There was fresh fallen snow and as I turned off the water, I heard crunching in the snow. I looked out of the window and there was a teenage boy running through our backyard with only a denim jacket instead of a coat. I dried off and got into my pajamas quickly and went in the kitchen and told my parents. My father went outside with a flashlight to see who it may be and came in very pale. My mother and I asked him what was wrong he told us there were no footprints in the snow. Knowing I would not make such a thing up, my mother told me I saw my first ghost.

I had never been afraid of my basement when I was young but gradually, as I got closer to my 20's, I started to feel uneasy down there, as if someone was watching me and didn't like me. My sisters got the same feeling as did my mother. My brother and father didn't feel anything.

At the time my mother became a member of a psychic group and encouraged me to join. Basically the leaders of the group were teaching us how to meditate and bring out our gifts. To make a long story short, we had a ghost hunt at the house and the spirit in the basement didn't like women... Especially me. One night my sister and her friend were at the house, nobody else but me. I went to the basement to do a load of laundry and as I was going up the steps I felt the spirit watching as I got to the top of the stairs I couldn't open the door. The only lock was a flimsy sliding one that was put up because I was a sleepwalker a few years before and had walked into the basement. I put my shoulder into it and couldn't get it open it. I felt something approaching so I slammed my body into the flimsy plywood door with a frame and it felt like I hit a brick wall. Finally I said, "God, please help me" and the door opened when I turned the knob. I thought my sister and her friend were playing a trick on me but I would have heard them laughing and running away. They were outside having a cigarette and my sister's friend was freaked out when I told them what happened.

My sister started a "band" with a friend of mine and a friend of his. They would practice in our basement. One night they were practicing and, as usual, I would hang out with them. We went upstairs to take a break and my mother and I told the boys about the ghost in the basement. The guys were like yeah right. When they went back downstairs to continue to practice they came running back up the stairs. When we asked them what was wrong they said that all the instruments had been moved and they weren't going back down to pack up unless I went with them. They packed up and didn't practice in our basement again.

The house was still haunted. My son WhiteWolf spent the night there several times and each time he was touched. Years ago we were told that our house was a window for spirits to come into and leave this realm. It kind of makes sense as we had an underground stream under the back of the house and plenty of quartz crystals in the yard.

After my parents died my younger sister lived in the house until the county was going to take it for non-payment of taxes. She did a short sale and the man who bought it renovated it to flip it. I have no idea if he knows it's haunted because my sister never told him and I never met him to tell him.

Sorry for this being so long but I hope that you enjoyed my story.

Regards

RedWolf

Other hauntings by RedWolf

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RedWolf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Marquisinator (13 posts)
 
6 years ago (2017-11-11)
Its late for this now, but sorry Red Wolf, I was thirteen and stupid. I was over eager to relate to some else. I didn't mean to upset you.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
Hi Redwolf, thanks for your reply. I always like hearing simple stories like that, in a way I find them more fascinating than the hollywoodesc ones you sometimes read.

I do wonder about the senses animals have. I know it is a commonly discussed topic, but in this case it seems your dog alerted your mum to the spirits who were not even in the house, or in the front yard (I'm assuming you had one with the front gate comment.) Either their energies were very strong, or your dog, or any dog for that matter, have a very strong sense indeed.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
Griff84
There have been other experiences when I was little. One tme our dog got all stiff and was low growlling. My mother looked out the front window and saw a couple dressed in '20s clothes walking in frront of the house but as they reached our gate they disappeared. This has been witnessed by other neighbors around the same time.
basilisk193 (35 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-03-10)
I remember that quartz repel demonic spirits, and underground stream suggests existence of a portal. It might be the quartz in the backyard that keep the activity low all those years. Good and neutral ghosts don't bother to show themselves to humans.
I think your basement spirit is the slightly negative trickster type. So not really anything to worry about.
One thing that catch trickster spirits' attention really well is mentioning them in a conversation, they love being the center of everything. This spirit could have been the boy in the backyard you saw and decided to stay because he know you saw him.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-10)
[at] Redwolf, with the house being a window for the spirits, did you find the house to have hugely fluctuating vibes / feelings as the different spirits passed through? You never know, one could have been passing through, and decided your basement was an ideal spot to se up home. I too would be very curious to find out if there has been heightened activity since the 'remodelling'.

I am also curious as to the items you found, obviously they could just be a coincidental find, but then again maybe not. Do you have any sort of feeling from them when you found them, or anytime since?
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-10)
RedWolf: Interesting accounts, I have heard a fair bit regarding the presence of flowing water and quarts and also limestone being a spiritual magnet and energy source for them to draw upon. With this established it is no wonder you were experincing these events, actually I'm surprised more wasn't witnessed, like you mentioned your house was a window for spirits. I wonder how the man and the house are going now? Thanks for sharing.

Dan
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-10)
spiritwaiting,lady-glow,swimsinfire
Thanks for reading. I actually saw another spirit of a little boy but he was not fully visible. My friend and I stopped by my house for a minute for me to get some money out of my room. As we were ready to leave I gave the living room the once over to make sure my cat was there. I saw her then I saw the little boy trying to touch some of my mothers ceramics. He had been standing on a chair. I told him to get down and get away from there. He got down and ran right by my friend and I to go upstairs. My friend felt a cold breeze go by her on an 80 degree day. She looked at me quizically and I just said oh that was just a little ghost boy that ran by to go upstairs after I told him to get away from the ceramics on the shelf. She thought I was talking to one of my animals and she ran out of the house. I can imagine whoever bought the house doing the same if the basement spirit or any other decides to make themselves known, unless they moved on when my sister left.

Spiritwaiting,
Thanks I'm feeling better. The tooth had to be pulled to get the infection out, but I'm sure the prior week didn't help. Despite getting a flu shot I got the flu.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-10)
[at] Griff84
There is no way of knowing for sure where this spirit came from. I found a couple of things, one was an old pocket watch under a pine tree I played under as a child. The other thing I found was a railroad spike. I did not live that far from the train tracks so maybe he worked for the Railroad.
We were told that the house is a window for the spirits to come and go through. Which kind of makes sense because there is an underground stream running under one corner of the house and a lot of quartz crystal in the yard. I've driven by the house once since the completion of the renovations and the new owners moving in but nobody was home.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-08)
Marquisinator, Sleep peralysis is when someone is asleep and they suddenly wake up and can only move parts of their bodies. Your mom may have had insomnia due to lack of sleep as you stated"as it got so bad she couldn't sleep." This has nothing to do with Redwolfs religious back ground. Redwolf knew their was a spirit in the home, as did her family. [at] Redwolf, I hope you feel better soon, I know dentist visits are hardly ever good experiences. Thanks for the awesome experience.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+5
10 years ago (2014-03-05)
And why does everyone love the word sleep paralysis? It seems to cause anything. Sleep paralysis causes dreams, it causes waking, it causes eating, oh yeah it causes catatonic fits 😆, it may cause serosis of the liver, and tooth decay! For sure it causes those chips you get in your fingernails.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-05)
Yup, Redwolf hands down has the coolest family ever! Just awesome that two-no three generations of family encourages each other to broaden their vission. Thanks muchley for all your stories.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-05)
Marquisinator,
First of all how is your comment going to help me. As I said the house was sold. Secondly nothing felt demonic just malevolent. HUGE DIFFERENCE. Third telling me to do more religious activities is against the rules. I am not religious. I believe in God but nature is my church. So please don't preach to me over what more than likely a dream your mother had.

I'm sorry I haven't replied to anyone else as I had an an abscess in my face for a week and had the tooth pulled today. WhiteWolf told me about the post so I had to reply to him/her. I will read the other posts in a day or two when I am feeling better.
Marquisinator (13 posts)
-3
10 years ago (2014-03-04)
One thing I can link it to is my mom would have sleep paralysis every day when she slept (she worked night shift) and it got so bad that she couldn't sleep she told me. Then it had gotten worse (my brother sleeps with her) ,because she said it felt like reality, but she was in bed with my brother and my brother turned around and was laughing, my mom said that he had a demonic face and that it was awful and felt real. I would barely here her, but would shake her out of it.
You should maybe do more religious activities as this helped her.
Best Wishes.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
Ugh, RedWolf! I came to check YGS trying to forget about the 6 inches of fresh snow we got last night and had to read about snow on your story! 😆
But it's a good reading, I wonder if the ghost is still there haunting a poor woman every time she has to do the laundry.
WhiteWolf (4 stories) (147 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
I did a ghost hunt with my sister, Aunt and her 2 children in the basement of the house as well, I had an old tape recorder and my one little cousin used her phone to record EVP's we did two EVP sessions the first time we did not catch anything because my aunts pet rat would not stop making noise, the second session I got an EVP of a little boy making a drumming noise and saying "I want to play with that" meaning the recorder, The next day I found out that the rat that was making the noise died overnight.

I slept over the house which was a month or so after the ghost hunt, my little cousins wanted to do another ghost hunt which I said no to since I did not want to cause more spirits to come into the house, we watched a Disney film which we started to watch around 1:00am and the film did not end until 3:00am so when I said I was tired my aunt made my little cousins leave the room since they were being loud and an hour after they left I started to drift off but started to feel something play with my feet which freaked me out because my aunt owns a carpet python and thought it got out so I looked and it was still in its enclosure and both of my little cousins were dead asleep in the other room, Since I am not afraid of spirits I just went to sleep asking the spirit not to bug me which it did not do for the rest of the time that I was there.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
Redwolf, You defnitely were brave to actually continue to go down there by yourself. It would have been exciting to actually witness a full apparition. I have never, just shadows etc. Great experience and thanks I enjoyed reading this.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-03)
Hi RedWolf, Did you ever find out any further information as to who this spirit was or could have been?, and if was connected to the house or had 'just turned up' and decided to stay? Its strange as you started to get older, the negative feeling came, either your senses became greater the older you got, or this entity was not there until later.

I find it funny that your sisters band mates were sceptical, and this spirit had to let them know he was there, almost like it would use the fear maybe, or had to prove a point? Who know.

I enjoyed reading this, thank you 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: