You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Albert Street Haunting

Real Ghost Stories

Albert Street Haunting

 

My name is Ami, I'm 22 and would like to firstly apologize for the length of my story. So my story begins when I was 17, I had decided to leave home and go live with my partner as I had recently found out we were expecting our first child. We rented a small bedsit in Sunderland for six months while we saved to rent a house straight opposite my mum back in our home town of Seaham. At eight months pregnant we had finally moved into our new house and the day we moved in is the day things began to happen.

As we were just starting out we didn't have a lot of furniture, in fact most of it was baby furniture lol. My dad and partner decided to put all the baby furniture up (ready for my son when he was born) in the back bedroom while I, being huge and weak at the time, got busy unpacking ornaments downstairs. I started to put the ornaments onto the fireplace that was in the living room. As I placed the main ornament on the fireplace I heard a huge bang from upstairs so went up to see if everything was ok. When I got there I found my partner putting the baby's cot up and my dad pushing a huge oak chest of drawers across the room into the far corner. I jokingly asked what they had broke that caused the huge bang and they both just looked at me like I'd gone mad. They hadn't heard it. I just assumed something had fell and didn't bother to go look.

Like I said we didn't have much, just basics, so within a few hours everything was sorted. Around 9pm I decided a bath and a take away was the plan so off I went. To get upstairs we had 4 open stairs in the dining room and once you were up them you had to turn left and climb the rest and at the top was just a wall. To the left was a step into the bathroom and to the right was a step up to long corridor (about 20ft) with my bedroom door right at the end facing towards the bathroom and my son's door right by the opening of the corridor. It had no windows and only one light switch which was outside the bathroom door.

As I got to the top I looked down the corridor and immediately felt uneasy, in fact I'd say scared. I put the corridor light on and went off for my bath. While I was in the bath I heard footsteps around outside the door, then what sounded like furniture being moved about. I assumed it was Kev, my partner, rearranging things. It went quiet after about 20 minutes. When I came out the bathroom the hallway light was off. I went downstairs and continued the night as planned.

Around midnight we decided it was time to hit the hay. Kev was in front of me going up the stairs. He put the hall light on and just stopped and looked confused, then asked me why I had moved stuff. I got to the top to see what he was talking about to find the heavy oak drawers my dad pushed into the far corner of my son's room was now in the the hallway, on its side with boxes piled ontop, the bedroom doors wide open and right above the upturned drawers the loft hatch was open. I told him that I obviously hadn't done it, being 8 months pregnant I barely had the strength to lift a pint of milk, never mind drag oak drawers and boxes out and get up to the loft.

A few weeks passed before anything else happened, then things started to move, specifically cups of tea. I know it sounds silly and people often misplace things and at first I thought it was baby brain. I'd have a drink, put it down then a few hours later find it in random places, in the bedroom, in the garden, on top of the fridge. I assumed I'd just put it there and forgot, then it started happening to Kev as well.

In January I finally had our son Mathew. The day we came home the first thing Kev did was put the kettle on to find all the cups and tea bags had gone. He looked around downstairs and couldn't find them. He then went upstairs to find in the hallway all the cups lined up perfectly, with a tea bag in each of them and the rest of the tea bags scattered across the the floor. Nobody had been in the house for two days. Although it sounds silly and like a kid playing a prank, the feelings we got from it made me feel scared.

That night we got the baby settled and had a well deserved early night. Early hours in the morning I woke up thinking Mathew was crying and sat up, looked over to his cot which was at the bottom of my bed and saw an old woman walking towards him. Although I wasn't scared, I was frozen. I couldn't move or make a sound, all I could do was watch as she walked towards him and leaned right into his cot as if she was giving him a kiss. Then she walked over by the door, turned to me and smiled, like she was proud, then she left. As soon as she was gone I was able to move and I ran over to check on him and he was fast asleep and fine.

In the morning when I thought about it I assumed I had dreamt the whole thing and didn't say anything. A few days later we were visiting Kev's mother when she showed me a photograph of Kev's great gran and she was the same woman from my bedroom. I blurted out what had happened and Kev's mum started laughing. She didn't believe me until I mentioned a grey cardigan and red slippers she had on and her face went straight. She couldn't believe it was her gran. Ada had died around 20 years before I was even born so I couldn't have possibly known about her, even Kev had never met her.

Over the next few months not a lot happened other then noises, bangs and footsteps. Sometimes things would move and quite regularly there'd be a thick mist in different parts of the house. Sometimes we'd catch a dark figure from the corner of our eyes, particularly on the stairs or in our bedroom.

Then one night my mum was babysitting and we decided to open a bottle of wine and have a cozy night infront of the TV when we heard voices upstairs. The first reaction was to protect ourselves and investigate. I ran and grabbed a fire poker. Kev, on the other hand, ran to the kitchen in the dark, thought he'd grabbed the handle of a knife but instead had picked up... A potato masher! So not only did we feel ridiculous when we got upstairs to find we'd chased thin air but we looked ridiculous trying to attack a "ghost" with a fire poker and a potato masher lol.

Kev had decided to use the sound recorder on his phone. He put it on record and left it on in the hallway and we went back downstairs. Around 30 minutes later he went and collected it and played it back and to this day, even thinking about it gives me shivers. It was like they wanted us to hear. At first all we heard was what sounded like children laughing and playing and then a man scolding them and it went quiet for a few minutes, then an enraged argument between a man and woman, shouting and crying and it was really unnerving listening, then just before the tape cut out a different women screamed, "This is my f*****g house! Get out!" Safe to say we did not go back upstairs that night.

A few days after the recording me and Kev had been suffering terrible nightmares which were very similar. It was like we were watching through someone else's eyes, watching people arguing and hurting each other/ I can't remember exactly what happened as this was around six years ago now back in 2009, but I remember waking up feeling terrified and felt drained quite alot. Then suddenly, after around a month, they stopped for me but Kev's nightmares continued. He didn't tell me until we'd been moved out for maybe about a year that he'd started having nightmares about Mathew being hurt when we lived there. I suppose he didn't want to worry me.

Anyway in the run up to our first family Christmas, Kev's little sister, who was 13 at the time, came to stay with us for a few weeks because we didn't get to see her very often. We told her nothing of what had happened in the house, we didn't want her to be scared. She went to bed around 10pm on the first night. Within an hour she was crying and shaking, refusing to go back into the bedroom over the three weeks she stayed. She never told us what happened and to this day won't speak of it. All we know is whatever happened it had to of been really bad for her to be in that state.

A few days later me and Gemma, Kev's sister, had decided we were going to bake cakes and cookies and such. We'd just got back home from buying the ingredients, we were laughing and joking, making fun of Kev as we took the stuff to the kitchen. I opened the door and we both just froze. As I'd opened the door we both saw a girl stood in the kitchen. We were completely stunned, but for me the most shocking part of it was the girl looked just as shocked to see us standing there as we were to see her. I have no idea who she was or what she was doing in the kitchen, but the look of shock on her face still gets me. She looked to be around the same age as Gemma at the time, I'd say no older then 15, had her hair tied in a neat ponytail and was wearing a plain navy blue dress. That's all I remember of her.

Just after New Year I got up one morning, was getting dressed and Kev noticed I had bruises down my back and across the back of my legs. He demanded I tell him where they came from but I couldn't say, I didn't even know I had them until he mentioned them. Kev got out of bed and noticed he had bruises on his arms and shoulder. He just got dressed and walked out without saying a word and looked quite angry. A few hours later he returned, told me he'd put a deposit down on a new house and a few days later we left.

That house has since been converted into two apartments and nobody has stayed in either of them for more then a few months since. Although we moved house several times since that house, we still get the random thick mist. It's not threatening and we've accepted it.

The reason I came on here is because my son Mathew (who's now 5) has started saying strange things. Things about that house he couldn't possibly know or even remember as we moved a few weeks before he turned 1, and his little brother Joseph who is 2 is also being affected now too, Would anyone know what to do about it? Or have any advice? I'd really appreciate it as I'm starting to think that maybe whatever it was has come with us and is suddenly resurfacing.

Thanks for taking the time to read. Alot more happened in that house then this but it would make it far too long to read lol. All I can say is the time we spent in that house was hell.

Other hauntings by missy-ryton

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, missy-ryton, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Rhirhi (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-30)
This reminds me a lot about my old house I was a little kid though and the house my mom lives In now is creepy like that two except things aren't that mean...
Gemzxxx (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-02)
Hi Missy Ryton.
Girl, your stories are absolutely amazing/scary/awesome/terrifying! I've only read two so far and OMG! Reading about the recording had all my hairs standing on end. There's not much advice I can give to you, as most comments have already given the advice that I would have.
The only thing I would say is, have you tried contacting a psychic/medium? A friend of mine is very good, but that is the problem, finding a good, genuine psychic.
You can try finding her on FaceBook if you like. Her name is Delyth Mosey and lives in South Wales. If you like, I can get you in touch with her. I do have another friend who is also a very good psychic (I am very privileged to know these women), but she doesn't really do readings that often any more. Delyth on the other hand does readings on a day to day basis. She's very friendly and will do all in her power to help you I promise.
Just let me know if you can't find her on FB, and I will help you get in touch with her x
kayandkeeks (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-15)
Im having difficulty even finding the home on google never mind any history, really hope you find something, just be careful, something is telling me the man was rather abusive to his wife and daughter
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-15)
"On the 22nd May 1899, Joseph Pickles was swept of the pier at Seaham Harbour by a huge wave, there being a very rough sea on. Futter swam out, but was unable to bring him in, and he was drowned." So that's definitely not her.

Can't seem to find anything on Gladys Clark or J.R. Weighill at the moment. 😕 Grr. I'll dig in some more later.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-14)
First name I dug into was Caroline Winter.
Http://www.east-durham.co.uk/imag/#

Her middle name was Edith. Her parents were James Winter (b 1835, d. 1890) and Jane Anne Lister (b.1840, d. 1924), who had nine other children, all of which passed away in adulthood.

Working through the rest of the list...
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-14)
That's a great find, daboiflip! I tried running the terms "Seaham", "Albert Street", and "murder" through the google new archive search engine and pulled up exactly the same link, but nothing else. I'm going to run a few searches in some other databases as well. I've been trying to look into another YGS member's household history (specifically, trying to find the old phone number for that house). Finding information on these things can be so tricky.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-14)
daboiflip - Wow, good work, there certainly would be enough energy there to imprint a residual footprint. They were such brutal times...

Thank you for finding and posting that link, its very interesting.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-14)
Thanks missy-ryton

Your problem is really big... I am understanding your pain. Please find any solution as soon as possible because they can hurt the little boy as well as both of you. Regards 😢
daboiflip (2 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-14)
sorry to post twice but after reading my post I saw it linked to an Australian newspaper but then I viewed another site I originally got it from which is from the UK so maybe it got mixed up and post on to the wrong site this was the other site detailing certain events in that area http://www.east-durham.co.uk/genealogy/accidents.htm
Hope iv helped in some way and hope you can find the strength to stay strong for your boys and get through this
daboiflip (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-14)
Hey missy-ryton
Not sure if this is your man and girl but its adds up with similar events and was in the same street hope it helps you bring this to a close or at minimum move on along with this girl
Http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/31179240
missy-ryton (5 stories) (13 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-14)
Hey guys, Thanks for the comments/advice. First to Sheetal, I have many times tried to find out about the history of the house, I have looked online, been down the council offices to see if they knew anything and even asked the neighbors if they knew anything and all I found out was stuff I already knew, the house was built for minors and their families and because of mining jobs coming and going it was occupied by a lot of families. After the mines closed the house went to local authority for a while then someone bought it and it's been private rented ever since and was remodeled in early 2010 into two apartments and both are up for rent at the minute. Your welcome to check it out yourself see if you can find something I didn't, the address is 18 Albert street Seaham.

The questions about the girl in the kitchen, there's nothing else I can really say about her, we only saw her that one time. The only other information I can say is she looked solid, like a living person was stood there except she was quite pale. Me and Gemma just stood there with our mouths hanging open looking at her, then we looked at each other to see if we were both seeing the same thing and when we looked back she was gone.

A lot more went on in that house than this, i'm going to post the rest of it at a later date.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-03-14)
My first question is why you are not trying to get any answer about this happening? Just go to history of home.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-14)
Re-reading this story after reading your newer story, I have come up with a hypothesis. Because it all came together in my mind.

The little girl obviously died young. The fights are a residual energy. She's scared of a bad man, but his presence isn't very strong.

I bet that the residual energy in your new home... Is her memories. They are a part of her. So she, though a ghost, is being haunted. The residual energies in the old home, however, were influencing you and your husband, and were even recorded on your phone.

It seems possible that her parents had a very volatile relationship. That fight could have been them. Imagining my grandparents, I'm thinking perhaps they were raging alcoholics who beat each other and their daughter (s) up. And one day, in their anger, beat her enough that she died. Or the father, in a rage after being kicked out of his own house, returned with a gun and shot his wife, daughter (s) (Lucy + 15 year old girl) and himself (explaining the bang).

This would also explain why their affects were still in the loft. Any family members horrified by the incident would not be keen to go through the family items. Instead, they would rather let someone else purchase the property and scrub it, and sell everything as they see fit.

And it would explain why Lucy doesn't want to talk about herself, and why she's scared of this tall shadow of a man. In which case, the situation becomes more tricky than just removing the scary memory of hers by some sort of exorcism. The only way to remove it from your home would be either to a) exorcise her, or b) help her to process everything and move on.

There are many types of exorcisms and many beliefs regarding the moving of spirits. Banishing her could sent her back to the original house, and all this would start with a new family. Or it could send her into oblivion. It could ease her passage into a better afterlife. Or maybe it would condemn her to Hell. I don't know. There are so many beliefs about these things but personally, I feel great compassion for those who've lived troubled lives.

If she's being tortured by her past, I think dealing with this more from the side of psychology would be better. Maybe talk to her. Tell her you think you know what happened, and she doesn't have to be scared anymore. Tell her she's safe, and you won't let anyone hurt her. Tell the bad man, out loud, that he is not allowed in your home, and you are prepared to defend all those who dwell there. Tell him the past will not repeat itself, but that this time he must move on.

Upon hearing that, she might feel relief. The hauntings of her memories may disappate. And then slowly, you can urge her to move on into the afterlife, whatever that may be. But personally, I feel like a happier transition likely encourages them to find a happy place to be, if that makes sense.

I apologize for rambling. There's something about this girl that touches my heart, and I am not inclined to believe she is inherently evil.

The thing about your son saying "No, I won't stab mummy," honestly, I think may more have to do with the girl being abused by her parents. And since you and your partner woke up with bruises one day, you may have been influenced by the negative energies, and the little girl was worried that you two were going to abuse your son as well. Your partner had dreams about your son being hurt. That may also have been due to the residual energies and haunting memories. So her suggestion was that he protect himself.

Oh, and the loft hatch being open? I bet that was the little girl going upstairs to play with her favorite doll.

By leaving that home, you may have left behind some residual negative energies from her parents, but you still have to contend with her haunting memories. Her memories shouldn't influence you, I wouldn't think. But they certainly would influence her.

So now who's writing too much? 😉

I hope my hypothesis is useful. You have more information than the rest of us do, and I don't know what your beliefs are or if recent occurrences have been more extreme in nature. Primarily, you should do what's best for your family. But if you have that inquisitive mind and a compassionate heart, you might desire to get to know this ghost girl, so long as your family is safe. And I totally get that.

Many people would caution you and say "Just cleanse your home and be rid of it all," but not all of us are willing to do that. I don't think there's any particular "right choice" here. Do what you think is best. And again, please keep us updated. ❤
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-13)
Hi missy-ryton, I agree with all of the below. I would think the house was perhaps full of residual energy, I would think this with the voices and arguing. The get out my house line was probably part of the argument between two previous tenant as opposed to being aimed at you. But still scary nonetheless. The nightmares were probably created subconsciously out of the fear from what you were experiencing, and I'm guessing they subsided when you left. The bruises could have been from one of you when you are sleeping, again without realising.

The little girl is interesting, more conscious than residual, the initial activity with the moving of the draws and the tea cups seems very child like to me, and perhaps she had gotten used to not being seen, hense her surprised expression upon seeing you see her. I would like to know a little more about your experience with her as other have also said.

With regards to your children now, I believe BadJuuJuu is correct, little ears here EVERYTHING, and if Matthew was nearly one when you left, he would have been more than aware of his surroundings. Now that he is a little older, he could have seen something on TV, or heard you talking and it has triggered memories of his own perhaps? If what I believe is true, then the negative residual spirits of the house could not have followed you, and if the little girl has, then she was more childlike and playful than negative, so I would be suprised if its her.

I may be completely wrong, but these are just my thoughts. I really enjoyed reading your experience and look forward to your reply.

P.S I live in Newcastle, so just up the road 😊
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-12)
missy-ryton, I agree with kayandkeeks. The grey mist could possibly be thegrandmother visiting and watching over your children. You could have a possible attachment, but like BadJuuJuu said, the spirit would most likely have made its presense known in similar ways it was disturbing you in the last home. Its quite possible for a child to have memories from an age earlier than a year. Maybe your son remembers these, and is repeating the memories. As far as the girl, hmmm its puzzling. Have you brought anything into your home antique wise?
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-12)
Is it possible your son could have heard you or partner talking about the house, and is just repeating what he's heard about it? Kids hear a lot more than adults realize sometimes. Mundane possibilities have to be considered and ruled out before paranormal possibilities are considered.
You mention your sons being "affected," but not in what way. Are they experiencing activity similar to what happened in the old house? Different activity? Could you describe what is going on with them, to give us a better idea what advice may be helpful?
I'm hesitant to think the entity from the previous house followed you. If it had, I think it would have made itself known before now. Also, you mention no one stays in the apartments for long which implies activity is still happening there. Not to say something paranormal isn't happening with your family now, but there is a chance it isn't related to the old house. I think kayandkeeks makes a good point that the gray mist could be the grandmother. Ghosts can't always fully materialize, and sometimes a misty form is the best they can manage.
Shady4u (2 stories) (188 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-12)
Hello. I'm not sure if I'm right but I guess that if you meet up your respective religious representative for the purpose, it might help. Also, getting your sons blessed will be a good idea. I say this because I feel the spirit has somehow attached itself to Mathew, not trying to scare you, just ruling out the possibilities. Getting your home blessed and cleansed can be done as well. This whole thing seems like a poltergeist to me. I would like to know more about the girl you saw in the kitchen. Did she disappeared right in front of your eyes or did she ran off? I'm hoping a reply. Thank you.
-Shady.
kayandkeeks (1 stories) (8 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-12)
Safe to say I'm terrified so I can't imagine how you or your partner are feeling! I don't think the grandmother was wanting to cause any harm or anything, I believe she could possibly be the grey mist, but when you talk of the man and woman I get a strange image in my head of a tall dark haired man with fair skin, can't really get an image of the woman but I do imagine long brown hair, and in particular some bruising and injury to her face? Not sure what that could mean, I would consider getting a psychic or someone in to help you out as I think the male sounds like quite a hostile person, hope you get everything sorted! Thanks for a fantastic story!❤
Hahiha (28 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-12)
Muzzy-ryton,
I don't find this story too long, in fact I love long stories. Texting to the point could you explain what your sons have been saying? I get you might not want to say to protect them, but it might help.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: