You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: It Came as a Familiar

Real Ghost Stories

It Came as a Familiar

 

This experience happened to me back in the early nineties. I had been dating a girl that had at one time been involved in witchcraft and at the time I was living alone in an apartment. The apartment had hard wood floors throughout so you could definitely hear if someone else was walking in another room. I always had an eerie feeling like I was being watched but would dismiss it as much as possible.

One night I went to bed as usual having set my alarm clock for 6 am in order to get up for work. The alarm clock was facing the bed so I could see it at all times. A noise brought me out of a deep sleep and into a semiconscious state, enough for me to see the clock and know what time it was. It was exactly 1:01. And I remember thinking great! I have 5 more hours to sleep! I always sleep on my side in the fetal position and on this occasion my left hand was hanging off the bed.

At that instant I hear foot steps coming through the house sounding like my girlfriend's boots she always wore, getting closer and closer. Then whatever it was started speaking to me in her voice! Trying to convince me that it was her! I remember trying to move but I was completely paralyzed and could not. I spoke back saying "NO YOUR NOT!" It kept on until it finally reached my bed speaking sweetly in her voice. My bedroom door was closed so it had came right through it. I could still see the clock, keep in mind, but I could not see my uninvited guest. There was a brief moment of silence.

Then I started feeling the bed move behind me. And I said one more time, "YOU'RE NOT KELLY!" At that instant I felt hot breath on my ear and the voice changed from her voice into a man's and said "how did you know"? That's when I finally snapped out of it and jumped out bed nearly pissing myself and ran over to the light switch and turned it on. Along with every other one in house! There wasn't anything there. It had came and gone in a minute but what had seemed an eternity.

Like I said, the whole time I was desperately trying to move but was frozen in terror. Some people would simply say that it was just a dream. But I'm here to tell you that it was definitely NOT. Needless to say, shortly thereafter I stopped seeing her.

A few years later I had another experience that I will share at another time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ghosthost, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Somhairle (40 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-25)
Almost certainly a demon, you lucky thing I can't imagine what would happen if you had believed it.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-19)
Thank you Ghosthost. I love it when people actually take the time to answer our questions here without getting all defensive. Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Annie (202 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-19)
In my house, I have experienced all of the above. I found that the sleep paralysis to be the most frightening. I've heard my name called by someone, who I thought to be my husband, but wasn't. And the footsteps, I can also relate to. But, I think each happening was a different "being". I've also heard children in the middle of the night. It sounded like they were running through a field (in my mind) playing, laughing, and having a wonderful time. I later learned that the land that my house is built on was once all farm land that belonged to a house in my neighborhood. I have to agree with Shane, and Abby. I don't think this has anything to do with your ex-girlfriends dabbling in witch craft. I think it was just... Something you experienced. Good or bad, it happened. Hope you're now having happier times. Please, keep writing on your other happenings. Loved your story.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-19)
that story is truly terrifying, regardless of what brought it on or how the 'thing' manifested and knew to try to use your girlfriends voice , who knows but it is good that you were level headed enough to realize that it indeed was not her.

God Bless!
ghosthost (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-19)
Hey all, just wanted to say "thanks" for your response and input. First off I would like to answer Shane's question, I was very young then and really didn't understand a lot about such things. I think the point is actually about the company with whom you keep. Spiritually speaking, I believe that demons can "attach" themselves to a person and jump between people at will. I'm not suggesting that it was actually her fault. What I do believe is that it was an evil spirit making contact with someone who was mentally vulnerable. And to Meg, up to then I had never had anything like that happen. But in later years I had another experience very similar that I will share soon. And yes , that episode was the scariest thing I had ever encountered.
meg (2 stories) (19 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-19)
That story really freaked me out. I could picture it while I was reading it. You must have been scared hey? Has anything like it happened before? Looking forward to your next story.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-18)
Dear Ghosthost,

I agree with Shane. In my opinion, I do not sense that your ex-girlfriend's involvement in witchcraft had anything to do with your experience. I believe these are separate issues. It could be that you were in an altered dream state between being asleep and awake while out of your physical body. This is why you could see and perceive your physical surroundings. The more you experienced the fear within your altered state, the more you were paralyzed. As for the being or uninvited guest, it could have been from the other side or from your own inner emotions and personal fears. In the end, it is always up to you to decide what you feel you experienced.
--Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-18)
Ghosthost, I don't feel that your ex's participation in witchcraft had anything to do with your experience. I do believe you experienced something. It could have been sleep paralysis or it could have very well been paranormal. I don't really know as I was not there. I do however wonder how you came to the conclusion that the experience was brought on by your ex? Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: