You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: An Experience That Led Me To Believe In Ghosts

Real Ghost Stories

An Experience That Led Me To Believe In Ghosts

 

I was never a firm believer in ghosts or supernatural beings. I still kind of am not so fond of the thought but I'm willing to accept it more now after an experience I had about 3 years ago.

I have a cabin in St. Helen and me and my family spent many years there, basically where I grew up. I was always afraid of being in the woods at dark, though. Not because I thought there were ghosts and goblins, but because I was just never sure what I didn't know what was out there that I couldn't see.

Anyways, one weekend my best friend, sister and I took a trip up there to get away. I was 19 at the time and my dad left us some booze and beer from the weekend before. I was getting pretentious as I drank at the fire and began making myself out to be a stronger man than I really was. So they made a bet that I couldn't go to a desolate spot in the middle of the woods alone. But not just any spot. I'm sure many people from this area of Michigan know about the logging that used to occur there in the early 1900's.

There is a discrete spot where an old logging camp once was with a single gravesite and a candle that's said to always be burning. So they told me the next night, if I was still feeling like the tough man I thought I was, I would go to that grave alone and take a selfie by it. I agreed this was a good dare.

So the next night I drove there at nightfall and finally found it after about 45 minutes in the dark. I actually passed it several times because the candle was, in fact, not lit. This calmed me because I already knew there was nothing to be afraid of. It's nighttime in the woods, the only difference is the fact that the sun is not in the sky, and a bunch of cute raccoons are running about. Wrong. After I lit the candle, and took my selfie, I started heading back to my car.

Before I closed the door I thought I heard a man talking off in the distance. Immediately I got a strange feeling. It was DARK, too dark for someone to just be in the middle of the woods. Too scared to holler back and give my position, I started to make movement towards the sound direction. The partially cloud covered sky started to break up and the 3/4 moon began to display the contiguous white pine forest before me. I said to myself, "To hell with this, I'm leaving." And again, as I walked away, I heard a sound like a body falling out of a tree, a deep thump. This really freaked me out, but it was a feeling where I'd actually feel more comfortable if I knew than if I left. So I went back to where I heard the sound again. I saw a faint silhouette of a man walking around in circles. It was so strange and so unnerving, just walking about with NO sense of direction. His footsteps made no sound though. I was frozen in fear at that point. Despite my fear, I decided to shout out to the man and ask if he was okay. As soon as I said that, he ran to a tree in my direction and I think he punched it. At least that's what I thought because I immediately ran back to my car faster than Jessie Owens and before I got there I heard a high pitched sort of scream, it didn't sound human at all. I got in my car and disappeared.

I never told anyone about the incident because I simply wanted to forget it ever even happened. I still don't like thinking about it, but I feel more comfortable now. I don't know if it was paranormal or what. But I came to the conclusion that no man, with any sense at all would be in the middle of the woods, at that spot, alone, in the dark doing what that man or thing was doing.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Jacktea21, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

M1cr0b1al (3 stories) (38 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-02)
Very interesting! I wish you would have opened up to your sister and friend, though. I would have done that and brought them back there to investigate.
pjs1977 (2 stories) (48 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-23)
Jacktea that's one hell of a twisted story. I would of shiat my pants if I saw what you saw out there.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-22)
Hahaha I like Val's hypothetical story. It actually would make a lot of sense. Some other guy goes out there, alone, in the middle of the woods, in the dark, like a perfectly sane man would 😉, and then he witnesses this candle being lit. And then he sees a flash. He arrives at the spot and... There's no one there. But he hears footsteps and a creak in the distance. He mutters to himself "I gotta get out of here," and trips on a root while making his escape.

It's all quite so hilarious to consider. But in all fairness, in your shoes, I would have also been rather creeped out.
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-22)
perhaps a falling branch caused the thump (as many has said) and a local drunk out of his senses.
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-21)
Jacktea,
I guess we'll never know 100% for certain what it was you experienced. The thing to remember is you were there, and we weren't, so what you're getting is our best guesses of what possibly might have been. Darkness can be pretty unnerving for anyone. As you stated, it's the not knowing what else is out there that you can't see. It's possible that the figure you encountered was someone else also out on a dare. He may have saw you light the candle and called out as you were leaving. In the poor lighting he could have fallen over a root (the body hitting ground sound) and lost something in the fall (flashlight, glasses?). This would explain the walking in circles, and depending on the amount of debris on the woodland floor, the apparent absence of foot steps. For this scenario to work, I lean towards having lost his glasses 😊, because hearing you call out he may have headed towards the sound of your voice and crashed into the tree. Of course, this is all conjecture on my part. Something to give a 'logical' explanation to what you experienced. I've no way of really knowing what you saw. However I will say this, that night you were given a gift of sorts, the gift of being more open to the possibilities of what else might share our world.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-21)
Griff - LOL I was so caught up in my amusement that I neglected to mention the "thump". Where is my mind this morning? 😆

Jacktea - the thump you heard very well could have been a limb falling from a tree. In the daytime, a falling branch can be startling. At nighttime, it's very unnerving and can cause the mind to imagine all sorts of things.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-03-21)
Haha at Miracles51031, the line that made me smile was 'I actually passed it several times because the candle was, in fact, not lit.'...bloody false legends. 😆

Jacktea21, the sounds you heard could have been absolutely anything, your mind would have just twisted them and turned them into what ever it is that you fear whilst in the woods, alone in the dark. The figure you saw could possible have been a large animal, or even a trick of the light. I wouldn't have thought the 3/4 moonlight would have lit up the wood floor underneath the canopy too well. I could be wrong.

Thanks for your post 😊
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
10 years ago (2014-03-21)
Jacktea - I'm not going to say I don't believe you experienced what you did, but I find this sentence very humorous, all things considered, "But I came to the conclusion that no man, with any sense at all would be in the middle of the woods, at that spot, alone, in the dark..." After all, you were alone in the middle of the woods, in the dark 😉

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: