You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Last Strange Trip

Real Ghost Stories

The Last Strange Trip

 

Memory being what it is, I'd remembered the events of the Labor Day weekend of 1992, but it didn't occur to me to relate them here until now... A conversation with my sister-in-law about odd happenings brought them to mind.

As I said, it was the Friday starting the Labor Day weekend. At that point, I'd lived in Cleveland for about a year, and my friends Dave and Buddi often visited on the weekends. Generally, we'd take three or four camping trips over the summer, but for various reasons, we were unable to get away until Labor Day. It was a hot day, even for early September, and the four of us, Dave, Buddi, Buddi's friend Missy and myself were sweatily trudging along the trail leading toward our campsite, loaded with gear, with Doag, Dave's dog, romping alongside.

The first odd thing (of that trip, anyhow) happened as we were crossing an old field, with the treeline ahead of us. Doag, as was often his wont, raced ahead of us, nearly knocking me down as he barreled past me, disappearing into the woods ahead.

No sooner was the dog out of sight than... He came past again. He (just one of him, thankfully), was waiting for us at the campsite when we arrived.

We set up our campsite, gathered some wood, and had dinner. About the only strange thing that night was the sound of something circling just out of firelight, never there when we shined our flashlights in its direction.

The next day, Saturday, came the next oddity. It was about 2-something in the afternoon, and I went to get firewood. I followed the path I'd mentioned in a previous account, that lead to a large supply of deadfall. The path lead in a straight line from our campsite to the marshy stand of dead trees, about fifty yards or so- the trees were plainly visible from the campsite, and vice versa.

I picked up an armload of wood, from right in front of me, and turned around to return, when I noticed that the path was gone, and I couldn't see the campsite. Obviously, this concerned me a wee bit.

Not being exactly sure which way to go, I decided to walk in the direction directly behind me, as that WAS the way I'd come. I walked about thirty yards or so, when I heard sounds coming from my left... When I looked that way, I could see the campsite to my left, about twenty yards off. When I got back to the campsite, the path was where it was supposed to be.

That night, not only did we experience the unseen prowling something, but we were treated to small chunks of wood being lobbed at us from the darkness; Dave and I took flashlights and scouted in the direction they were coming from, but saw nothing. When we returned, Missy pointed out that the wood seemed to appear at the top of its arc, then fall toward us--it wasn't just the illumination of the fire. This went on for over an hour. Also, our flashlights repeatedly dimmed and brightened, even though they all had new batteries.

We left the next day; the girls weren't happy with the thought of spending another night there. Except for a couple of day hikes Dave and I made to the site, this was our last visit to the area.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

phenonw (1 stories) (32 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-16)
I agree with North Coast. Sounds like Bigfoot to me too.
Phenonwrestler [at] sbcglobal.net
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-07)
If you've read my other stories, then you know that this area has a strange history, much of which seens to be almost unclassifiable.

We spent many hours out in those woods between 1978 and 1992, both weekend camp-outs and day hikes, and we were familiar with the ordinary sounds and movements of the area-indeed, some of us had had experience camping there as Scouts, or with our families as children.

The things we experienced were definitely not ordinary... Unless you're talking about ordinary for that place.
UnicornAnonymous (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-04)
Interesting story but does have the possibility like others have said about natural causes to the manifestation

Thanks Ash
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-04)
Circling camp, throwing pieces of wood... Sounds like Sasquatch behavior to me!
twelveam (74 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-04)
I have heard about the disorientation thing happening as it did to you when you tried to return from gathering the wood. As I understand, certain places that are reportedly "STRANGE FEELING" to people have some odd environments about them, and by this I mean like high electromagnetic spikes out of nowhere and compasses going crazy, this place could be one of them but that's just a possibility. I go camping quite a bit, and the pieces of wood being thrown thing has happened to me before, and it turned out to be squirrels in the trees that are dropping whatevers growing on them because the squirrels are disturbing the branches as they move from limb to limb. I do know also, that those noises from "unseen sources" have been a common occurrence for me as well. I have a hard time seeing what can be making those noises as well, but what sounded like a noise that a bigger animal would make, would turn out to be a SMALL field mouse or chipmunk. I'm not saying you are wrong in any way, only offering some possibilities from experience. I know that when you are out in the wild and desolate places alone, noises tend to become amplified and could be perceived as paranormal because the source is unseen. I hope you find the answers to what you are wondering about, and please let us know if you do find anything new out. Any answer could enlighten us all! Take care and thanks for the chilly story! 😊 😉
nani1212 (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-04)
Wow that was scary I can't even imagine it. How did you sleep
Good luck
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-04)
I cannot imagine spending the night there. I have to give you credit. Did anyone actually sleep?
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-03)
Gosh, you never know what's going to happen in the woods. There's so much going on there. Couldn't hazard a guess, but I think you read the vibes right. Good story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: