You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Unexpected Visitors Part 1

Real Ghost Stories

Unexpected Visitors Part 1

 

This story takes place around 2009-2010. I can't remember the exact date, I'm terrible at remembering the dates of certain events in my life, so sorry I can't be more exact then that.

I was about 18 or 19 years old, and living with my then boyfriend Derek and our good friend Gabe. Gabe was seeing my long time friend Leeah at the time, so she would frequently sleep at our place.

During this time, Leeah had been involved with a paranormal investigation team from the area. She is, and has been from an early age, very sensitive to spirits and has the ability to see and talk with them, which is how she came to be a part of the group. They at the time were investigating a house in town called the Grinde House.

I don't personally know too terribly much about its history except for the basics. A man with the last name Grinde murdered his wife and children in the house, and then took his own life in the garage. This event took place about 20 or so years now, and ever since the house has been rumored to have a terrible energy in it, which is why the owner had the team come check it out.

Leeah had always told me about her investigation and told me about what she heard and felt in that place. She felt that there was something very dark and evil there, and when she was there and could feel the dark presence, she would hear a strange humming sound. She also believed there were less malevolent spirits in the house as well, but that this dark one was more powerful than the others.

One evening, Leeah, Gabe, Derek, our friend Travis, and I were hanging out at our apartment. Leeah and I both had to work the next morning so when it started to get a bit late we both said our goodnights and went into our respective bedrooms to lay down.

The way the apartment was laid out was like this: there was a large open main area that was split into a living room and a kitchen, and each bedroom doors were next to each other along the wall opposite the front door. In my bedroom, when you walk in and look to the right, at the end of the room was a walk-in closet. I loved that closet because it was huge and I often felt like it was my little hideaway when I needed somewhere to be alone. I always left the door to this closet open because it just felt like a part of the rest of the room. My bed was on the opposite side of the room and was facing towards the closet.

When I laid down to go to sleep, I was trying to get comfortable but couldn't stop feeling uneasy and felt like I was being watched. After a couple minutes of this, I mentally told myself to stop being silly and to open my eyes and take a quick look around the room to confirm to myself there was no one in the room so I could go to sleep. When I opened my eyes I saw in the doorway of my walk-in closet a large shadowy thing. I snapped my eyes shut and started panicking a little. After a minute or so I calmed myself down a bit and thought to myself maybe it was a shirt or something hanging on the door of the closet and that my eyes had played a trick on me and that I only thought I saw the giant shadowy person.

I gained enough courage to open my eyes again to double check. When I opened them, the shadow thing was still in the doorway, and this time there was another shorter shadow figure at the foot of my bed. I felt like they were both staring at me, but I didn't see a face on either of them. I was terrified and closed my eyes again, not moving out of fear of something happening.

While my eyes were closed I could see this gray face. It looked like a combination of a cat and a bird with large black eyes. I didn't know whether or not my mind was just making up this face but I felt like this is what the face of the large black shadow in the closet doorway was. I didn't dare speak or move even though I could hear Derek, Gabe, and Travis talking and laughing in the living room.

After a few moments I started to feel what I can only describe as a cold breath on my face. I felt like whatever it was in my doorway was right above me inches from my face, and I didn't know what to do. So after a moment I decided in a moment of bravery to quickly pull the blankets over my head and pulled my feet in close to my body.

I stayed frozen like this for a few long minutes, waiting to see if anything would happen. I felt a little more at ease like this but was still scared to make any noise. I finally decided to do something, so I reached quickly out if the blanket and grabbed my cellphone from my bedside table and again froze for a moment before making any more movements. I then proceeded to text Derek and ask him to come to bed.

After a minute or so I could hear him tell our other friends he was going to bed so I started to feel some relief. When he came into the room and turned on the light I uncovered my face and looked around the room. There were no more shadow people but what did scare me was that my closet door was now closed. I decided not to tell Derek what had happened and just go to bed.

There is more to this story but since it's already so long I'll write it in another entry.

Other hauntings by CMDF

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Dakota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CMDF, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kelseaa (1 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-06-29)
can anyone tell me where the grinde house is? I believe I live by it. Always heard stories as a kid but didn't believe it
CMDF (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-13)
Miracles - I think the team disbanded about a year after investigating the Grinde house. There were a few more investigations they did after that and I was fortunate enough to get to join in them because I have a knack for sensing energies, or at least I did. I buried a bit of that after the death of someone close to me and having them visit me after they had passed away. I may write about that particular experience soon.

Getting back on the subject however, I will be seeing Leeah tomorrow and I'll ask if she remembers any specific details about the house and investigation.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-04-10)
CMDF - oh dear Lord, how awful 😭 Thank you for looking, although that is so horrible I wish now I hadn't pressed the issue 😢

There would have to be so much left-over trauma in that house that the energy would be felt by many, some not even knowing what or why. That could explain why the team Leeah was with disbanded. So, so sad 😭
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-04-10)
CMDF - thanks for responding. Please don't think I don't believe your story. I do. I just found it interesting that I couldn't find anything about the murders. Things like that intrigue me LOL. If Leeah does know more about the Grinde House murders, you can update in the comments section of your story if you'd like 😊
CMDF (2 stories) (5 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-10)
Miracles - I just searched again and happened to actually find something this time! Google the name Gerald Norman Grinde. From what I gathered from the article snippets that popped up, it happened in December of 1994.
CMDF (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-10)
Miracles - I've actually tried to search for it too since the incident, but also came up with nothing. It happened a while back so its possible even further back than 20 years. I didn't move to this town until after it had happened. The town itself has a pretty strange history, lots of energy, and a lot of things that are kind of kept quiet which you wouldn't know of if you haven't been here for years or known people who ha e been here for years. I will ask Leeah if she remembers any more details than I do since she was a part of the investigation team.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-04-10)
CMDF - after reading this part of your story, I wasn't sure whether or not you thought Leeah had brought something to your home from her investigations at the Grinde House, which leads me to a couple of comments/questions.

Personally, I don't necessarily believe that investigating a haunted place means that the spirits there will latch onto someone and come home with them. I do, however, think people can convince themselves sometimes. On the flip side of this, I do think there are certain situations where this can happen. Thankfully it hasn't happened to me or any of my friends (that they've mentioned anyway).

I was curious about the Grinde House murders so I Googled it and couldn't find anything about it. I found something about a murder of a 19-yr-old girl that happened over 20 years ago, but nothing about a man killing his family and himself. I'm definitely not a Google-expert, so I could have just not found it. But, unless I missed the link for those murders, I am wondering if this girl's murder could have been exaggerated over the years and turned into an urban legend of sorts.

Anyway, whether there was one or three murders doesn't take away from what you experienced in your place.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-09)
CMDF- Thanks for your reply... I can understand 😊
Just take care of yourself
CMDF (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-09)
Sheetal- I don't know why I didn't scream or yell. I was pretty afraid to make any noise I guess. I had a few paranormal experiences growing up and I never really screamed when experiencing any of them. When I get freaked out I tend to be more quiet unless something lunges at me or grabs me.

Spiritgirl1998- thank you for the advice, this happened a few years ago and I don't live in the same place. My friend also isn't with any investigation group anymore. She actually holds meetings amd gatherings to help people get in touch with their spiritual energies now.
Spiritgirl1998 (6 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-09)
Hey, these ghosts or spirits (which ever you call them), are like the ones I have. Your friend Leeah is like me. I have the same gift as her. From what your telling me they're not trying to harm you. I believe they just are curious. That shorter shadow could be a child's spirit. The spirits of children are more curious and come towards people they feel they can trust; they mainly choose woman or teenage girls over 14; this is because they see them as a motherly figure.
Anyway, it could also be a family. I've had experiences with the spirits of passed families. Most of them has small children.

My advice to you is next time don't hide from them, especially from the child. You hiding from the child spirit makes them feel lonely and that could lead them to becoming a poltergeist just to get your attention.

Give my advice a try and tell me how it went. Just talk. You might just find you could have a protector in the future. 😁 😁
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-09)
Nice story... Sorry to ask you so straight & being rude but my question is why you didn't shout after seeing that thing? You text your friends instead of shouting. Your friend are in the house and Shouting is the first expression of every people after seeing such a strange thing.

Hope you can understood my question.

Regards, ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: