You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Childhood Bedroom - Gold Coast

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Childhood Bedroom - Gold Coast

 

I'm currently 20 years old now and I have always lived in the Gold Coast, Australia for my whole what I experienced stopped happening 10 years ago when I moved out the house located in Mermaid Waters in 2003. It doesn't seem to be a problem anymore, but I am very interested to hear what other people have to say about the situation.

When I was about 3 years old (1997), I moved into a stereotypical Mermaid Waters home at the time. It was obviously built in the 70's and I had a really big bedroom painted bright colours and got plenty of sunshine through the window, wouldn't exactly be the type of house you'd consider to be haunted.

From what can remember (because I was so young in the beginning, but as I got older the memories become very clear), I had always found it difficult to sleep at night there. I would toss and turn for literally hours on end to fall asleep. Every night I had trouble, it didn't matter how tired I was. I always felt uncomfortable, like something wasn't right. There were some nights (which occurred all the time) where I would see someone wondering my room, who would just appear out of nowhere by my bedside.

The person looked like she had just come out of the shower or bath. At first I believed it was my mum as it was a female adult, with a dark green towel wrapped around her head (my parents used a dark green towels in their ensuite). I could see she had red hair poking from underneath the towel (my mum had red hair for the first year or two we lived there) and she wore a mint green dressing gown (my mum owned a mint green dressing gown for most of the time we lived there).

That's where the similarities end though. She glowed a bright light, and I could never see her feet as she faded down after the knees and she looked like she was floating and hovering not far from the ground. I remember I would ask her, "Mum, is that you?" but she wouldn't even look at me. She would keep a blank face and wander around before heading down the hallway, passing my sister's room and fading away completely as she reached my parents' room doorway. (Both our rooms faced each other at opposite ends of the hallway). When my mum dyed her hair blonde and exchanged a green dressing gown for pink one, and when she denied my questions about if she came into my room at night time, I was pretty certain that this woman figure wasn't her.

One evening I managed to get a verbal response from her. I asked "Mum, is that you?" She sat on the bed by my feet, looked at me and smiled. "I'm not your mum." She had a very deep voice and she sounded distorted almost like poor quality and fuzzy speakers. Then she got up and headed down the hallway as per usual.

I don't know why I never told anyone about her back in those days, but I guess I just thought it was normal, because it started happening to me when I was so young. However, not long before moving out of the home, my sister said to me, "I would always imagine woman walking in the hallway past my bedroom door at night time." She's still convinced she only imagined her but I find it weirdly coincidental.

The woman, however, I wasn't the only visitor I saw whilst living in the house.

On two occasions when I was 6 or 7 years old, I remember I had come home from my school late. I was playing in my room. I saw a man with a white mask and white clothing walked past my room window. Both times I came running out of my room screaming. I told my dad what I had seen and he checked outside, however no one was there.

Another visitor I saw only came one time, but was probably the strangest. It happened when I was 6. It was late at night. Everyone was asleep but me. I noticed a shadow of a figure on my wall, no one else was in the room to make the shadow.

The shadow was very short like 3 or 4 ft tall, extremely skinny, more thin than another other person that I have met. The shadow had horns or spikes on its head and seemed to be carrying a stick or a spear or something. The figure on the wall was dancing and jumping around. Once I saw the figure I could not take my eyes of it. I was terrified but I could not stop staring. This went on for ages that night. Eventually I worked up the courage to yell out to my parents. My dad came into the room. I said, "Dad, there is a man dancing. Can I sleep with you and mum?" My dad didn't see the figure even though it was still there on the wall. He said it wasn't there and told me it was all in my head. Noticing that I wouldn't sleep in my room, he offered to let me sleep in the living room.

As my dad carried me up the hallway on the way to the living room, I noticed the figure follow us. I tried telling my dad but he didn't believe me. My dad left me on the coach with a blanket and pillow, and there the shadow was again, still dancing away. I kept watching the figure until I eventually fell asleep as the sun began to rise. When I woke up the figure was gone.

Once we had left the house and settled into the new place (9 years old) I told my mum what I had saw in the old house. Probably because I was older and I was realising that what I saw wasn't the usual thing for kids to experience. My mum told me that whenever she slept in my room (when I was sick, I'd sleep in my parents room with dad so he could make sure I was okay and mum would sleep in my room) she could never get to sleep and she was so sure that she could feel the presence of someone standing next to the bed watching her even though she couldn't see anyone there.

Since moving out of the house I haven't seen anything similar to what I did in the Mermaid Waters house. I'd love to know if anyone has had any similar situations happen to them or would be able to tell me what those beings were and what was the attraction to my room. I'm just curious and the thinking about what happened still gives me the spooks.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 94JAKE94, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

VermontVampyre (2 stories) (64 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-08-24)
I know I'm a little late on this post. However, I doubt the lady was a demon. From what I understand about demons is they live to cause fear and other negative feelings. No where did the OP admit to being frightened of this figure. In fact when seeing it he just kept asking 'are you my mum?'. If the OP felt any fear at all he would have instinctively known it wasn't his mother. Besides if it was a demon it wouldn't have told the OP 'no' to his question and it would have done more then pace the room and walk the hall. The distorted voice could have been the spirit not having enough energy to come through clearly.

I myself would have called it a residual... Except she spoke. I'm guessing shes an intelligent haunt who is just happy enough to be noticed during her 'routine'.

The other figures I'm not sure about. Though dancing stick man does sound like he could be Aboriginal in nature.
CuriousGuy (2 stories) (47 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-27)
94JAKE94 - that's understandable as far as not bringing it up with him anymore. I have had some people I know that arent believers and we don't really bring it up with them either.

As far as the lady, that's just what I have heard from previous poster long ago, and some other researching, however I feel like its the distorted voice that gave it away. You said that you haven't experienced anything similar since you moved so hopefully whatever was trying to pass off as your mom hasnt attached itself to anyone in the family or to any items that were taken when moving.

Peace
CuriousGuy
94JAKE94 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-25)
Thanks for looking that up Swimsinfire! I guess that would make sense for the shadow had a spear or stick in their hand.

CuriousGuy, I think you might be on to something with the lady being a demon. She did have some freakishly familiar similarities with my mum. I don't think he saw any footprints, It was too long ago for him to remember now. Dad doesn't believe in what I saw, so we don't really talk about it with him anymore.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-25)
So yaay google. Aboriginal history on the Gold Coast is 23, 000 years old. It was a popular neutral meeting ground for differing tribes, very meaningfull place for peace keeping. That all ended when Europeans showed up, and took away timber, farming, land rights, and citizenship. Same as happened in the U.S. With Native Americans. A lot of people in the States have experiences like yours and discover they live with very upset thousand year old relatives. When they find local shaman, medicine people, native holy people, to do healing for all sides involved it does wonders for the neighborhood. Only a thought.
CuriousGuy (2 stories) (47 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-25)
As far as the one with the distorted voice I would be careful. It could be more of a demon instead of an actual spirit and they are known to sometimes take the shape of something we would recognize (such as a family member or a kid) so that we would feel more comfortable around them.

You said your dad checked outside. Did he see if there were any foot prints? Like maybe if someone was lurking outside that took off by the time he got out there and maybe left behind some foot prints or something?

As far as the last one goes that one would probably creep me out a little bit. But I'm not sure what to make of it. Sounds like it may have been a shadow being but not entirely sure. I'm sure there are other people on this site that may know more about the last one than I do.

Peace
CuriousGuy
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-25)
And she took the time to sit down and smile and speak to you. That's pretty nice when you think of it. But the guy with the horns and the guy with the mask, that's a tough one. Austrailia's got a pre-European culture that's as old as humanity being human, doesn't it? I'll bet looking up the history of that area- Mermaid Waters, was it? - would be worth the efort. Now I want to look it up! 😊 Thankyou for the story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: