You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Vending Machine

Real Ghost Stories

The Vending Machine

 

This is my second story but it wasn't my second encounter with paranormal stuff. Also I wasn't really sure if it was paranormal or not. Just thought of sharing and here it goes.

I was sixteen at that time and was still living in a rental two storey bungalow. Near my house was a local mini market with a few vending machines placed at the left side of the shop. It was 3 or 4 of them if my memory was correct. The drinks inside the vending machines were mostly tropical fruits flavour. My cousin at that time was moving out from town because his father was reallocated in Australia by his firm so basically my cousin and his family have to move there with the father.

We were chatting inside my house at that particular time when he said he would like to treat me to some Chinese food. I agreed but I told him we need some drinks too so we decided to walk to the vending machines which were located near my house. It was nearly 6 pm. When we got there the shop was almost closed. The vending machines were quite popular at our local town at that time because each of the can was printed with alphabet words, one alphabet per can. The owner being business minded used to put up certain word every month in front of the vending machines. The rule is simple. If you can make up the word using the cans from the vending machines you will get hundred bucks. The word for that month was "GHOST". My cousin just laughed it off and he said the owner was brilliant because of his strategy, the cans were selling fast.

Then he told me there were no such thing as ghosts, just merely our imagination. BUT of course I don't agree with him. We proceeded to the vending machine and I told him my coins weren't enough. He said not to worry as he has plenty. He was just about to insert the coin into the machine when the top most button turned red. It only become red if someone enter the sufficient amount of coins before the instruction of pressing the drink appears. We were surprised because no one was there previously. We can see it from the street that no one was there.

My cousin didn't think much so he just pressed the button. More surprisingly there were 7 cans coming out from the machine continuously. The odd thing was the vending machine can only read one instruction at a time and we can clearly see no amount of coins written on the screen of the machine. Each vending machine has a tiny little screen where you can see the amount of coins you have inserted and if it was enough or not. I lost my words for about 1 minute and I suggested it might be some kind of paranormal being having fun with us because I could feel the atmosphere around us was different than it normally does. My cousin still with his denial and said it was the faulty machine problem and we were lucky to have free drinks.

It wasn't until we returned home that he decided to stack the cans on top of the fridge while waiting for the food delivery. The 7 cans were actually forming the word 'GOODBYE'! Coincidence or paranormal? I am not really sure. You decide.

Other hauntings by JeunaBella

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JeunaBella, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

eternal_flame (22 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-03)
Wow, I sure wish a ghost would give me free soda's. Seems like something playful, harmless. Still kind of creepy though. Thanks for sharing.
JeunaBella (3 stories) (58 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-03)
Well I guess my cousin was lucky because he didn't use any single coin at all.:D Most of our vending operates using coins only. I am not that familiar with vending machines but hopefully I can have some free drinks sometimes.:)
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-02)
The first drink that comes out was paid for, but after that, no coins in the machine. They just popped out one after the other. I don't think they are remote controled, but hey it would not suprise me if they invented that soon. The ones I have at work, they have a card reader attached to them and you could either use your credit/debit card, or coins and paper money.
JeunaBella (3 stories) (58 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-02)
Did the vending machines pop out the drinks without coins being inserted as well? My cousin never inserted any coins and the drinks just come out just like that. Do you know if they are controlled by some kind of remote? As I stated before I'm unsure if it was paranormal because of the too much coincidence.
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
I don't think this is paranormal at all. Where I work right now, we have between 6 and 8 vending machines just for bottled soda. I have had 2 of the machines pop out several sodas at one time. Then work really great for several months before messing up again. As for the spelling of goodbye, it is possible for the owner to place the cans that way on purpose, not suspecting the machine would do that. Another place I worked at, the vending machine did that to me as well, but I had more than a 12 pack pop out all at once. I even called the vending machine company and reported it. They never came and got their product. (lucky for me.)
JeunaBella (3 stories) (58 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
After my cousin moved out, the drink promotion has been going on for roughly 6 months. I have been asking regular customer of the shop but none of them ever experienced that 'coincidence'. I'm not sure if the machines were controlled by remote control or whatsoever and I never mentioned it to the owner in case he would ask for some payments for the drinks and I wouldn't dare too. It was actually my cousin who called out to me when he saw the cans were forming the goodbye. He was surprised back then and we never mentioned it again until today.
Griff84 (5 stories) (289 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
Hi JeunaBella, I think this could have been a faulty machine, or even something the shop keeper could have set up for publicity, do you know if the drinks promotion ended soon after this event occurred?

I do find the good bye odd, especially with the word of the week being 'ghost' sooo you never know 😉
TeenyTiny (10 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-01)
I think the "goodbye" was meant for your cousin who was moving away. I'd like to think a spirit heard his statement about ghosts being a bunch of hooey and it wanted to have a little fun with him. Like "Look at this kid saying he doesn't believe in me... Let's give him a little message to shake his disbelief a tad."
Great story... I had a good chuckle at the end when you revealed what the cans spelled.
And that store owner! He is a clever one!:)
JeunaBella (3 stories) (58 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-30)
Thank you for commenting. It wasn't scary to me as it doesn't seem threatening at all. I thought maybe the 'goodbye' message was directed to my cousin BUT doe-eyedharu comment made me think the thing or whatever it was intended to direct a parting message for itself. Maybe it want to leave that particular area/vending machines and it has left. I have many other stories to tell but my spare time is limited but I'll try my best to post another one sooner. And please pardon my English as I am still learning the language.:-)
Alduin (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-30)
Sounds paranormal... And scary as fudge. Post more stories please :D
doe-eyedharu (2 stories) (14 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-30)
I find this story v.interesting... It might be co-incidence but there is the last part 'good bye'. Its a sign whatever it may be has left. So no need to worry 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: